Top Christian Music Videos
Keep counting until the day after the seventh Sabbath, fifty days later. Then present an offering of new grain to the Lord (v.16).
Christians observe Pentecost Sunday as the day the Holy Spirit was given to the church. Some celebrate it as the church’s birthday. Contrary to popular belief, the Day of Pentecost didn’t begin with the church. Pentecost is a very important ancient Jewish festival—the fourth of seven major Levitical feasts to be observed by every Jew at the temple in Jerusalem (Leviticus 23:16).
The Passover commemorates the event when the blood of the lamb saved the Jews from judgment and death (Leviticus 23:5). Thousands of years later, Jesus died on the day of the Passover (Mark 15:42). Paul declares, “[Christ], our Passover Lamb, has been sacrificed for us” (1 Corinthians 1:7).
The Celebration of First Harvest or First fruits (Leviticus 23:9) is celebrated 3 days later, “the day after the Sabbath.” Barley, the first crop to be harvested (March to April), is presented to God in thanksgiving (v.10) and in anticipation of a much bigger wheat harvest to follow. Applying this to the resurrection, Paul proclaims, “Christ is the first of a great harvest of all who have died. . . . Then all who belong to Christ will be raised when He comes back” (1 Corinthians 15:20).
The Jews were to “count off 7 full weeks . . . until the day after the seventh Sabbath, 50 days later” to celebrate the Festival of Harvest (Leviticus 23:15), known also as Feast of Weeks or Pentecost (from the Greek word meaning “50th”). By that time (May to June), the wheat crop was ready to be fully harvested (Exodus 34:22).
Pentecost is a thanksgiving celebration honoring God for a bountiful harvest (Deuteronomy 16:9). It’s on this specific day that God gave His church the Holy Spirit (Acts 2:1) and a bountiful harvest of 3,000 souls.
Read the following verses to see what Jesus said about the harvest (Matthew 9:36).
Pentecost is a festival commemorating the harvest. What are you doing to participate in this harvest? What “new grain” will you bring to God? (Leviticus 23:16).
- Love in Action - How can you show Christ’s love to someone in need with both your words and your actions?...read more
- Generous Hearts - Have you ever been the recipient of someone else’s generosity?...read more
- Persecuted but Growing - Have you ever seen God use something negative or discouraging to accomplish something amazing?...read more
- Autumn Moments - What season of life are you in right now?...read more
- Where Love Flourishes - How does the love of a man and woman united in Christ reflect the love God has for us?...read more
- You're Needed - How are you serving the body of Christ?...read more
- Not Coming Back - How does Jesus’ sacrificial example inspire you today?...read more
- Everything Matters - In God’s vision for the world, everything matters....read more
- Valid! - Our value comes from God in whose image we all have been created....read more
- Cupcake Face - Do you have a sin in your life you’ve been trying to hide from God?...read more
- Four Views - Have you ever wished that the Bible was written differently or in a way that was easier for you to understand?...read more
- Perfect Peace - Are you living out God’s “perfect peace”?...read more
- Cherished Possessions - Do you share the same love, empathy, and care for sinners?...read more
- Is This Heaven? - What do you think about heaven and earth?...read more
- Another View - How can the suffering of another person be used by God to help others grow in Him?...read more
- Good Company - How do you choose the company that you keep?...read more