God's MasterpieceWhat does it mean for God’s people to be a masterpiece?
Top Christian Music Videos
Correcting Blind Spots
You know that when your faith is tested, your endurance has a chance to grow (v.3).
In The Call to Joy and Pain, Ajith Fernando, a Christian leader from Sri Lanka, wrote: “The church in each culture has its own special challenges—theological blind spots that hinder Christians from growing to full maturity in Christ. . . . I think one of the most serious theological blind spots in [today’s] western church is a defective understanding of suffering. . . . The ‘good life’— comfort, convenience, and a painless life—have become necessities that people view as basic rights. If they do not have these, they think something has gone wrong. . . . One of the results of this attitude is a severe restriction of spiritual growth, for God intends us to grow through trials.”
This is what James wanted his readers to understand. He began his epistle with a surprising command: “When troubles come your way, consider it as an opportunity for great joy” (James 1:2). James encouraged the Jewish believers to view their hardships not as a punishment or a curse, but as opportunities for rejoicing. He wasn’t encouraging them to enjoy trials or to pretend to be happy in the midst of their struggles or to try to escape from them. He was encouraging them to rejoice during their testings because of their confidence in God and because of the potential outcomes, which included endurance, a seasoned and well-developed life, and the correcting of glaring weaknesses and blind spots.
Spiritual growth doesn’t happen through comfort, convenience, and a painless life—it happens through trials and suffering. Let’s welcome testing and suffering as friends and rejoice during the difficulties, knowing that the outcome will be growth, endurance, and a reward of righteousness.
Trials reveal the level of our spiritual maturity and where we need to grow up.
Read 1 Peter 4:12 and see some additional responses to trials and suffering.
Why is a comfortable and convenient faith potentially dangerous to spiritual maturity? In what ways have trials or suffering caused you to grow spiritually?
- God's Masterpiece - What does it mean for God’s people to be a masterpiece?...read more
- Prayerful Retreat - How often do you have a “prayerful retreat” with God?...read more
- Laying Down Our Lives - What sometimes holds you back from laying down your life for others?...read more
- A Little Farther - Do you hear much about lament in your local church?...read more
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more
- Big and Small - What do you do with your worries?...read more
- A Way Out - Do you have a tendency to overestimate or underestimate?...read more
- Extravagant Love - When have you encountered God’s extravagant love?...read more