Top Music Videos
You have forgotten the Lord, your Creator, the One who stretched out
the sky like a canopy and laid the foundations of the earth (v.13).
In a recent debate, Christian mathematician John Lennox
argued for the reality of God with atheist scientist
Richard Dawkins. In his writing and speaking, Dawkins
will often talk about the “Flying Spaghetti Monster” as an
analogy for belief in God. His point is that since God’s
existence cannot be proven, it’s as ridiculous to believe in
Him as in a levitating pasta creature.
Isaiah lived during a time when God’s people were
facing a monstrous enemy. Due to their rebellion and
disobedience, God allowed them to be invaded by the
Babylonians—brutal enemies who cruelly carted them
off to captivity. God said, “You have forgotten the Lord,
your Creator, the One who stretched out the sky like a
canopy and laid the foundations of the earth” (51:13). He
declared that He alone was worthy of their worship and
devotion because He is over all things.
God is the One who “stirs up the sea, causing its
waves to roar” (v.15). Every aspect of the natural world
reflects His perfect design and providence. “The work
of [His] fingers” (Psalm 8:3) is plain to see. Isaiah could
boldly declare God’s reality because He knew Him
and recognized His reflection in all created things. He
also knew that God had given him the words to speak
and that he was safe in His hand (v.16).
John Lennox shows that same confidence. When Dawkins
argued that if one stumbles upon a garden in a forest,
he should simply appreciate it without having to believe in “invisible fairies hiding
behind the flowers,” Lennox stated, “Of course you wouldn’t have to believe in
fairies in the garden, but you would assume there was a Gardener, wouldn’t you?”
As Paul said, “Through everything God made, [we] can clearly see His
invisible qualities” (Romans 1:20). His reality shreds spaghetti monsters and
dispels invisible fairies.
Read Romans 1:21 to see why some people deny God’s reality.
What gives you confidence in God and His reality? How will you
more boldly present your faith this week?
- Fulfilled - Why is it important to view Old Testament laws through the lens of Jesus’ fulfillment of them?...read more
- Red Houses - What has God given you—time, finances, ability—that you can use to help someone in need today?...read more
- Tongues Afire - When have you recently endured the wound of another person’s words?...read more
- True Fellowship - What comes to your mind when you hear the word fellowship?...read more
- After 35 - What does it mean for you to rely on God in all things?...read more
- The Failure Wall - In what ways do you need to be prepared for encounters with spiritual enemies?...read more
- Worship 101 - What can you praise God for today?...read more
- Distance - What expectations do you have of fellow church members when it comes to meeting your needs?...read more
- Sarcasm and Sincerity - Do your words provide a safe environment for others?...read more
- Empty Spaces - What’s taking up space in your heart?...read more
- Showing the Way - How prepared are you to share your faith with others?...read more
- New Address? - Where’s the line between worrying and simply pondering a decision?...read more
- Real Stewardship - How are you using your gifts and talents to bring God to others?...read more
- Korah’s Redemption - How has God revealed His redeeming ways to you?...read more
- Stuff We Need - How can you give lavishly to God and others today?...read more
- Rising Above - What difficulties have caused you to experience distress recently?...read more