Why Pray?What do you need to ask God for today?
Top Christian Music Videos
A Song of Hope
You are blessed because you believed that the Lord would do what He said (v.45).
Fearful of its subversive text and implications, the Guatemalan government of the 1980s banned the public reading or singing of Mary’s Magnificat (Luke 1:47). It’s the poetic hymn Mary sang after the angel had announced that she would give birth to a baby from God. One might wonder how a tender song from sweet Mary about a little baby could possibly be a threat to powers of any political regime. We typically hear this text in beautiful choral arrangements during Christmas holidays, and the whole affair seems quite docile. We need to hear it again.
When Mary sang this song, Herod sat on the throne. Herod was a vile ruler who had murdered his own children to stay in power and who had taxed the destitute and poor in order to build grand edifices. Soon, after learning that a rival King had been born, Herod would murder the male babies in every Israelite family “in and around Bethlehem” (Matthew 2:16) in order to squash Him. If that were not enough, above Herod sat the Roman emperor ruling with an iron fist.
Picture being an Israelite under the despot Herod’s rule and you will hear Mary sing of one coming from God who has a “mighty arm” and one who “has scattered the proud and haughty ones” (Luke 1:51). Mary has your attention. Then she sings stunning words, describing the one who “has brought down princes from their thrones and exalted the humble” (v.52). With these words, your hopes resurface. God’s promises, given long ago by the prophets, are not forgotten. God will bring justice. No wonder Herod had the baby boys murdered.
During the US Civil Rights movement, an old gospel song titled “We Shall Overcome” became the anthem of hope for an oppressed generation. Mary’s song offers an anthem for every oppressed generation: God will overcome.
Read Isaiah 11:1, one of the Old Testament’s most famous prophecies. This text stood as a backdrop to Mary’s song. Where do you see similar themes?
How does Mary’s song give you hope? Where in your life do you need to sing (and believe) her song?
- Why Pray? - What do you need to ask God for today?...read more
- Love and Adoption - What does it mean to you to be adopted by your heavenly Father?...read more
- Worship and Service - Why is it so vital for you to worship God with all you are?...read more
- Holy Desperation - Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus?...read more
- Insisting on Joy - What would it look like for you to insist on joy this week?...read more
- Hot Water - Where in your spiritual life have you become complacent?...read more
- Remade - Do any areas of your life need to be remade?...read more
- God’s Renewing Presence - What can you do to experience God’s renewing presence today?...read more
- Enduring Hope - Have you lost hope and become disillusioned with life?...read more
- Grasping Grace - What does God’s grace mean to you?...read more
- Clear View - How can you seek God’s wisdom and direction today?...read more
- Led by the Spirit - How do you distinguish between the leading of the Spirit and the whims and desires of your own heart?...read more
- No Longer Lost - Where have you seen God’s love and mercy in your life?...read more
- Grace that Motivates - How can we avoid the temptation to try and earn God’s approval by doing good deeds?...read more
- Two-Winged Sun - What Scriptures inspire you today?...read more
- What Is God? - Write down three things the Bible tells you about God....read more