What's ImportantHow has God been training you lately?
Top Christian Music Videos
Significance & Dignity
What are people, that You should make so much of us, that You should think of us so
often? (Job 7:17).
It was a night like any other night. It was David’s
responsibility to tend the family flock, to take the
sheep out to graze in the wilderness (Ps. 78:70-71).
Having secured the flock for the night and lying down to
rest, David gazed into the night sky. Inspired by the full
moon and the brilliant stars (8:3), he thought of the glory
of God and the dignity of humans.
David was mesmerized by the immensity of the
heavens, captivated by the majestic grandeur of God’s
celestial creation (v.3). He contemplated the glory of the
Creator God with the same introductory and concluding
words: “O Lord, our Lord, Your majestic name fills the
David was soon confounded and overwhelmed by the
significance and dignity God had given to him, a mere
man (vv.4-8). He asked, “What are mere mortals that
You should think about them, human beings that you
should care for them?” (v.4).
God’s special care for man is evidenced when we
compare the destinies of the three orders of God’s
creation—angels, earth, and humans. All evil angels,
including Satan, are condemned to hell (Matthew 25:41).
And the earth will be destroyed and replaced by a new
earth (2 Peter 3:7,13). Only people will be redeemed
and saved (Hebrews 2:16), for they’re very precious to
God (Psalm 8:3-5).
David reviewed the pre-fall majesty of man (Psalm 8:6-8; Genesis 1:26-31).
People were created “only a little lower than God” (Psalm 8:5). Wow! David
then looked forward to the future destiny of humanity, for redeemed humans will
be restored, crowned with “glory and honor” (v.5), and will be given “charge of
everything [God] made” (v.6). Look in the mirror and realize that God has given
you great significance and dignity.
How does the writer of Hebrews (in Hebrews 2:6) apply Psalm 8 to Jesus
and His coming in human flesh, his crucifixion, his resurrection and reign in
Go outside on a clear night. Read Psalm 8 and gaze into the sky. What
comfort does it bring you to know that God is thinking of you, even now?
- What's Important - How has God been training you lately?...read more
- Choosing to Forget - What painful memory is holding you back from peace with God?...read more
- Not about Fame - How has Jesus changed your life?...read more
- Faithful and True - What experiences have shaped your understanding of what it means to be faithful?...read more
- Living Houses of Prayer - What does it mean for you to be a living house of prayer?...read more
- Test of Courage - Read Proverbs 21:30-31 to see how true success depends on God....read more
- Calling on the Air - In what ways have you called on God for direction ?...read more
- Only the Beginning - What hope has God brought you today?...read more
- Disciplined for Freedom - Praise God and display your gratitude to Him today!...read more
- What Will We Become? - What does it mean for you to be God’s masterpiece?...read more
- Taking the Hate - Which portions of the Bible trouble you the most?...read more
- Not a Distant God - Read Romans 8:31-39 to be reminded of the intimate love God has for us....read more
- A Greater Power - Read Jeremiah 31:20-25 and consider the power of God’s restoration...read more
- Anger Management - Read Matthew 5:21-22 to see what Jesus said about anger and sin....read more
- Moving Past Memories - How can experiencing God’s forgiveness for our sin help us to extend grace to others?...read more
- There is Hope - What has caused you to lose hope recently?...read more