"Brutiful"How has God worked in “brutiful” ways in your life?
Top Music Videos
Hurt to Help
Don’t just pretend to love others. Really love them. Hate what is wrong.
Hold tightly to what is good (v.9).
One of professor Haddon Robinson’s seminary
students once came to speak with him about
her husband’s assignments. She told him that
her husband was under a lot of pressure and had been
working hard, but he was running behind on getting his
work done. But rather than asking Haddon to cut her
husband some slack, she asked him not to. While she
wanted him to do well and complete his studies, she also
thought that people tended to go easy on her husband,
and it wasn’t helping him to learn how to get things done
This man’s wife wasn’t being vindictive. She was trying
to help her husband—even though her intervention might
have cost him a good grade.
Love seeks the best for others, even if it stretches them
and makes them feel uncomfortable. It’s part of what
Paul talked about when he wrote, “Don’t just pretend to
love others. Really love them. Hate what is wrong. Hold
tightly to what is good” (Romans 12:9).
No one loves perfectly, but love is the standard
Jesus calls us to seek (v.10; John 15:12). And even
Jesus showed us that there was more to real love than
simply making a person feel better. After His death and
resurrection, Jesus took Peter back to the night that he
denied Him three times (John 21:15-17). It was a deeply
painful time for Peter to recall, but Jesus took him there
so He could reaffirm Peter and his mission.
Even though it sometimes hurts, real love asks: “How can I be an instrument
that God can use to challenge and confront someone else?” Our goal is to help
them become more of what God intends for them to be. Will you be willing to
hurt in order to help? —Jeff Olson
Read 2 Corinthians 7:8 to see how Paul cared enough for the
Corinthians to bring them a painful message.
Where might God be calling you to “hurt” someone in order to help him or her? What’s
the difference between hurting someone unnecessarily and speaking the truth in love?
- "Brutiful" - How has God worked in “brutiful” ways in your life?...read more
- The First Day—Again - How does Jesus’ resurrection infuse you with fresh hope?...read more
- Clueless at the Light - What would others say about my influence on them?...read more
- Stinging Words - How have you experienced emotional or spiritual captivity?...read more
- Everyone Has a Story - Who needs you to listen to them? Make time for them today....read more
- Gateway of Hope - How has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?...read more
- Philip Flunked - What specific truth about God could help you with a problem you’re currently facing?...read more
- Source of All Life - Every blessing comes from God....read more
- Trapped in Sin - How can you be set free and made right with God?...read more
- Hope Beyond Discouragement - How will you point others to the Source of Hope today?...read more
- Play Your Part - How can you encourage others to fulfill their calling?...read more
- Broken Community - How do we live out holiness without becoming judgmental of others?...read more
- Giving Out Love - How has God provided for you and those you love?...read more
- Assets that Matter - How can you submit more fully to the Holy Spirit’s refining work in your life?...read more
- The Skeptic - What doubt about God is most persistent in your thoughts?...read more
- Is God Necessary? - God is hidden but present, revealing Himself more fully to those who invite Him to stay....read more