Happy Ascension DayWhat’s one way you can celebrate the ascension of Jesus Christ today?
Top Music Videos
My biggest problem with â€˜The Lord's Prayer,' " wrote Helen in response to an online post, "is knowing which version we're using. . . . It's always assumed we know it by heart, but I first learned trespasses, then learned sins and now am confronted by debts and debtors. So, when â€˜we will now say the Lord's Prayer' is announced, instead of being able to pray and mean it, I'm nervous and wondering which version to use, which rather defeats the point of saying it together aloud."
Like Helen, you might find your mind and heart distracted from the essence of prayer for any number of reasons. Be it choice of words, varying Bible translations, or conflicting philosophies about liturgical readings, thetopic of prayer, particularly the Lord's Prayer, garners much discussion and theological debate. By taking a closer look at Luke 11:2-4, we can see that much confusion over this passage stems from Jesus' preamble, in which He tells His disciples, "This is how you should pray." Many interpret His instructions to mean this is the only way you should pray. To the contrary, throughout the New Testament Jesus builds on His suggested framework of prayer. In the Gospel of Luke, for example, He directs us to: â€¢ Pray for those who hurt you (6:28). â€¢ Pray continually and with persistence (18:1-5). â€¢ Pray that you will not give in to temptation (22:40,46). Scripture emphasizes that there is power in prayer. Respectively, Jesus wanted His disciples and wants you to experience deeper fellowship with the Lord through an enriched prayer life.
Ask God to give you renewed appreciation for the Lord's Prayer, to grant you fresh insights into the verses, and to help you find joy as you meditate on the words and lift them up to God. , Roxanne Robbins, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Happy Ascension Day - What’s one way you can celebrate the ascension of Jesus Christ today?...read more
- Mixed Bag - Are there any blind spots in your life?...read more
- All We Need - How might you trust God for the bounty He alone can provide?...read more
- Simple Things - What simple pleasures can you rediscover with God today?...read more
- Thirsty? - How has God provided our identity and significance in Jesus?...read more
- Freedom from Stress - How can loving and obeying God help you to find the peace He has promised His children?...read more
- Portrait of Jesus - What did Jesus endure for you?...read more
- Slow Learners - What are you struggling to understand in your faith journey with Jesus?...read more
- The Same God - Why would it be wrong for God to not deal with sin in such a serious way?...read more
- In Jesus’ Love - What Scripture verses have been most encouraging to you?...read more
- Don’t Hesitate - How can you become more confident in sharing your faith?...read more
- Broken Instruments - Has anyone ever paid the cost of fixing something you’ve broken or destroyed?...read more
- True Sacrifice - How can you better remind yourself of your great wealth in Christ?...read more
- Jesus and the Junk - What are you trying to hide from God and others?...read more
- Changing Our Tune - What angers you today and why?...read more
- Blending In - What does it mean to stand for Jesus instead of blending in?...read more