Clueless at the LightWhat would others say about my influence on them?
Top Music Videos
Significance & Dignity
What are people, that You should make so much of us, that You should think of us so
often? (Job 7:17).
It was a night like any other night. It was David’s
responsibility to tend the family flock, to take the
sheep out to graze in the wilderness (Ps. 78:70-71).
Having secured the flock for the night and lying down to
rest, David gazed into the night sky. Inspired by the full
moon and the brilliant stars (8:3), he thought of the glory
of God and the dignity of humans.
David was mesmerized by the immensity of the
heavens, captivated by the majestic grandeur of God’s
celestial creation (v.3). He contemplated the glory of the
Creator God with the same introductory and concluding
words: “O Lord, our Lord, Your majestic name fills the
David was soon confounded and overwhelmed by the
significance and dignity God had given to him, a mere
man (vv.4-8). He asked, “What are mere mortals that
You should think about them, human beings that you
should care for them?” (v.4).
God’s special care for man is evidenced when we
compare the destinies of the three orders of God’s
creation—angels, earth, and humans. All evil angels,
including Satan, are condemned to hell (Matthew 25:41).
And the earth will be destroyed and replaced by a new
earth (2 Peter 3:7,13). Only people will be redeemed
and saved (Hebrews 2:16), for they’re very precious to
God (Psalm 8:3-5).
David reviewed the pre-fall majesty of man (Psalm 8:6-8; Genesis 1:26-31).
People were created “only a little lower than God” (Psalm 8:5). Wow! David
then looked forward to the future destiny of humanity, for redeemed humans will
be restored, crowned with “glory and honor” (v.5), and will be given “charge of
everything [God] made” (v.6). Look in the mirror and realize that God has given
you great significance and dignity.
How does the writer of Hebrews (in Hebrews 2:6) apply Psalm 8 to Jesus
and His coming in human flesh, his crucifixion, his resurrection and reign in
Go outside on a clear night. Read Psalm 8 and gaze into the sky. What
comfort does it bring you to know that God is thinking of you, even now?
- Clueless at the Light - What would others say about my influence on them?...read more
- Stinging Words - How have you experienced emotional or spiritual captivity?...read more
- Everyone Has a Story - Who needs you to listen to them? Make time for them today....read more
- Gateway of Hope - How has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?...read more
- Philip Flunked - What specific truth about God could help you with a problem you’re currently facing?...read more
- Source of All Life - Every blessing comes from God....read more
- Trapped in Sin - How can you be set free and made right with God?...read more
- Hope Beyond Discouragement - How will you point others to the Source of Hope today?...read more
- Play Your Part - How can you encourage others to fulfill their calling?...read more
- Broken Community - How do we live out holiness without becoming judgmental of others?...read more
- Giving Out Love - How has God provided for you and those you love?...read more
- Assets that Matter - How can you submit more fully to the Holy Spirit’s refining work in your life?...read more
- The Skeptic - What doubt about God is most persistent in your thoughts?...read more
- Is God Necessary? - God is hidden but present, revealing Himself more fully to those who invite Him to stay....read more
- God's Promises - How has God kept His promises to you?...read more
- Greater Meaning - How is Jesus rescuing, transforming, and giving your life greater meaning?...read more