Begging the Question?Do you ever feel pressure to share your faith in ways that seem awkward to you?
Top Music Videos
Disappointment and Hope
They stopped short, sadness written across their faces (v.17).
A 5-year-old boy was told that his family was going to the Grand Canyon. He could hardly wait. When the day finally arrived, the boy was visibly disappointed. He said, “I thought you said that it was a big cannon.” When you’re hoping for the Grand Cannon, you’ll be let down, even by something as spectacular as the Grand Canyon!
Something similar happened with the two disciples on the road to Emmaus. They were disappointed with Jesus. For they had hoped that “He was the Messiah who had come to rescue Israel” (Luke 24:21). But He was crucified, and now His body was gone!
If you’ve ever prayed and hoped for something—a job, a baby, or a ministry opportunity—that you felt was God’s will, but then it didn’t come to be, you can identify with the disciples’ disappointment. But Jesus said to them, “You foolish people! You find it so hard to believe all that the prophets wrote in the Scriptures. Wasn’t it clearly predicted that the Messiah would have to suffer all these things before entering His glory?” (vv.25-26). The disciples knew that Jesus would redeem Israel, but they had overlooked the prophecies about the Messiah having to suffer. They foolishly focused on part of His Word, but not the whole. The same can be true of us.
Thankfully, God is patient. Jesus walked and talked with the two disillusioned disciples along that long dusty road. He asked them questions to draw out the source of their spiritual disappointment. Then He taught them.
We can trust that our unchanging God will deal similarly with us. One songwriter expresses it this way: “Carefully touching me, causing my eyes to see. Jesus makes beautiful things of my life.”
—Poh Fang Chia
Here are some challenging words from God’s Word: Luke 21:17; John 16:33; 2 Timothy 3:12. What similar passages can you think of?
What are the main sources of your spiritual disappointments? How can prayer, God’s Word, and talking with other believers help you to overcome them?
- Begging the Question? - Do you ever feel pressure to share your faith in ways that seem awkward to you?...read more
- Fulfilled - Why is it important to view Old Testament laws through the lens of Jesus’ fulfillment of them?...read more
- Red Houses - What has God given you—time, finances, ability—that you can use to help someone in need today?...read more
- Tongues Afire - When have you recently endured the wound of another person’s words?...read more
- True Fellowship - What comes to your mind when you hear the word fellowship?...read more
- After 35 - What does it mean for you to rely on God in all things?...read more
- The Failure Wall - In what ways do you need to be prepared for encounters with spiritual enemies?...read more
- Worship 101 - What can you praise God for today?...read more
- Distance - What expectations do you have of fellow church members when it comes to meeting your needs?...read more
- Sarcasm and Sincerity - Do your words provide a safe environment for others?...read more
- Empty Spaces - What’s taking up space in your heart?...read more
- Showing the Way - How prepared are you to share your faith with others?...read more
- New Address? - Where’s the line between worrying and simply pondering a decision?...read more
- Real Stewardship - How are you using your gifts and talents to bring God to others?...read more
- Korah’s Redemption - How has God revealed His redeeming ways to you?...read more
- Stuff We Need - How can you give lavishly to God and others today?...read more