Sound SensitiveJust as with Samuel, may we know the presence of God throughout the day.
Top Music Videos
My biggest problem with â€˜The Lord's Prayer,' " wrote Helen in response to an online post, "is knowing which version we're using. . . . It's always assumed we know it by heart, but I first learned trespasses, then learned sins and now am confronted by debts and debtors. So, when â€˜we will now say the Lord's Prayer' is announced, instead of being able to pray and mean it, I'm nervous and wondering which version to use, which rather defeats the point of saying it together aloud."
Like Helen, you might find your mind and heart distracted from the essence of prayer for any number of reasons. Be it choice of words, varying Bible translations, or conflicting philosophies about liturgical readings, thetopic of prayer, particularly the Lord's Prayer, garners much discussion and theological debate. By taking a closer look at Luke 11:2-4, we can see that much confusion over this passage stems from Jesus' preamble, in which He tells His disciples, "This is how you should pray." Many interpret His instructions to mean this is the only way you should pray. To the contrary, throughout the New Testament Jesus builds on His suggested framework of prayer. In the Gospel of Luke, for example, He directs us to: â€¢ Pray for those who hurt you (6:28). â€¢ Pray continually and with persistence (18:1-5). â€¢ Pray that you will not give in to temptation (22:40,46). Scripture emphasizes that there is power in prayer. Respectively, Jesus wanted His disciples and wants you to experience deeper fellowship with the Lord through an enriched prayer life.
Ask God to give you renewed appreciation for the Lord's Prayer, to grant you fresh insights into the verses, and to help you find joy as you meditate on the words and lift them up to God. , Roxanne Robbins, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Sound Sensitive - Just as with Samuel, may we know the presence of God throughout the day....read more
- Rich in Good Works - How can you encourage other believers in Jesus to “be rich in good works”?...read more
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more