Begging the Question?Do you ever feel pressure to share your faith in ways that seem awkward to you?
Top Music Videos
[The Pharisees] came and started to argue with [Jesus]. Testing Him,
they demanded that He show them a miraculous sign (v.11).
Best-selling author John Eldredge recently wrote a
book about Jesus titled Beautiful Outlaw. One of
the things that struck Eldredge as he researched
and wrote his new work was noting how grounded Jesus
was as a person.
Eldredge wrote that Jesus had the “ability to navigate
praise, then hatred, false flattery, then adoring crowds,
vicious slander, and then people who simply don’t
care—all with a grace and a sense of self that was
simply stunning. Here was one grounded man.”
Jesus’ days were filled with ups and downs. For
example, consider one of the times the religious leaders
came to test Him—pressuring Jesus for another sign
to prove Himself (Mark 8:11). He had just arrived
from the other side of the Sea of Galilee where He had
miraculously fed 4,000 people with some fish and a few
loaves of bread (vv.1-10). But that miracle (along with
many others) wasn’t enough proof for the religious elite.
They demanded more, but Jesus knew there was no
point in doing more. Their hearts and minds were far
A less-grounded person might have buckled under the
pressure and given in to their demands, but not Jesus. He
refused to enter into a needless debate. Only a wellgrounded
person could pull that off.
In order for us to stay grounded, Eldredge suggests the following: “Cut the
insane busyness. Do not live for tweets, texts, Facebook, or email. Unplug the
TV. Read Christian writers. . . . Practice solitude and silence (5 minutes a day
will rescue you). . . . Get back in the Scriptures.”
Intentionally centering ourselves in Jesus’ truth and grace is the best place
to begin. It may not change our circumstances, but abiding in Him will help us
honor His ways and keep us grounded.
Read Luke 5:16 and note what helped keep Jesus grounded.
How are you staying grounded in Jesus? What changes do you need to
make so that you can be refreshed by Him?
- Begging the Question? - Do you ever feel pressure to share your faith in ways that seem awkward to you?...read more
- Fulfilled - Why is it important to view Old Testament laws through the lens of Jesus’ fulfillment of them?...read more
- Red Houses - What has God given you—time, finances, ability—that you can use to help someone in need today?...read more
- Tongues Afire - When have you recently endured the wound of another person’s words?...read more
- True Fellowship - What comes to your mind when you hear the word fellowship?...read more
- After 35 - What does it mean for you to rely on God in all things?...read more
- The Failure Wall - In what ways do you need to be prepared for encounters with spiritual enemies?...read more
- Worship 101 - What can you praise God for today?...read more
- Distance - What expectations do you have of fellow church members when it comes to meeting your needs?...read more
- Sarcasm and Sincerity - Do your words provide a safe environment for others?...read more
- Empty Spaces - What’s taking up space in your heart?...read more
- Showing the Way - How prepared are you to share your faith with others?...read more
- New Address? - Where’s the line between worrying and simply pondering a decision?...read more
- Real Stewardship - How are you using your gifts and talents to bring God to others?...read more
- Korah’s Redemption - How has God revealed His redeeming ways to you?...read more
- Stuff We Need - How can you give lavishly to God and others today?...read more