Seasons of GriefAre you going through a season of grief where you are struggling to grieve?
Top Music Videos
[The Pharisees] came and started to argue with [Jesus]. Testing Him,
they demanded that He show them a miraculous sign (v.11).
Best-selling author John Eldredge recently wrote a
book about Jesus titled Beautiful Outlaw. One of
the things that struck Eldredge as he researched
and wrote his new work was noting how grounded Jesus
was as a person.
Eldredge wrote that Jesus had the “ability to navigate
praise, then hatred, false flattery, then adoring crowds,
vicious slander, and then people who simply don’t
care—all with a grace and a sense of self that was
simply stunning. Here was one grounded man.”
Jesus’ days were filled with ups and downs. For
example, consider one of the times the religious leaders
came to test Him—pressuring Jesus for another sign
to prove Himself (Mark 8:11). He had just arrived
from the other side of the Sea of Galilee where He had
miraculously fed 4,000 people with some fish and a few
loaves of bread (vv.1-10). But that miracle (along with
many others) wasn’t enough proof for the religious elite.
They demanded more, but Jesus knew there was no
point in doing more. Their hearts and minds were far
A less-grounded person might have buckled under the
pressure and given in to their demands, but not Jesus. He
refused to enter into a needless debate. Only a wellgrounded
person could pull that off.
In order for us to stay grounded, Eldredge suggests the following: “Cut the
insane busyness. Do not live for tweets, texts, Facebook, or email. Unplug the
TV. Read Christian writers. . . . Practice solitude and silence (5 minutes a day
will rescue you). . . . Get back in the Scriptures.”
Intentionally centering ourselves in Jesus’ truth and grace is the best place
to begin. It may not change our circumstances, but abiding in Him will help us
honor His ways and keep us grounded.
Read Luke 5:16 and note what helped keep Jesus grounded.
How are you staying grounded in Jesus? What changes do you need to
make so that you can be refreshed by Him?
- Seasons of Grief - Are you going through a season of grief where you are struggling to grieve?...read more
- John's Question - What steps can you take to seek God’s perspective in a current challenging situation?...read more
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more
- The Narrow Door - How can salvation be a free gift simply received and yet still require our response?...read more
- Last Dance - How can you focus on thoughts that are lovely and admirable today?...read more