Not about FameHow has Jesus changed your life?
Top Christian Music Videos
Hurt to Help
Don’t just pretend to love others. Really love them. Hate what is wrong.
Hold tightly to what is good (v.9).
One of professor Haddon Robinson’s seminary
students once came to speak with him about
her husband’s assignments. She told him that
her husband was under a lot of pressure and had been
working hard, but he was running behind on getting his
work done. But rather than asking Haddon to cut her
husband some slack, she asked him not to. While she
wanted him to do well and complete his studies, she also
thought that people tended to go easy on her husband,
and it wasn’t helping him to learn how to get things done
This man’s wife wasn’t being vindictive. She was trying
to help her husband—even though her intervention might
have cost him a good grade.
Love seeks the best for others, even if it stretches them
and makes them feel uncomfortable. It’s part of what
Paul talked about when he wrote, “Don’t just pretend to
love others. Really love them. Hate what is wrong. Hold
tightly to what is good” (Romans 12:9).
No one loves perfectly, but love is the standard
Jesus calls us to seek (v.10; John 15:12). And even
Jesus showed us that there was more to real love than
simply making a person feel better. After His death and
resurrection, Jesus took Peter back to the night that he
denied Him three times (John 21:15-17). It was a deeply
painful time for Peter to recall, but Jesus took him there
so He could reaffirm Peter and his mission.
Even though it sometimes hurts, real love asks: “How can I be an instrument
that God can use to challenge and confront someone else?” Our goal is to help
them become more of what God intends for them to be. Will you be willing to
hurt in order to help? —Jeff Olson
Read 2 Corinthians 7:8 to see how Paul cared enough for the
Corinthians to bring them a painful message.
Where might God be calling you to “hurt” someone in order to help him or her? What’s
the difference between hurting someone unnecessarily and speaking the truth in love?
- Not about Fame - How has Jesus changed your life?...read more
- Faithful and True - What experiences have shaped your understanding of what it means to be faithful?...read more
- Living Houses of Prayer - What does it mean for you to be a living house of prayer?...read more
- Test of Courage - Read Proverbs 21:30-31 to see how true success depends on God....read more
- Calling on the Air - In what ways have you called on God for direction ?...read more
- Only the Beginning - What hope has God brought you today?...read more
- Disciplined for Freedom - Praise God and display your gratitude to Him today!...read more
- What Will We Become? - What does it mean for you to be God’s masterpiece?...read more
- Taking the Hate - Which portions of the Bible trouble you the most?...read more
- Not a Distant God - Read Romans 8:31-39 to be reminded of the intimate love God has for us....read more
- A Greater Power - Read Jeremiah 31:20-25 and consider the power of God’s restoration...read more
- Anger Management - Read Matthew 5:21-22 to see what Jesus said about anger and sin....read more
- Moving Past Memories - How can experiencing God’s forgiveness for our sin help us to extend grace to others?...read more
- There is Hope - What has caused you to lose hope recently?...read more
- Transformed! - How has God’s power helped you overcome fear?...read more
- Breaking Toward Freedom - Where are you experiencing a need for freedom?...read more