Connecting the DotsWhat good work is God doing in your life?
Top Music Videos
Village of Eternity
The throne of God and of the Lamb will be there, and His servants will worship Him (Revelation 22:3).
British journalist Tracey Lawson visited Campodimele, Italy, and dubbed it the “Village of Eternity.” The 1,000-year-old town rests like a crown atop a mountain, and the average resident lives 95 years. The locals eat well—mostly simple, fresh food. According to Lawson, the village is a “little cluster of medieval houses [with] olive trees on the slopes in the background.” The main piazza boasts a panoramic view of the Liri Valley, and twilight patrons of the Moonlight Café can sit outside and watch the moon ascend like a slow-moving lantern.
So what’s to stop us all from buying one-way tickets to Campodimele? The promise of someplace even better. This divine venue of the future in Israel and is called “the New Jerusalem” (Revelation 21:1-2). In this place . . .
We will interact directly with God (Revelation 22:3). “The throne of God . . . will be there, and His servants will worship Him” (Revelation 22:3). The word worship in this verse could be rendered serve. Either way, our acts of honor will be performed face-to-face with our Creator (Revelation 22:4).
We will experience God’s glorious light (Revelation 22:5). One day we’ll live in His radiance, which will negate the need for lamps, light bulbs, and even the sun!
We will reign forever and ever (Revelation 22:5). Our lives will go on indefinitely without the threat of evil (Revelation 22:15). We’ll finally experience the wonder of the words: “Everyone who believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life” (John 3:16).
Christian writer C. S. Lewis said, “If I [have] a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the [best] explanation is that I was made for another world.” Do you desire limitless time and the continual joy that comes from God’s presence? (Psalm 21:6). If so, you were made for God’s “village of eternity.”
—Jennifer Benson Schuldt
What does God’s presence mean to you as you consider the concept of eternity? How might the prospect of an eternity spent apart from God influence your concern for unbelievers?
- Connecting the Dots - What good work is God doing in your life?...read more
- Responding to Suffering - How do you feel when your life is interrupted by suffering and adversity?...read more
- Laying Our Lives Down - How has Jesus’ example inspired you to freely give of yourself?...read more
- "Brutiful" - How has God worked in “brutiful” ways in your life?...read more
- The First Day—Again - How does Jesus’ resurrection infuse you with fresh hope?...read more
- Clueless at the Light - What would others say about my influence on them?...read more
- Stinging Words - How have you experienced emotional or spiritual captivity?...read more
- Everyone Has a Story - Who needs you to listen to them? Make time for them today....read more
- Gateway of Hope - How has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?...read more
- Philip Flunked - What specific truth about God could help you with a problem you’re currently facing?...read more
- Source of All Life - Every blessing comes from God....read more
- Trapped in Sin - How can you be set free and made right with God?...read more
- Hope Beyond Discouragement - How will you point others to the Source of Hope today?...read more
- Play Your Part - How can you encourage others to fulfill their calling?...read more
- Broken Community - How do we live out holiness without becoming judgmental of others?...read more
- Giving Out Love - How has God provided for you and those you love?...read more