Happy Ascension DayWhat’s one way you can celebrate the ascension of Jesus Christ today?
Top Music Videos
Keep counting until the day after the seventh Sabbath, fifty days later. Then present an offering of new grain to the Lord (v.16).
Christians observe Pentecost Sunday as the day the Holy Spirit was given to the church. Some celebrate it as the church’s birthday. Contrary to popular belief, the Day of Pentecost didn’t begin with the church. Pentecost is a very important ancient Jewish festival—the fourth of seven major Levitical feasts to be observed by every Jew at the temple in Jerusalem (Leviticus 23:16).
The Passover commemorates the event when the blood of the lamb saved the Jews from judgment and death (Leviticus 23:5). Thousands of years later, Jesus died on the day of the Passover (Mark 15:42). Paul declares, “[Christ], our Passover Lamb, has been sacrificed for us” (1 Corinthians 1:7).
The Celebration of First Harvest or First fruits (Leviticus 23:9) is celebrated 3 days later, “the day after the Sabbath.” Barley, the first crop to be harvested (March to April), is presented to God in thanksgiving (v.10) and in anticipation of a much bigger wheat harvest to follow. Applying this to the resurrection, Paul proclaims, “Christ is the first of a great harvest of all who have died. . . . Then all who belong to Christ will be raised when He comes back” (1 Corinthians 15:20).
The Jews were to “count off 7 full weeks . . . until the day after the seventh Sabbath, 50 days later” to celebrate the Festival of Harvest (Leviticus 23:15), known also as Feast of Weeks or Pentecost (from the Greek word meaning “50th”). By that time (May to June), the wheat crop was ready to be fully harvested (Exodus 34:22).
Pentecost is a thanksgiving celebration honoring God for a bountiful harvest (Deuteronomy 16:9). It’s on this specific day that God gave His church the Holy Spirit (Acts 2:1) and a bountiful harvest of 3,000 souls.
Read the following verses to see what Jesus said about the harvest (Matthew 9:36).
Pentecost is a festival commemorating the harvest. What are you doing to participate in this harvest? What “new grain” will you bring to God? (Leviticus 23:16).
- Happy Ascension Day - What’s one way you can celebrate the ascension of Jesus Christ today?...read more
- Mixed Bag - Are there any blind spots in your life?...read more
- All We Need - How might you trust God for the bounty He alone can provide?...read more
- Simple Things - What simple pleasures can you rediscover with God today?...read more
- Thirsty? - How has God provided our identity and significance in Jesus?...read more
- Freedom from Stress - How can loving and obeying God help you to find the peace He has promised His children?...read more
- Portrait of Jesus - What did Jesus endure for you?...read more
- Slow Learners - What are you struggling to understand in your faith journey with Jesus?...read more
- The Same God - Why would it be wrong for God to not deal with sin in such a serious way?...read more
- In Jesus’ Love - What Scripture verses have been most encouraging to you?...read more
- Don’t Hesitate - How can you become more confident in sharing your faith?...read more
- Broken Instruments - Has anyone ever paid the cost of fixing something you’ve broken or destroyed?...read more
- True Sacrifice - How can you better remind yourself of your great wealth in Christ?...read more
- Jesus and the Junk - What are you trying to hide from God and others?...read more
- Changing Our Tune - What angers you today and why?...read more
- Blending In - What does it mean to stand for Jesus instead of blending in?...read more