Spiritual StrugglesWhen you struggle spiritually, how do you react?
Top Music Videos
Significance & Dignity
What are people, that You should make so much of us, that You should think of us so
often? (Job 7:17).
It was a night like any other night. It was David’s
responsibility to tend the family flock, to take the
sheep out to graze in the wilderness (Ps. 78:70-71).
Having secured the flock for the night and lying down to
rest, David gazed into the night sky. Inspired by the full
moon and the brilliant stars (8:3), he thought of the glory
of God and the dignity of humans.
David was mesmerized by the immensity of the
heavens, captivated by the majestic grandeur of God’s
celestial creation (v.3). He contemplated the glory of the
Creator God with the same introductory and concluding
words: “O Lord, our Lord, Your majestic name fills the
David was soon confounded and overwhelmed by the
significance and dignity God had given to him, a mere
man (vv.4-8). He asked, “What are mere mortals that
You should think about them, human beings that you
should care for them?” (v.4).
God’s special care for man is evidenced when we
compare the destinies of the three orders of God’s
creation—angels, earth, and humans. All evil angels,
including Satan, are condemned to hell (Matthew 25:41).
And the earth will be destroyed and replaced by a new
earth (2 Peter 3:7,13). Only people will be redeemed
and saved (Hebrews 2:16), for they’re very precious to
God (Psalm 8:3-5).
David reviewed the pre-fall majesty of man (Psalm 8:6-8; Genesis 1:26-31).
People were created “only a little lower than God” (Psalm 8:5). Wow! David
then looked forward to the future destiny of humanity, for redeemed humans will
be restored, crowned with “glory and honor” (v.5), and will be given “charge of
everything [God] made” (v.6). Look in the mirror and realize that God has given
you great significance and dignity.
How does the writer of Hebrews (in Hebrews 2:6) apply Psalm 8 to Jesus
and His coming in human flesh, his crucifixion, his resurrection and reign in
Go outside on a clear night. Read Psalm 8 and gaze into the sky. What
comfort does it bring you to know that God is thinking of you, even now?
- Spiritual Struggles - When you struggle spiritually, how do you react?...read more
- Happy Ascension Day - What’s one way you can celebrate the ascension of Jesus Christ today?...read more
- Mixed Bag - Are there any blind spots in your life?...read more
- All We Need - How might you trust God for the bounty He alone can provide?...read more
- Simple Things - What simple pleasures can you rediscover with God today?...read more
- Thirsty? - How has God provided our identity and significance in Jesus?...read more
- Freedom from Stress - How can loving and obeying God help you to find the peace He has promised His children?...read more
- Portrait of Jesus - What did Jesus endure for you?...read more
- Slow Learners - What are you struggling to understand in your faith journey with Jesus?...read more
- The Same God - Why would it be wrong for God to not deal with sin in such a serious way?...read more
- In Jesus’ Love - What Scripture verses have been most encouraging to you?...read more
- Don’t Hesitate - How can you become more confident in sharing your faith?...read more
- Broken Instruments - Has anyone ever paid the cost of fixing something you’ve broken or destroyed?...read more
- True Sacrifice - How can you better remind yourself of your great wealth in Christ?...read more
- Jesus and the Junk - What are you trying to hide from God and others?...read more
- Changing Our Tune - What angers you today and why?...read more