Persecuted but GrowingHave you ever seen God use something negative or discouraging to accomplish something amazing?
Top Christian Music Videos
Red Barn in the Andes
Give thanks to Him who alone does mighty miracles. His faithful love endures forever (Psalms 136:4).
All roads may lead to Rome, but the most dangerous road leads to Coroico, a terminal stop on Bolivia’s El Camino de la Muerte—the Road of Death. The road may be deadly, but it’s also spectacular. Clinging to the sides of the verdant, misty Andes Mountains, the sliver of highway slices through panoramic vistas and tiptoes along unforgiving drop-offs that descend into oblivion.
When my friend Terry lived in Coroico, he discovered a restaurant where a calendar was displayed with a scene familiar to him—a red barn amid a field of hay. Where Terry grew up such a view was commonplace. But in Coroico the locals raved about its magnificence. “It’s far more beautiful than anything here!” they insisted. We humans easily grow bored with the beauty that awaits us at every turn. Perhaps we could say the same about our attitude toward our mysterious, miracle producing God. We gaze right past His magnificence.
When the prophet Isaiah foretold the coming of Messiah, he used a remarkable set of titles: “Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace” (Isaiah 9:6). Just pleasant titles that are quoted at Christmas? Hardly. The implications found in those titles are infinitely profound.
The child born in Bethlehem is our Wonderful Counselor. The One crucified on a Roman cross is the Mighty God who alone will bring justice to our world. The Son given to us is somehow the Everlasting Father. The One whose “fist is still poised to strike” (v.17) is also the Prince of Peace. These are astonishing paradoxes.
Life’s road is often beautiful and often dangerous. That shouldn’t frighten us. It should give us ample motivation to praise our Creator God
Check out Psalms 136:1 for the songwriter’s take on some of God’s attributes.
What can you do to consider God’s attributes? Be creative. Take a walk in the forest or desert. Visit a run down neighborhood. Serve someone.
- Persecuted but Growing - Have you ever seen God use something negative or discouraging to accomplish something amazing?...read more
- Autumn Moments - What season of life are you in right now?...read more
- Where Love Flourishes - How does the love of a man and woman united in Christ reflect the love God has for us?...read more
- You're Needed - How are you serving the body of Christ?...read more
- Not Coming Back - How does Jesus’ sacrificial example inspire you today?...read more
- Everything Matters - In God’s vision for the world, everything matters....read more
- Valid! - Our value comes from God in whose image we all have been created....read more
- Cupcake Face - Do you have a sin in your life you’ve been trying to hide from God?...read more
- Four Views - Have you ever wished that the Bible was written differently or in a way that was easier for you to understand?...read more
- Perfect Peace - Are you living out God’s “perfect peace”?...read more
- Cherished Possessions - Do you share the same love, empathy, and care for sinners?...read more
- Is This Heaven? - What do you think about heaven and earth?...read more
- Another View - How can the suffering of another person be used by God to help others grow in Him?...read more
- Good Company - How do you choose the company that you keep?...read more
- Real Faith - Read 1 Peter 1:6-9 and consider how real faith is tested and refined....read more
- Needs Met - What hungers do you think God most wants to satisfy in your life?...read more