Connecting the DotsWhat good work is God doing in your life?
Top Music Videos
When will I wake up so I can look for another drink? (v.35).
Paul Sneddon took the corner too fast. Crashing
through a wooden barrier, he flipped his Ford
Laser. When he realized there was no way out of
the wreck, he popped open a brew and drank it down
while waiting to be rescued. Later, he admitted that at the
time of the accident, he “had been drinking for 4 days
The driver’s inebriated state caused the crash, and yet
he declared happy hour at the scene of the accident! The
situation reminded me of this proverb: “A fool repeats his
foolishness” (Proverbs 26:11).
So, how do we avoid the foolish behavior associated
with alcohol? Solomon issued this warning: “Don’t gaze
at the wine, seeing how red it is, how it sparkles in the
cup, how smoothly it goes down” (23:31). Drinking
may be enticing, but “in the end [alcohol] bites like a
poisonous snake” (v.32).
Because of its deceptive nature, we can get into trouble
with booze before we realize what’s happening. One sip
usually leads to several, which can lead to drunkenness.
The Bible cautions us, “Don’t be drunk with wine,
because that will ruin your life” (Ephesians 5:18).
When we open the door to drunkenness, we risk letting
it become a lifestyle. At first, getting smashed is rare;
then it’s a once-in-a-while thing. Then it can become so
frequent that every happy hour ends with hugging the commode. It’s possible to
become like the carouser in Proverbs who falls asleep wondering, “When will I
wake up so I can look for another drink?” (23:35).
Happy hour, hangover, sober, gotta find a drink—God doesn’t want us to
live in the bondage of this cycle. He’s given us sufficient warning, but we’ve got
to do our part and keep our distance from alcohol’s devastating effect.
—Jennifer Benson Schuldt
Read 2 Peter 2:19 to
see why Christians should
avoid getting tangled up
in sin that enslaves.
If alcohol is not a
temptation for you, what
else tempts you to enter
into a sinful cycle? What
can you do to avoid
foolish and addictive
- Connecting the Dots - What good work is God doing in your life?...read more
- Responding to Suffering - How do you feel when your life is interrupted by suffering and adversity?...read more
- Laying Our Lives Down - How has Jesus’ example inspired you to freely give of yourself?...read more
- "Brutiful" - How has God worked in “brutiful” ways in your life?...read more
- The First Day—Again - How does Jesus’ resurrection infuse you with fresh hope?...read more
- Clueless at the Light - What would others say about my influence on them?...read more
- Stinging Words - How have you experienced emotional or spiritual captivity?...read more
- Everyone Has a Story - Who needs you to listen to them? Make time for them today....read more
- Gateway of Hope - How has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?...read more
- Philip Flunked - What specific truth about God could help you with a problem you’re currently facing?...read more
- Source of All Life - Every blessing comes from God....read more
- Trapped in Sin - How can you be set free and made right with God?...read more
- Hope Beyond Discouragement - How will you point others to the Source of Hope today?...read more
- Play Your Part - How can you encourage others to fulfill their calling?...read more
- Broken Community - How do we live out holiness without becoming judgmental of others?...read more
- Giving Out Love - How has God provided for you and those you love?...read more