Awaken Your Hope Jesus stirred embers of hope and life within His disciples.
Top Christian Music Videos
A Song of Hope
You are blessed because you believed that the Lord would do what He said (v.45).
Fearful of its subversive text and implications, the Guatemalan government of the 1980s banned the public reading or singing of Mary’s Magnificat (Luke 1:47). It’s the poetic hymn Mary sang after the angel had announced that she would give birth to a baby from God. One might wonder how a tender song from sweet Mary about a little baby could possibly be a threat to powers of any political regime. We typically hear this text in beautiful choral arrangements during Christmas holidays, and the whole affair seems quite docile. We need to hear it again.
When Mary sang this song, Herod sat on the throne. Herod was a vile ruler who had murdered his own children to stay in power and who had taxed the destitute and poor in order to build grand edifices. Soon, after learning that a rival King had been born, Herod would murder the male babies in every Israelite family “in and around Bethlehem” (Matthew 2:16) in order to squash Him. If that were not enough, above Herod sat the Roman emperor ruling with an iron fist.
Picture being an Israelite under the despot Herod’s rule and you will hear Mary sing of one coming from God who has a “mighty arm” and one who “has scattered the proud and haughty ones” (Luke 1:51). Mary has your attention. Then she sings stunning words, describing the one who “has brought down princes from their thrones and exalted the humble” (v.52). With these words, your hopes resurface. God’s promises, given long ago by the prophets, are not forgotten. God will bring justice. No wonder Herod had the baby boys murdered.
During the US Civil Rights movement, an old gospel song titled “We Shall Overcome” became the anthem of hope for an oppressed generation. Mary’s song offers an anthem for every oppressed generation: God will overcome.
Read Isaiah 11:1, one of the Old Testament’s most famous prophecies. This text stood as a backdrop to Mary’s song. Where do you see similar themes?
How does Mary’s song give you hope? Where in your life do you need to sing (and believe) her song?
- Awaken Your Hope - Jesus stirred embers of hope and life within His disciples....read more
- Meaning Mirage - Where do you typically find meaning in life?...read more
- Dirty Laundry - When you need to confront someone, how do you react?...read more
- Tender Hearts - How can we avoid being spiritually stubborn and unresponsive to God?...read more
- The Ultimate Source - God’s goodness and faithfulness can lead us to respond in varying ways....read more
- Love in Action - How can you show Christ’s love to someone in need with both your words and your actions?...read more
- Generous Hearts - Have you ever been the recipient of someone else’s generosity?...read more
- Persecuted but Growing - Have you ever seen God use something negative or discouraging to accomplish something amazing?...read more
- Autumn Moments - What season of life are you in right now?...read more
- Where Love Flourishes - How does the love of a man and woman united in Christ reflect the love God has for us?...read more
- You're Needed - How are you serving the body of Christ?...read more
- Not Coming Back - How does Jesus’ sacrificial example inspire you today?...read more
- Everything Matters - In God’s vision for the world, everything matters....read more
- Valid! - Our value comes from God in whose image we all have been created....read more
- Cupcake Face - Do you have a sin in your life you’ve been trying to hide from God?...read more
- Four Views - Have you ever wished that the Bible was written differently or in a way that was easier for you to understand?...read more