Generous HeartsHave you ever been the recipient of someone else’s generosity?
Top Christian Music Videos
Don’t be selfish; don’t try to impress others. Be humble, thinking of
others as better than yourselves (v.3).
The story is told of a man who was so humble
that his city council decided to honor him with a
medallion for his humility. A week after the award
ceremony, the award had to be withdrawn. Much to
the embarrassment of the council, the man had brashly
worn the medallion everywhere he went. This humorous
story reminds me of what mystery writer Helen Nielsen
once wrote: “Humility is like underwear, essential, but
indecent if it shows.” According to Bible teacher John
Stott, humility is “the rarest and fairest of all Christian
virtues.” It’s also the chief Christian virtue because it’s the
exact opposite of the worst of sins—pride.
So, is true humility possible? What does it look like?
In Philippians 2, Paul gives us a portrait of the humble
person. He presents four attitudes that help us understand
true humility—two negatives to avoid and two positives
to follow. Humble people . . .
• are not selfish (v.3). They do “nothing out of selfish
ambition” (v.3 NIV). They aren’t self-centered.
• do not “try to impress others” (v.3). They do “nothing
out of vain conceit” (v.3 NIV). They don’t seek glory for
• are always “thinking of others as better than
[themselves]” (v.3). They see the great value in others.
• don’t “look out only for [their] own interests, but take
an interest in others, too” (v.4). They balance the needs
of others with their own needs.
To be humble, we need to move away from “self” to “others”—pursuing
lowliness (v.3) and helpfulness (v.4). Bible commentator Warren Wiersbe
succinctly summed it up: “The humble person is not one who thinks meanly of
himself; he simply does not think of himself at all!”
How did Jesus demonstrate His humility as revealed in Philippians 2:5?
How would you grade yourself on how well you’re avoiding selfish
ambition and vainglory, while also thinking of others positively and
putting their needs before your own? What needs to change?
- Generous Hearts - Have you ever been the recipient of someone else’s generosity?...read more
- Persecuted but Growing - Have you ever seen God use something negative or discouraging to accomplish something amazing?...read more
- Autumn Moments - What season of life are you in right now?...read more
- Where Love Flourishes - How does the love of a man and woman united in Christ reflect the love God has for us?...read more
- You're Needed - How are you serving the body of Christ?...read more
- Not Coming Back - How does Jesus’ sacrificial example inspire you today?...read more
- Everything Matters - In God’s vision for the world, everything matters....read more
- Valid! - Our value comes from God in whose image we all have been created....read more
- Cupcake Face - Do you have a sin in your life you’ve been trying to hide from God?...read more
- Four Views - Have you ever wished that the Bible was written differently or in a way that was easier for you to understand?...read more
- Perfect Peace - Are you living out God’s “perfect peace”?...read more
- Cherished Possessions - Do you share the same love, empathy, and care for sinners?...read more
- Is This Heaven? - What do you think about heaven and earth?...read more
- Another View - How can the suffering of another person be used by God to help others grow in Him?...read more
- Good Company - How do you choose the company that you keep?...read more
- Real Faith - Read 1 Peter 1:6-9 and consider how real faith is tested and refined....read more