Subscribe to God’s HelpWhat temptations are you battling?
Top Music Videos
Pulled From Death
The instruction of the wise is like a life-giving fountain; those who accept it avoid the snares of death (v.14).
In Luxor, an Egyptian city more than 400 miles south of Cairo, medical professionals pronounced Hamdi Hafez al-Nubi dead. He was only 28 years old, far too young to die of a heart attack. His family took his body home and (following Islamic burial rites) bathed Hamdi in order to prepare him for his funeral. The hospital sent a doctor to his family’s home to endorse the death certificate; but when the doctor arrived, she found the body warm. Hamdi was alive. His mother fainted, but the Associated Press reporter happily concluded that with “the doctor’s assistance, both al-Nubi and his mother were awakened and soon were celebrating with guests.”
It’s a happy story whenever death is robbed of power. It’s a happy story any time life wins. Proverbs speaks of one repeated way death loses power: Whenever wisdom speaks, death retreats. In Proverbs, wisdom is truth that comes from the ultimate source of truth—God. And God, Scripture tells us, is also the ultimate Source of life. So, as we hear and obey God’s truth (which is what Proverbs means by wise living), we move toward life. We move toward the “life-giving fountain” (Proverbs 13:14).
As we move toward life, we’re moving away from death. We discover that we’re automatically shunning those things that distract us from God’s provision and His care—from all of His good intentions for us. When we follow God’s wisdom, we’re pulled from “the snares of death” (v.14).
Proverbs repeats these ideas often, as does the rest of the Bible. “Evil people find death” (11:19), one proverb declares. Conversely, “the one who gets wisdom loves life” (19:8 NIV). To follow God is to pursue wisdom. To follow God is to run from death.
Read Proverbs 14:27. What’s similar between this proverb and 13:14? What’s different? What does this distinction tell us?
Where in life do you need to say yes to God’s wisdom? Where do you need to say no to death?
- Subscribe to God’s Help - What temptations are you battling?...read more
- Taking on Too Much - What are you trying to take on that only God can do...read more
- Representing Jesus - In what practical ways can you effectively represent Christ?...read more
- Myth No More - Why must God judge His enemies and make things right?...read more
- Hidden Sins - How have you been trying to deal with your sin?...read more
- The Kingdom We Long For - What makes you most desperate for the fullness of God’s kingdom to arrive?...read more
- Offering Refuge and Hope - How can you practically and prayerfully support refugees?...read more
- Songs Before Dawn - How will you use your voice to let the good news ring out today?...read more
- Uber Conversations - How do the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit model a loving relationship?...read more
- Prayer on an Airplane - How can you prepare to share the hope you have in Jesus?...read more
- Adding Interest? - Is there something you’re holding back from God?...read more
- Lord of the Cosmos - What does Jesus being “Lord of the cosmos” mean for your future?...read more
- Farming Hope - What trial are you facing today?...read more
- Because of Sunday - How can you learn to imitate Jesus and His mindset as you face conflict?...read more
- Our Real and Present God - When have you grappled with questions about God’s nearness and presence?...read more
- Gift of Tears - What triggers your emotions?...read more