DistractionWhat’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?
Top Christian Music Videos
A Lot by a Lot
The Lord will withhold no good thing from those who do what is right (Psalm 84:11).
The first 4 years my adopted Ugandan son was with me, I experienced no fears about the future or my ability to support him. Recently, however, as I’ve struggled to pay bills and survive on a small ministry salary that provides us with no buffer, I’ve entered into a worrisome state. My fleshly desires have tilted toward greater financial security rather than the need to trust God’s provision on a seemingly day-to-day basis.
Living in East Africa, I’m surrounded by people suffering from extreme poverty. I know that I’m materially far better off than 98 percent of the people around me. Yet during the past 3 weeks I’ve had a hard time clinging to the truths of Psalm 84:10-12:
• The Lord “is our sun and our shield” (Psalm 84:11).
• “He gives us grace and glory” (Psalm 84:11).
• “The Lord will withhold no good thing from those who do what is right (Psalm 84:11).
• Joy is found as we trust in Him (Psalm 84:12).
Yesterday, I stopped at an ATM in Kampala, Uganda. When I emerged with cash in my hand, my 9-year-old son Wasswa said, “Mommy, God’s blessed us with money.” Somewhat skeptically, I said, “Yes, God’s providing for us bit by bit.” Wasswa sweetly replied, “Mommy, God provides for us a lot by a lot!”
God has chosen to bless me with a son who by his own example of faith challenges me to humble myself, to trust that God will lift me up in honor, and to give all my worries and care to Him (1 Peter 5:6-8).
If you sometimes struggle to rest in the truth that God will provide for all your needs, please join me in praying that He will strengthen our faith and increasingly help us to maintain our trust in Him.
Read Jeremiah 31:35 and consider how God provides for you on a daily basis.
List five unexpected ways God has provided for you in the past 2 months. Why do we often worry about the future even though we know God holds it in His hands?
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more
- Big and Small - What do you do with your worries?...read more
- A Way Out - Do you have a tendency to overestimate or underestimate?...read more
- Extravagant Love - When have you encountered God’s extravagant love?...read more
- Income vs. Investment - How will you be “rich in good works” today?...read more
- Famous in God’s Eyes - Who needs you to humbly, lovingly serve them today?...read more
- Shared Responsibility - Have you ever apologized for the actions of someone else?...read more
- How Much God Loves You - What prevents you from accepting God’s love?...read more