Sweet MusicWhat things have you been trying to handle without prayer?
Top Music Videos
You have forgotten the Lord, your Creator, the One who stretched out
the sky like a canopy and laid the foundations of the earth (v.13).
In a recent debate, Christian mathematician John Lennox
argued for the reality of God with atheist scientist
Richard Dawkins. In his writing and speaking, Dawkins
will often talk about the “Flying Spaghetti Monster” as an
analogy for belief in God. His point is that since God’s
existence cannot be proven, it’s as ridiculous to believe in
Him as in a levitating pasta creature.
Isaiah lived during a time when God’s people were
facing a monstrous enemy. Due to their rebellion and
disobedience, God allowed them to be invaded by the
Babylonians—brutal enemies who cruelly carted them
off to captivity. God said, “You have forgotten the Lord,
your Creator, the One who stretched out the sky like a
canopy and laid the foundations of the earth” (51:13). He
declared that He alone was worthy of their worship and
devotion because He is over all things.
God is the One who “stirs up the sea, causing its
waves to roar” (v.15). Every aspect of the natural world
reflects His perfect design and providence. “The work
of [His] fingers” (Psalm 8:3) is plain to see. Isaiah could
boldly declare God’s reality because He knew Him
and recognized His reflection in all created things. He
also knew that God had given him the words to speak
and that he was safe in His hand (v.16).
John Lennox shows that same confidence. When Dawkins
argued that if one stumbles upon a garden in a forest,
he should simply appreciate it without having to believe in “invisible fairies hiding
behind the flowers,” Lennox stated, “Of course you wouldn’t have to believe in
fairies in the garden, but you would assume there was a Gardener, wouldn’t you?”
As Paul said, “Through everything God made, [we] can clearly see His
invisible qualities” (Romans 1:20). His reality shreds spaghetti monsters and
dispels invisible fairies.
Read Romans 1:21 to see why some people deny God’s reality.
What gives you confidence in God and His reality? How will you
more boldly present your faith this week?
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more
- Awe - Where and when do you find yourself most in awe of God?...read more