Laying Our Lives DownHow has Jesus’ example inspired you to freely give of yourself?
Top Music Videos
Pillar of Truth
1 Timothy 3:14
This is the church of the
living God, which is the
pillar and foundation of
the truth (v.15).
My friend doesn’t like the idea of attending church.
She says, “People leave their brains at the
A contemporary poet describes the church this way:
“Outwardly splendid as of old; inwardly sparkless, void
and cold. Her force and fire all spent and gone, like the
dead moon she still shines on.”
For some people, the church is simply a place for
those who are religious. But the apostle Paul sees the
church through a different lens. He sees the church as a
significant body. It’s the “household of God,” “the church
of the living God,” and “the pillar and foundation of the
truth” (1 Timothy 3:15). The church isn’t a building, or a
meeting held in a building. The church is people—those
who’ve been born by the Spirit of God and have entered
into a new relationship with God as their Father and
each other as siblings. It’s the “household of God.”
In addition, the church belongs to the living God.
When believers gather, they experience the presence
of a God who speaks His words to them, hears their
prayers, and responds to their worship.
Unlike what some people believe, the church isn’t
an outdated remnant of the past with no relevance for
today’s society. There’s a reason for its existence. It’s the
“pillar and foundation of the truth”—created in the world
to make a difference, to introduce truth into a world
saturated with error.
May God help us, the church, to learn again who we are and what we can
do through Him. For “Christ loved the church. He gave up His life for her to
make her holy and clean, washed by the cleansing of God’s Word” (Ephesians
5:25-26). The church is a thing of great worth and value in God’s sight.
—Poh Fang Chia
How can you—as
a member of the
the household of God?
How can you lift up the
purpose of the church
to be a pillar and
foundation of truth?
Sowing the Seeds of the Gospel - Billy Graham
- Laying Our Lives Down - How has Jesus’ example inspired you to freely give of yourself?...read more
- "Brutiful" - How has God worked in “brutiful” ways in your life?...read more
- The First Day—Again - How does Jesus’ resurrection infuse you with fresh hope?...read more
- Clueless at the Light - What would others say about my influence on them?...read more
- Stinging Words - How have you experienced emotional or spiritual captivity?...read more
- Everyone Has a Story - Who needs you to listen to them? Make time for them today....read more
- Gateway of Hope - How has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?...read more
- Philip Flunked - What specific truth about God could help you with a problem you’re currently facing?...read more
- Source of All Life - Every blessing comes from God....read more
- Trapped in Sin - How can you be set free and made right with God?...read more
- Hope Beyond Discouragement - How will you point others to the Source of Hope today?...read more
- Play Your Part - How can you encourage others to fulfill their calling?...read more
- Broken Community - How do we live out holiness without becoming judgmental of others?...read more
- Giving Out Love - How has God provided for you and those you love?...read more
- Assets that Matter - How can you submit more fully to the Holy Spirit’s refining work in your life?...read more
- The Skeptic - What doubt about God is most persistent in your thoughts?...read more