Why Pray?What do you need to ask God for today?
Top Christian Music Videos
New Way of Talking
Don’t use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be
good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those
who hear them (v.29).
Recently, a woman had oral surgery and awoke
from the procedure with one alteration she wasn’t
expecting. The work on her mouth went well, but
the words that came out of her mouth sounded strange.
Her Northwestern US tone had been replaced by an
accent straight out of Transylvania. Her condition?
Foreign accent syndrome—a neurological condition
that has been documented just 60 times over the past
100 years. Something happened between the time the
woman received anesthesia and when she came to. And
it appears her new accent will stay with her for the rest of
In portions of Ephesians 4 and 5, the apostle Paul
placed the accent on a new way of talking for believers in
Jesus. He implored his readers to speak in a godly, graceseasoned
way: “Don’t use foul or abusive language. Let
everything you say be good and helpful.” Why? “So that
your words will be an encouragement to those who hear
them” (Ephesians 4:29).
In other words, the things you say will identify you with
Jesus and “the truth that comes from Him” (v.21, see 5:2),
or not. When you choose to litter your language with foul
or abusive terms (4:29)—harsh words, slander (v.31),
obscene stories, foolish talk, and coarse jokes (5:4)—you
reveal a heart of darkness, not the light of Christ (5:8).
Paul states, “This light within you produces only what is
good and right and true” (5:9). Light, not from your own means, but produced as
the “[Holy] Spirit renew[s] your thoughts and attitudes” (4:23). He alone can make
your speech “truly righteous and holy” (v.24).
So how’s your new way of talking going? Are your words revealing the light
of Christ or are they exposing the darkness in your heart? Allow the Holy Spirit to
season your speech today.
Read Proverbs 4:23 and note how Solomon addressed the
importance of a pure heart and clean speech.
What needs to change in your word choices and way of communicating?
How can you reflect the light of Jesus in your speech today
- Why Pray? - What do you need to ask God for today?...read more
- Love and Adoption - What does it mean to you to be adopted by your heavenly Father?...read more
- Worship and Service - Why is it so vital for you to worship God with all you are?...read more
- Holy Desperation - Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus?...read more
- Insisting on Joy - What would it look like for you to insist on joy this week?...read more
- Hot Water - Where in your spiritual life have you become complacent?...read more
- Remade - Do any areas of your life need to be remade?...read more
- God’s Renewing Presence - What can you do to experience God’s renewing presence today?...read more
- Enduring Hope - Have you lost hope and become disillusioned with life?...read more
- Grasping Grace - What does God’s grace mean to you?...read more
- Clear View - How can you seek God’s wisdom and direction today?...read more
- Led by the Spirit - How do you distinguish between the leading of the Spirit and the whims and desires of your own heart?...read more
- No Longer Lost - Where have you seen God’s love and mercy in your life?...read more
- Grace that Motivates - How can we avoid the temptation to try and earn God’s approval by doing good deeds?...read more
- Two-Winged Sun - What Scriptures inspire you today?...read more
- What Is God? - Write down three things the Bible tells you about God....read more