Staying TrueOur ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze.
Top Christian Music Videos
[The Pharisees] came and started to argue with [Jesus]. Testing Him,
they demanded that He show them a miraculous sign (v.11).
Best-selling author John Eldredge recently wrote a
book about Jesus titled Beautiful Outlaw. One of
the things that struck Eldredge as he researched
and wrote his new work was noting how grounded Jesus
was as a person.
Eldredge wrote that Jesus had the “ability to navigate
praise, then hatred, false flattery, then adoring crowds,
vicious slander, and then people who simply don’t
care—all with a grace and a sense of self that was
simply stunning. Here was one grounded man.”
Jesus’ days were filled with ups and downs. For
example, consider one of the times the religious leaders
came to test Him—pressuring Jesus for another sign
to prove Himself (Mark 8:11). He had just arrived
from the other side of the Sea of Galilee where He had
miraculously fed 4,000 people with some fish and a few
loaves of bread (vv.1-10). But that miracle (along with
many others) wasn’t enough proof for the religious elite.
They demanded more, but Jesus knew there was no
point in doing more. Their hearts and minds were far
A less-grounded person might have buckled under the
pressure and given in to their demands, but not Jesus. He
refused to enter into a needless debate. Only a wellgrounded
person could pull that off.
In order for us to stay grounded, Eldredge suggests the following: “Cut the
insane busyness. Do not live for tweets, texts, Facebook, or email. Unplug the
TV. Read Christian writers. . . . Practice solitude and silence (5 minutes a day
will rescue you). . . . Get back in the Scriptures.”
Intentionally centering ourselves in Jesus’ truth and grace is the best place
to begin. It may not change our circumstances, but abiding in Him will help us
honor His ways and keep us grounded.
Read Luke 5:16 and note what helped keep Jesus grounded.
How are you staying grounded in Jesus? What changes do you need to
make so that you can be refreshed by Him?
- Staying True - Our ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze....read more
- Write Your Epitaph - How are you growing in your faith and the proclaiming of it?...read more
- What Happens in the End - Are you feeling hopeless and weary? Be reminded of what happens in the end!...read more
- Stop Painting Your Bucket - Who you are is who you are in Jesus....read more
- What We Have - When do you feel most grateful?...read more
- God's Perspective - What has God called you to do that might appear to be too challenging?...read more
- More than Walking on Water - Do you ever find yourself focusing more on what God can do than on who He is?...read more
- The Spirit’s Wind - In what areas of your life have you been laboring in your own strength instead of God’s power?...read more
- Laying Down Your Life - What does it mean for you to embrace Jesus as the One who laid down His life for you?...read more
- Hidden Costs - What are some ways you can avoid falling prey to Satan’s hidden costs this week?...read more
- Limits - How often are you weary or stressed from church work?...read more
- Healing Prayer - Why is it important for us to bring our pain and suffering to God?...read more
- Pleasing God in the Mundane - Do you sometimes feel drained by serving God and others?...read more
- Avoiding Mean Streets - In what ways have you been entering deeper into God’s wisdom or moving farther away from it?...read more
- The Presence of Jesus - What past or current sinful choice has caused you to experience shame?...read more
- When We See Jesus - Do you long to see Jesus?...read more