Genuine LoveHow have you experienced the reality of God’s love?
Top Music Videos
Significance & Dignity
What are people, that You should make so much of us, that You should think of us so
often? (Job 7:17).
It was a night like any other night. It was David’s
responsibility to tend the family flock, to take the
sheep out to graze in the wilderness (Ps. 78:70-71).
Having secured the flock for the night and lying down to
rest, David gazed into the night sky. Inspired by the full
moon and the brilliant stars (8:3), he thought of the glory
of God and the dignity of humans.
David was mesmerized by the immensity of the
heavens, captivated by the majestic grandeur of God’s
celestial creation (v.3). He contemplated the glory of the
Creator God with the same introductory and concluding
words: “O Lord, our Lord, Your majestic name fills the
David was soon confounded and overwhelmed by the
significance and dignity God had given to him, a mere
man (vv.4-8). He asked, “What are mere mortals that
You should think about them, human beings that you
should care for them?” (v.4).
God’s special care for man is evidenced when we
compare the destinies of the three orders of God’s
creation—angels, earth, and humans. All evil angels,
including Satan, are condemned to hell (Matthew 25:41).
And the earth will be destroyed and replaced by a new
earth (2 Peter 3:7,13). Only people will be redeemed
and saved (Hebrews 2:16), for they’re very precious to
God (Psalm 8:3-5).
David reviewed the pre-fall majesty of man (Psalm 8:6-8; Genesis 1:26-31).
People were created “only a little lower than God” (Psalm 8:5). Wow! David
then looked forward to the future destiny of humanity, for redeemed humans will
be restored, crowned with “glory and honor” (v.5), and will be given “charge of
everything [God] made” (v.6). Look in the mirror and realize that God has given
you great significance and dignity.
How does the writer of Hebrews (in Hebrews 2:6) apply Psalm 8 to Jesus
and His coming in human flesh, his crucifixion, his resurrection and reign in
Go outside on a clear night. Read Psalm 8 and gaze into the sky. What
comfort does it bring you to know that God is thinking of you, even now?
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more
- The Narrow Door - How can salvation be a free gift simply received and yet still require our response?...read more
- Last Dance - How can you focus on thoughts that are lovely and admirable today?...read more
- Free to Forgive - How has God’s forgiveness changed your heart?...read more
- Friendly Wounds - What does it mean to “speak the truth in love”?...read more
- Hope Awakening - Do you tend to see the glass as half empty or half full?...read more
- Life and Loss - Where are you going with your pain?...read more