Sweet MusicWhat things have you been trying to handle without prayer?
Top Music Videos
Bring it On
Three different times I begged the Lord to take it away (v.8).
Australian-born evangelist Nick Vujicic entered the world without arms or legs. Throughout his life, he’s had a deep desire for God to make him whole. Nick has even prayed that he would grow appendages. Once, he and some Christian friends fashioned arms and legs out of clay and prayed for the limbs to become flesh. Although it didn’t happen, Nick still prays, “Please give me arms and legs. But if You don’t . . . I trust You.” He says his commitment to Jesus is simply to “want His plan.”
Like Nick, Paul suffered with an affliction that God didn’t take way. He described it as a thorn in the flesh—a messenger of Satan (2 Corinthians 12:7). Some think Paul endured epilepsy, migraines, or even eye problems. The apostle said, “Three different times I begged the Lord to take it away” (v.8). He pleaded, and it wasn’t a one-time request.
Although God didn’t give Paul what he wanted, He did give him something else—grace. In response to Paul’s prayers, He said, “My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness” (v.9). God wasn’t simply refusing to help. He was saying “no” to Paul’s request so that He could use the apostle’s limitations to reveal His limitlessness. Paul’s frailty would showcase God’s might.
When God says “no” to our requests, we might assume He doesn’t care about us. The truth is the opposite. Even if we keep asking Him to fix the problem, we can also pray beyond that request. Getting started might sound something like this: God, help me to rely on Your grace in this situation. I know Your strength can shine through my weakness—so Lord, bring it on. Unleash Your power in my life. Please use my pain for Your glory.
—Jennifer Benson Schuldt
Why is it difficult to accept a “no” from God? How might you encourage someone who is prayerfully struggling with a persistent problem?
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more
- Awe - Where and when do you find yourself most in awe of God?...read more