UnbreakableHow can you use your suffering to point others to God?
Top Christian Music Videos
Disappointment and Hope
They stopped short, sadness written across their faces (v.17).
A 5-year-old boy was told that his family was going to the Grand Canyon. He could hardly wait. When the day finally arrived, the boy was visibly disappointed. He said, “I thought you said that it was a big cannon.” When you’re hoping for the Grand Cannon, you’ll be let down, even by something as spectacular as the Grand Canyon!
Something similar happened with the two disciples on the road to Emmaus. They were disappointed with Jesus. For they had hoped that “He was the Messiah who had come to rescue Israel” (Luke 24:21). But He was crucified, and now His body was gone!
If you’ve ever prayed and hoped for something—a job, a baby, or a ministry opportunity—that you felt was God’s will, but then it didn’t come to be, you can identify with the disciples’ disappointment. But Jesus said to them, “You foolish people! You find it so hard to believe all that the prophets wrote in the Scriptures. Wasn’t it clearly predicted that the Messiah would have to suffer all these things before entering His glory?” (vv.25-26). The disciples knew that Jesus would redeem Israel, but they had overlooked the prophecies about the Messiah having to suffer. They foolishly focused on part of His Word, but not the whole. The same can be true of us.
Thankfully, God is patient. Jesus walked and talked with the two disillusioned disciples along that long dusty road. He asked them questions to draw out the source of their spiritual disappointment. Then He taught them.
We can trust that our unchanging God will deal similarly with us. One songwriter expresses it this way: “Carefully touching me, causing my eyes to see. Jesus makes beautiful things of my life.”
—Poh Fang Chia
Here are some challenging words from God’s Word: Luke 21:17; John 16:33; 2 Timothy 3:12. What similar passages can you think of?
What are the main sources of your spiritual disappointments? How can prayer, God’s Word, and talking with other believers help you to overcome them?
- Unbreakable - How can you use your suffering to point others to God?...read more
- Treasure that Lasts - What legacy do you want to leave behind when you die?...read more
- The Lost Virtue - In what common circumstances are you most impatient?...read more
- Right and Wrong Words - Is your tongue quick to criticize but slow to apologize?...read more
- Kindness and Hospitality - How are you using your God-given gifts to love and serve others?...read more
- Rejoicing in Deep Need - What happens when you choose to rejoice in God even when you’re in deep need?...read more
- Staying True - Our ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze....read more
- Write Your Epitaph - How are you growing in your faith and the proclaiming of it?...read more
- What Happens in the End - Are you feeling hopeless and weary? Be reminded of what happens in the end!...read more
- Stop Painting Your Bucket - Who you are is who you are in Jesus....read more
- What We Have - When do you feel most grateful?...read more
- God's Perspective - What has God called you to do that might appear to be too challenging?...read more
- More than Walking on Water - Do you ever find yourself focusing more on what God can do than on who He is?...read more
- The Spirit’s Wind - In what areas of your life have you been laboring in your own strength instead of God’s power?...read more
- Laying Down Your Life - What does it mean for you to embrace Jesus as the One who laid down His life for you?...read more
- Hidden Costs - What are some ways you can avoid falling prey to Satan’s hidden costs this week?...read more