Are You Proud of Me?God loves us and is proud to call us His children.
Top Christian Music Videos
Pulled From Death
The instruction of the wise is like a life-giving fountain; those who accept it avoid the snares of death (v.14).
In Luxor, an Egyptian city more than 400 miles south of Cairo, medical professionals pronounced Hamdi Hafez al-Nubi dead. He was only 28 years old, far too young to die of a heart attack. His family took his body home and (following Islamic burial rites) bathed Hamdi in order to prepare him for his funeral. The hospital sent a doctor to his family’s home to endorse the death certificate; but when the doctor arrived, she found the body warm. Hamdi was alive. His mother fainted, but the Associated Press reporter happily concluded that with “the doctor’s assistance, both al-Nubi and his mother were awakened and soon were celebrating with guests.”
It’s a happy story whenever death is robbed of power. It’s a happy story any time life wins. Proverbs speaks of one repeated way death loses power: Whenever wisdom speaks, death retreats. In Proverbs, wisdom is truth that comes from the ultimate source of truth—God. And God, Scripture tells us, is also the ultimate Source of life. So, as we hear and obey God’s truth (which is what Proverbs means by wise living), we move toward life. We move toward the “life-giving fountain” (Proverbs 13:14).
As we move toward life, we’re moving away from death. We discover that we’re automatically shunning those things that distract us from God’s provision and His care—from all of His good intentions for us. When we follow God’s wisdom, we’re pulled from “the snares of death” (v.14).
Proverbs repeats these ideas often, as does the rest of the Bible. “Evil people find death” (11:19), one proverb declares. Conversely, “the one who gets wisdom loves life” (19:8 NIV). To follow God is to pursue wisdom. To follow God is to run from death.
Read Proverbs 14:27. What’s similar between this proverb and 13:14? What’s different? What does this distinction tell us?
Where in life do you need to say yes to God’s wisdom? Where do you need to say no to death?
- Are You Proud of Me? - God loves us and is proud to call us His children....read more
- View from a Distance - Why is it easy to lose sight of the future God has promised you?...read more
- Based on a True Story - What restoration has God brought to your life?...read more
- New Beginnings - How has God equipped you to follow Him?...read more
- What's Important - How has God been training you lately?...read more
- Choosing to Forget - What painful memory is holding you back from peace with God?...read more
- Not about Fame - How has Jesus changed your life?...read more
- Faithful and True - What experiences have shaped your understanding of what it means to be faithful?...read more
- Living Houses of Prayer - What does it mean for you to be a living house of prayer?...read more
- Test of Courage - Read Proverbs 21:30-31 to see how true success depends on God....read more
- Calling on the Air - In what ways have you called on God for direction ?...read more
- Only the Beginning - What hope has God brought you today?...read more
- Disciplined for Freedom - Praise God and display your gratitude to Him today!...read more
- What Will We Become? - What does it mean for you to be God’s masterpiece?...read more
- Taking the Hate - Which portions of the Bible trouble you the most?...read more
- Not a Distant God - Read Romans 8:31-39 to be reminded of the intimate love God has for us....read more