Based on a True StoryWhat restoration has God brought to your life?
Top Christian Music Videos
When will I wake up so I can look for another drink? (v.35).
Paul Sneddon took the corner too fast. Crashing
through a wooden barrier, he flipped his Ford
Laser. When he realized there was no way out of
the wreck, he popped open a brew and drank it down
while waiting to be rescued. Later, he admitted that at the
time of the accident, he “had been drinking for 4 days
The driver’s inebriated state caused the crash, and yet
he declared happy hour at the scene of the accident! The
situation reminded me of this proverb: “A fool repeats his
foolishness” (Proverbs 26:11).
So, how do we avoid the foolish behavior associated
with alcohol? Solomon issued this warning: “Don’t gaze
at the wine, seeing how red it is, how it sparkles in the
cup, how smoothly it goes down” (23:31). Drinking
may be enticing, but “in the end [alcohol] bites like a
poisonous snake” (v.32).
Because of its deceptive nature, we can get into trouble
with booze before we realize what’s happening. One sip
usually leads to several, which can lead to drunkenness.
The Bible cautions us, “Don’t be drunk with wine,
because that will ruin your life” (Ephesians 5:18).
When we open the door to drunkenness, we risk letting
it become a lifestyle. At first, getting smashed is rare;
then it’s a once-in-a-while thing. Then it can become so
frequent that every happy hour ends with hugging the commode. It’s possible to
become like the carouser in Proverbs who falls asleep wondering, “When will I
wake up so I can look for another drink?” (23:35).
Happy hour, hangover, sober, gotta find a drink—God doesn’t want us to
live in the bondage of this cycle. He’s given us sufficient warning, but we’ve got
to do our part and keep our distance from alcohol’s devastating effect.
—Jennifer Benson Schuldt
Read 2 Peter 2:19 to
see why Christians should
avoid getting tangled up
in sin that enslaves.
If alcohol is not a
temptation for you, what
else tempts you to enter
into a sinful cycle? What
can you do to avoid
foolish and addictive
- Based on a True Story - What restoration has God brought to your life?...read more
- New Beginnings - How has God equipped you to follow Him?...read more
- What's Important - How has God been training you lately?...read more
- Choosing to Forget - What painful memory is holding you back from peace with God?...read more
- Not about Fame - How has Jesus changed your life?...read more
- Faithful and True - What experiences have shaped your understanding of what it means to be faithful?...read more
- Living Houses of Prayer - What does it mean for you to be a living house of prayer?...read more
- Test of Courage - Read Proverbs 21:30-31 to see how true success depends on God....read more
- Calling on the Air - In what ways have you called on God for direction ?...read more
- Only the Beginning - What hope has God brought you today?...read more
- Disciplined for Freedom - Praise God and display your gratitude to Him today!...read more
- What Will We Become? - What does it mean for you to be God’s masterpiece?...read more
- Taking the Hate - Which portions of the Bible trouble you the most?...read more
- Not a Distant God - Read Romans 8:31-39 to be reminded of the intimate love God has for us....read more
- A Greater Power - Read Jeremiah 31:20-25 and consider the power of God’s restoration...read more
- Anger Management - Read Matthew 5:21-22 to see what Jesus said about anger and sin....read more