Rejoicing in Deep NeedWhat happens when you choose to rejoice in God even when you’re in deep need?
Top Christian Music Videos
Bring it On
Three different times I begged the Lord to take it away (v.8).
Australian-born evangelist Nick Vujicic entered the world without arms or legs. Throughout his life, he’s had a deep desire for God to make him whole. Nick has even prayed that he would grow appendages. Once, he and some Christian friends fashioned arms and legs out of clay and prayed for the limbs to become flesh. Although it didn’t happen, Nick still prays, “Please give me arms and legs. But if You don’t . . . I trust You.” He says his commitment to Jesus is simply to “want His plan.”
Like Nick, Paul suffered with an affliction that God didn’t take way. He described it as a thorn in the flesh—a messenger of Satan (2 Corinthians 12:7). Some think Paul endured epilepsy, migraines, or even eye problems. The apostle said, “Three different times I begged the Lord to take it away” (v.8). He pleaded, and it wasn’t a one-time request.
Although God didn’t give Paul what he wanted, He did give him something else—grace. In response to Paul’s prayers, He said, “My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness” (v.9). God wasn’t simply refusing to help. He was saying “no” to Paul’s request so that He could use the apostle’s limitations to reveal His limitlessness. Paul’s frailty would showcase God’s might.
When God says “no” to our requests, we might assume He doesn’t care about us. The truth is the opposite. Even if we keep asking Him to fix the problem, we can also pray beyond that request. Getting started might sound something like this: God, help me to rely on Your grace in this situation. I know Your strength can shine through my weakness—so Lord, bring it on. Unleash Your power in my life. Please use my pain for Your glory.
—Jennifer Benson Schuldt
Why is it difficult to accept a “no” from God? How might you encourage someone who is prayerfully struggling with a persistent problem?
- Rejoicing in Deep Need - What happens when you choose to rejoice in God even when you’re in deep need?...read more
- Staying True - Our ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze....read more
- Write Your Epitaph - How are you growing in your faith and the proclaiming of it?...read more
- What Happens in the End - Are you feeling hopeless and weary? Be reminded of what happens in the end!...read more
- Stop Painting Your Bucket - Who you are is who you are in Jesus....read more
- What We Have - When do you feel most grateful?...read more
- God's Perspective - What has God called you to do that might appear to be too challenging?...read more
- More than Walking on Water - Do you ever find yourself focusing more on what God can do than on who He is?...read more
- The Spirit’s Wind - In what areas of your life have you been laboring in your own strength instead of God’s power?...read more
- Laying Down Your Life - What does it mean for you to embrace Jesus as the One who laid down His life for you?...read more
- Hidden Costs - What are some ways you can avoid falling prey to Satan’s hidden costs this week?...read more
- Limits - How often are you weary or stressed from church work?...read more
- Healing Prayer - Why is it important for us to bring our pain and suffering to God?...read more
- Pleasing God in the Mundane - Do you sometimes feel drained by serving God and others?...read more
- Avoiding Mean Streets - In what ways have you been entering deeper into God’s wisdom or moving farther away from it?...read more
- The Presence of Jesus - What past or current sinful choice has caused you to experience shame?...read more