FearlessHow can you learn to trust God more deeply and follow Him more courageously?
Top Christian Music Videos
Boys to Men
I remember your genuine faith, for you share the faith that first filled your grandmother Lois and your mother Eunice. And I know that same faith continues strong in you (2 Timothy 1:5).
Studies of children who grow up in fatherless homes reveal that they often face major challenges in life. The statistics are alarming: Youths who grow up in fatherless homes are twice as likely to end up in jail as those who come from traditional two-parent families. Eighty-five percent of children who exhibit behavioral disorders and 71 percent of all high school dropouts come from fatherless homes. Ninety percent of homeless and runaway children are from fatherless homes—32 times the average!
Timothy was of mixed parentage. His mother Eunice “was a Jewish believer, but his father was a Greek” (Acts 16:1). While the Scriptures mention his grandmother Lois and mother Eunice, nothing much is said about his father. Some scholars believe that this is true because of his father not being a believer in Jesus. Others say that his father may have died while Timothy was young.
We’re left to conclude that his dad didn’t play a big role in his spiritual development and growth. Instead, Timothy was “taught the holy Scriptures from childhood” and was led to salvation by his mother and grandmother (2 Timothy 1:5, 3:14-15). He later became Paul’s protégé (2 Timothy 1:2).
Growing up in a “fatherless” home, Timothy could well have been a child at risk by today’s reckoning. But a godly mother and grandmother made up for that disadvantage and ensured that he was taught God’s Word from a young age. The faithful teaching of God’s Word and the godly influence of these two women helped Timothy to grow in his faith.
Timothy also was blessed to have the great apostle Paul as his spiritual father (2 Timothy 1:2-4). And, more importantly, he knew God as his heavenly Father. Thattruly helped him grow from a spiritually immature boy to a man of God.
What “young Timothy” can you be a parent (father, mother), grandparent, or mentor to in your family or community? Why is it vital both to mentor others and to receive?
- Fearless - How can you learn to trust God more deeply and follow Him more courageously?...read more
- Next Steps - Have you ever made a choice or taken an unwise risk that caused you pain?...read more
- Cleansing and Calling - What does it mean to follow God’s calling in your life?...read more
- Finding Refuge - What does it mean for God to be your true refuge?...read more
- Why Pray? - What do you need to ask God for today?...read more
- Love and Adoption - What does it mean to you to be adopted by your heavenly Father?...read more
- Worship and Service - Why is it so vital for you to worship God with all you are?...read more
- Holy Desperation - Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus?...read more
- Insisting on Joy - What would it look like for you to insist on joy this week?...read more
- Hot Water - Where in your spiritual life have you become complacent?...read more
- Remade - Do any areas of your life need to be remade?...read more
- God’s Renewing Presence - What can you do to experience God’s renewing presence today?...read more
- Enduring Hope - Have you lost hope and become disillusioned with life?...read more
- Grasping Grace - What does God’s grace mean to you?...read more
- Clear View - How can you seek God’s wisdom and direction today?...read more
- Led by the Spirit - How do you distinguish between the leading of the Spirit and the whims and desires of your own heart?...read more