Starting OverHave you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?
Top Music Videos
Anyone who listens to My teaching and follows it is wise, like a person who builds a house on solid rock (v.24).
In many parts of the world, it’s an amazing time to be a Christian. Most of us can walk down the street and find a church to join. If none interests us, we can go online and download our favorite preacher’s sermons in minutes. Hours and hours of biblical teaching for free. And Scripture! Most of us can read the Bible in our own language and in many different versions. We can buy it in softcover, red-letter, and slim-line formats. We can read it, listen to it, or watch it dramatized. Bible commentaries and devotional iPhone apps are ours for the downloading.
We can watch Christian TV, listen to Christian radio, comment on Christian websites, and download Christian music in every genre imaginable. And what about the Christian gifts we can buy! Cups, calendars, T-shirts, and fridge magnets all adorned with Bible verses so we can always be immersed in the Word. What a treat!
Or, perhaps, what a distraction?
Jesus finished His Sermon on the Mount with a warning. But simply listening to His words amounts to nothing. What matters is that we put them into practice— being salt and light in our communities (Matthew 5:13), choosing reconciliation over bitterness (vv.Matthew 5:21), choosing faithfulness over lust (vv.Matthew 5:27), keeping our promises (vv.Matthew 5:33), loving our enemies (vv.38-48), keeping our spirituality pure (Matthew 6:1), worshiping God above possessions (vv.Matthew 5:19), refusing to condemn others (vv.1-6), and following Jesus down the narrow road of discipleship (vv.Matthew 5:13). Those who do this will weather life’s storms well (vv.Matthew 5:24). Those who don’t will be swept away (vv.Matthew 5:26).
For many of us, listening to another sermon or reading another Christian book is the last thing we need. Close the book. Switch off the iPod. Go. Act. Face the issue of discipleship you’re avoiding.
How should your belief in Jesus affect your actions? What part of His teaching are you avoiding putting into practice? Why?
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more
- The Narrow Door - How can salvation be a free gift simply received and yet still require our response?...read more
- Last Dance - How can you focus on thoughts that are lovely and admirable today?...read more
- Free to Forgive - How has God’s forgiveness changed your heart?...read more
- Friendly Wounds - What does it mean to “speak the truth in love”?...read more
- Hope Awakening - Do you tend to see the glass as half empty or half full?...read more