Kindness and HospitalityHow are you using your God-given gifts to love and serve others?
Top Christian Music Videos
Anyone who listens to My teaching and follows it is wise, like a person who builds a house on solid rock (v.24).
In many parts of the world, it’s an amazing time to be a Christian. Most of us can walk down the street and find a church to join. If none interests us, we can go online and download our favorite preacher’s sermons in minutes. Hours and hours of biblical teaching for free. And Scripture! Most of us can read the Bible in our own language and in many different versions. We can buy it in softcover, red-letter, and slim-line formats. We can read it, listen to it, or watch it dramatized. Bible commentaries and devotional iPhone apps are ours for the downloading.
We can watch Christian TV, listen to Christian radio, comment on Christian websites, and download Christian music in every genre imaginable. And what about the Christian gifts we can buy! Cups, calendars, T-shirts, and fridge magnets all adorned with Bible verses so we can always be immersed in the Word. What a treat!
Or, perhaps, what a distraction?
Jesus finished His Sermon on the Mount with a warning. But simply listening to His words amounts to nothing. What matters is that we put them into practice— being salt and light in our communities (Matthew 5:13), choosing reconciliation over bitterness (vv.Matthew 5:21), choosing faithfulness over lust (vv.Matthew 5:27), keeping our promises (vv.Matthew 5:33), loving our enemies (vv.38-48), keeping our spirituality pure (Matthew 6:1), worshiping God above possessions (vv.Matthew 5:19), refusing to condemn others (vv.1-6), and following Jesus down the narrow road of discipleship (vv.Matthew 5:13). Those who do this will weather life’s storms well (vv.Matthew 5:24). Those who don’t will be swept away (vv.Matthew 5:26).
For many of us, listening to another sermon or reading another Christian book is the last thing we need. Close the book. Switch off the iPod. Go. Act. Face the issue of discipleship you’re avoiding.
How should your belief in Jesus affect your actions? What part of His teaching are you avoiding putting into practice? Why?
- Kindness and Hospitality - How are you using your God-given gifts to love and serve others?...read more
- Rejoicing in Deep Need - What happens when you choose to rejoice in God even when you’re in deep need?...read more
- Staying True - Our ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze....read more
- Write Your Epitaph - How are you growing in your faith and the proclaiming of it?...read more
- What Happens in the End - Are you feeling hopeless and weary? Be reminded of what happens in the end!...read more
- Stop Painting Your Bucket - Who you are is who you are in Jesus....read more
- What We Have - When do you feel most grateful?...read more
- God's Perspective - What has God called you to do that might appear to be too challenging?...read more
- More than Walking on Water - Do you ever find yourself focusing more on what God can do than on who He is?...read more
- The Spirit’s Wind - In what areas of your life have you been laboring in your own strength instead of God’s power?...read more
- Laying Down Your Life - What does it mean for you to embrace Jesus as the One who laid down His life for you?...read more
- Hidden Costs - What are some ways you can avoid falling prey to Satan’s hidden costs this week?...read more
- Limits - How often are you weary or stressed from church work?...read more
- Healing Prayer - Why is it important for us to bring our pain and suffering to God?...read more
- Pleasing God in the Mundane - Do you sometimes feel drained by serving God and others?...read more
- Avoiding Mean Streets - In what ways have you been entering deeper into God’s wisdom or moving farther away from it?...read more