Tongues AfireWhen have you recently endured the wound of another person’s words?
Top Music Videos
If you think you are standing strong, be careful not to fall (v.12).
Last month, as my wife was using our riding lawn mower, she accidentally hooked the bottom of the mower on one of the swings of our swing set. It dangerously lifted the front tires off the ground! So, as I was recently cutting the grass, her scare reminded me to slow down to first gear. I confidently maneuvered around the swing on my left—but I failed to see the one on the right. Suddenly, the mower reared up on its rear wheels and then tipped backwards. After hitting the ground and rolling clear of the blades, I realized that my mower now lay upside down on its crushed steering wheel.
My wife couldn’t believe what I’d done. After what had happened to her, she wondered how I could have been so careless. But that was the problem. It had happened to her, a rookie driver. I had mowed our lawn for 8 years without incident. In fact, I didn’t even know it was possible to flip a riding mower on level ground— and I didn’t think it could happen to me.
I had failed to fully learn from my wife’s example. In 1 Corinthians 6, Paul tells us that we should learn from the Israelites. Their stories of disobedience “were written down to warn us” not to “crave evil things as they did, or worship idols” or “engage in sexual immorality” or “put Christ to the test” or “grumble as some of them did” (1 Corinthians 10:6-11). We are worse the moment we suppose we’re better, for we become sloppy when we think we’ll never fall.
If “pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall” (Proverbs 16:18), then we must live humbly and alertly before God. What sin are you sure you would never commit? Look out! You’ve just let down your guard.
Read Mark 14:27-31,66- 72 to learn the danger of overconfidence.
What sin are you inching toward because you’re sure you’d never actually do it? What do you think God wants you to do about it?
- Tongues Afire - When have you recently endured the wound of another person’s words?...read more
- True Fellowship - What comes to your mind when you hear the word fellowship?...read more
- After 35 - What does it mean for you to rely on God in all things?...read more
- The Failure Wall - In what ways do you need to be prepared for encounters with spiritual enemies?...read more
- Worship 101 - What can you praise God for today?...read more
- Distance - What expectations do you have of fellow church members when it comes to meeting your needs?...read more
- Sarcasm and Sincerity - Do your words provide a safe environment for others?...read more
- Empty Spaces - What’s taking up space in your heart?...read more
- Showing the Way - How prepared are you to share your faith with others?...read more
- New Address? - Where’s the line between worrying and simply pondering a decision?...read more
- Real Stewardship - How are you using your gifts and talents to bring God to others?...read more
- Korah’s Redemption - How has God revealed His redeeming ways to you?...read more
- Stuff We Need - How can you give lavishly to God and others today?...read more
- Rising Above - What difficulties have caused you to experience distress recently?...read more
- God Our Restorer - Are you in need of God’s restorative power today?...read more
- You're Called - Are you dissatisfied with your present calling?...read more