LaughterHow do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?
Top Music Videos
Is It Worth It
Who am I working for? Why am I giving up so
much pleasure now? (v.8).
Lou Gehrig may not have died from Lou Gehrig’s
disease. The Hall of Fame pro baseball player is
the namesake for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis
(ALS), a debilitating neurological disease that slowly
paralyzes its victims and ultimately leads to death. New
research reveals that Gehrig may not have had ALS, but
exhibited similar symptoms due to blows to his head.
Gehrig was the legendary Iron-Man who played in
2,130 consecutive baseball games. He started one game
the day after he was hit by a pitch, with a bump on his
head so large that he wore George “Babe” Ruth’s larger
cap. We praise Gehrig for his resolve to play through
pain, but his commitment to baseball may have led to the
disease that killed him. Gehrig was really good at what
he did, but what he did may have ruined his life.
Is it worth it? (Ecclesiastes 4:8). This question nags
at the young lawyer eating takeout as she proofreads
documents deep into the night. Her job drains the joy
from her life but she owes too much to the bank to do
Is it worth it? This question haunts the dreams of the
traveling businessman. He’s making more money than
he can responsibly spend, but he’s gone more than he’s
If you have drive and talent, most likely you’re good
at what you do. But don’t let the good get in the way
of what’s best. You owe it to God, yourself, and those who love you to ask the
big question: ”Who am I working for?” (v.8).
Is your career, business, or obsession with blogging or writing a novel
keeping you from the people you love most? You may be really good at what
you do, but what you do may be ruining your life. Is it worth it? —Mike Wittmer
is it worth it?
Read Psalms 90:1 to discover how to become wise about life and making daily decisions.
List the most important people in your life. Do your choices typically help
or hurt your relationships? What can you do right now—and long-term—to
show them that they greatly matter to you? How can you show God that He matters most?
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more
- Awe - Where and when do you find yourself most in awe of God?...read more
- Purpose - How does the apostle Paul’s life demonstrate God’s “purpose” to you?...read more