The Kingdom We Long ForWhat makes you most desperate for the fullness of God’s kingdom to arrive?
Top Music Videos
Significance & Dignity
What are people, that You should make so much of us, that You should think of us so
often? (Job 7:17).
It was a night like any other night. It was David’s
responsibility to tend the family flock, to take the
sheep out to graze in the wilderness (Ps. 78:70-71).
Having secured the flock for the night and lying down to
rest, David gazed into the night sky. Inspired by the full
moon and the brilliant stars (8:3), he thought of the glory
of God and the dignity of humans.
David was mesmerized by the immensity of the
heavens, captivated by the majestic grandeur of God’s
celestial creation (v.3). He contemplated the glory of the
Creator God with the same introductory and concluding
words: “O Lord, our Lord, Your majestic name fills the
David was soon confounded and overwhelmed by the
significance and dignity God had given to him, a mere
man (vv.4-8). He asked, “What are mere mortals that
You should think about them, human beings that you
should care for them?” (v.4).
God’s special care for man is evidenced when we
compare the destinies of the three orders of God’s
creation—angels, earth, and humans. All evil angels,
including Satan, are condemned to hell (Matthew 25:41).
And the earth will be destroyed and replaced by a new
earth (2 Peter 3:7,13). Only people will be redeemed
and saved (Hebrews 2:16), for they’re very precious to
God (Psalm 8:3-5).
David reviewed the pre-fall majesty of man (Psalm 8:6-8; Genesis 1:26-31).
People were created “only a little lower than God” (Psalm 8:5). Wow! David
then looked forward to the future destiny of humanity, for redeemed humans will
be restored, crowned with “glory and honor” (v.5), and will be given “charge of
everything [God] made” (v.6). Look in the mirror and realize that God has given
you great significance and dignity.
How does the writer of Hebrews (in Hebrews 2:6) apply Psalm 8 to Jesus
and His coming in human flesh, his crucifixion, his resurrection and reign in
Go outside on a clear night. Read Psalm 8 and gaze into the sky. What
comfort does it bring you to know that God is thinking of you, even now?
- The Kingdom We Long For - What makes you most desperate for the fullness of God’s kingdom to arrive?...read more
- Offering Refuge and Hope - How can you practically and prayerfully support refugees?...read more
- Songs Before Dawn - How will you use your voice to let the good news ring out today?...read more
- Uber Conversations - How do the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit model a loving relationship?...read more
- Prayer on an Airplane - How can you prepare to share the hope you have in Jesus?...read more
- Adding Interest? - Is there something you’re holding back from God?...read more
- Lord of the Cosmos - What does Jesus being “Lord of the cosmos” mean for your future?...read more
- Farming Hope - What trial are you facing today?...read more
- Because of Sunday - How can you learn to imitate Jesus and His mindset as you face conflict?...read more
- Our Real and Present God - When have you grappled with questions about God’s nearness and presence?...read more
- Gift of Tears - What triggers your emotions?...read more
- Faith in the Fields - Jesus urged His disciples to tell people about Him for “the Kingdom of Heaven is near.”...read more
- Pizza and God's Presence - When do you feel most vulnerable?...read more
- Peace and Contentment - What changes could you make to better “seek the Kingdom of God above all else”?...read more
- Beauty of Diversity - Do your relationships reflect the beautiful diversity of the early church?...read more
- Starting Small - Read Philippians 1:6 and consider how God will finish the good work He started in you....read more