Awaken Your Hope Jesus stirred embers of hope and life within His disciples.
Top Christian Music Videos
New Way of Talking
Don’t use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be
good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those
who hear them (v.29).
Recently, a woman had oral surgery and awoke
from the procedure with one alteration she wasn’t
expecting. The work on her mouth went well, but
the words that came out of her mouth sounded strange.
Her Northwestern US tone had been replaced by an
accent straight out of Transylvania. Her condition?
Foreign accent syndrome—a neurological condition
that has been documented just 60 times over the past
100 years. Something happened between the time the
woman received anesthesia and when she came to. And
it appears her new accent will stay with her for the rest of
In portions of Ephesians 4 and 5, the apostle Paul
placed the accent on a new way of talking for believers in
Jesus. He implored his readers to speak in a godly, graceseasoned
way: “Don’t use foul or abusive language. Let
everything you say be good and helpful.” Why? “So that
your words will be an encouragement to those who hear
them” (Ephesians 4:29).
In other words, the things you say will identify you with
Jesus and “the truth that comes from Him” (v.21, see 5:2),
or not. When you choose to litter your language with foul
or abusive terms (4:29)—harsh words, slander (v.31),
obscene stories, foolish talk, and coarse jokes (5:4)—you
reveal a heart of darkness, not the light of Christ (5:8).
Paul states, “This light within you produces only what is
good and right and true” (5:9). Light, not from your own means, but produced as
the “[Holy] Spirit renew[s] your thoughts and attitudes” (4:23). He alone can make
your speech “truly righteous and holy” (v.24).
So how’s your new way of talking going? Are your words revealing the light
of Christ or are they exposing the darkness in your heart? Allow the Holy Spirit to
season your speech today.
Read Proverbs 4:23 and note how Solomon addressed the
importance of a pure heart and clean speech.
What needs to change in your word choices and way of communicating?
How can you reflect the light of Jesus in your speech today
- Awaken Your Hope - Jesus stirred embers of hope and life within His disciples....read more
- Meaning Mirage - Where do you typically find meaning in life?...read more
- Dirty Laundry - When you need to confront someone, how do you react?...read more
- Tender Hearts - How can we avoid being spiritually stubborn and unresponsive to God?...read more
- The Ultimate Source - God’s goodness and faithfulness can lead us to respond in varying ways....read more
- Love in Action - How can you show Christ’s love to someone in need with both your words and your actions?...read more
- Generous Hearts - Have you ever been the recipient of someone else’s generosity?...read more
- Persecuted but Growing - Have you ever seen God use something negative or discouraging to accomplish something amazing?...read more
- Autumn Moments - What season of life are you in right now?...read more
- Where Love Flourishes - How does the love of a man and woman united in Christ reflect the love God has for us?...read more
- You're Needed - How are you serving the body of Christ?...read more
- Not Coming Back - How does Jesus’ sacrificial example inspire you today?...read more
- Everything Matters - In God’s vision for the world, everything matters....read more
- Valid! - Our value comes from God in whose image we all have been created....read more
- Cupcake Face - Do you have a sin in your life you’ve been trying to hide from God?...read more
- Four Views - Have you ever wished that the Bible was written differently or in a way that was easier for you to understand?...read more