Rejoicing in Deep NeedWhat happens when you choose to rejoice in God even when you’re in deep need?
Top Christian Music Videos
A Lot by a Lot
The Lord will withhold no good thing from those who do what is right (Psalm 84:11).
The first 4 years my adopted Ugandan son was with me, I experienced no fears about the future or my ability to support him. Recently, however, as I’ve struggled to pay bills and survive on a small ministry salary that provides us with no buffer, I’ve entered into a worrisome state. My fleshly desires have tilted toward greater financial security rather than the need to trust God’s provision on a seemingly day-to-day basis.
Living in East Africa, I’m surrounded by people suffering from extreme poverty. I know that I’m materially far better off than 98 percent of the people around me. Yet during the past 3 weeks I’ve had a hard time clinging to the truths of Psalm 84:10-12:
• The Lord “is our sun and our shield” (Psalm 84:11).
• “He gives us grace and glory” (Psalm 84:11).
• “The Lord will withhold no good thing from those who do what is right (Psalm 84:11).
• Joy is found as we trust in Him (Psalm 84:12).
Yesterday, I stopped at an ATM in Kampala, Uganda. When I emerged with cash in my hand, my 9-year-old son Wasswa said, “Mommy, God’s blessed us with money.” Somewhat skeptically, I said, “Yes, God’s providing for us bit by bit.” Wasswa sweetly replied, “Mommy, God provides for us a lot by a lot!”
God has chosen to bless me with a son who by his own example of faith challenges me to humble myself, to trust that God will lift me up in honor, and to give all my worries and care to Him (1 Peter 5:6-8).
If you sometimes struggle to rest in the truth that God will provide for all your needs, please join me in praying that He will strengthen our faith and increasingly help us to maintain our trust in Him.
Read Jeremiah 31:35 and consider how God provides for you on a daily basis.
List five unexpected ways God has provided for you in the past 2 months. Why do we often worry about the future even though we know God holds it in His hands?
- Rejoicing in Deep Need - What happens when you choose to rejoice in God even when you’re in deep need?...read more
- Staying True - Our ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze....read more
- Write Your Epitaph - How are you growing in your faith and the proclaiming of it?...read more
- What Happens in the End - Are you feeling hopeless and weary? Be reminded of what happens in the end!...read more
- Stop Painting Your Bucket - Who you are is who you are in Jesus....read more
- What We Have - When do you feel most grateful?...read more
- God's Perspective - What has God called you to do that might appear to be too challenging?...read more
- More than Walking on Water - Do you ever find yourself focusing more on what God can do than on who He is?...read more
- The Spirit’s Wind - In what areas of your life have you been laboring in your own strength instead of God’s power?...read more
- Laying Down Your Life - What does it mean for you to embrace Jesus as the One who laid down His life for you?...read more
- Hidden Costs - What are some ways you can avoid falling prey to Satan’s hidden costs this week?...read more
- Limits - How often are you weary or stressed from church work?...read more
- Healing Prayer - Why is it important for us to bring our pain and suffering to God?...read more
- Pleasing God in the Mundane - Do you sometimes feel drained by serving God and others?...read more
- Avoiding Mean Streets - In what ways have you been entering deeper into God’s wisdom or moving farther away from it?...read more
- The Presence of Jesus - What past or current sinful choice has caused you to experience shame?...read more