Meaning MirageWhere do you typically find meaning in life?
Top Christian Music Videos
You have forgotten the Lord, your Creator, the One who stretched out
the sky like a canopy and laid the foundations of the earth (v.13).
In a recent debate, Christian mathematician John Lennox
argued for the reality of God with atheist scientist
Richard Dawkins. In his writing and speaking, Dawkins
will often talk about the “Flying Spaghetti Monster” as an
analogy for belief in God. His point is that since God’s
existence cannot be proven, it’s as ridiculous to believe in
Him as in a levitating pasta creature.
Isaiah lived during a time when God’s people were
facing a monstrous enemy. Due to their rebellion and
disobedience, God allowed them to be invaded by the
Babylonians—brutal enemies who cruelly carted them
off to captivity. God said, “You have forgotten the Lord,
your Creator, the One who stretched out the sky like a
canopy and laid the foundations of the earth” (51:13). He
declared that He alone was worthy of their worship and
devotion because He is over all things.
God is the One who “stirs up the sea, causing its
waves to roar” (v.15). Every aspect of the natural world
reflects His perfect design and providence. “The work
of [His] fingers” (Psalm 8:3) is plain to see. Isaiah could
boldly declare God’s reality because He knew Him
and recognized His reflection in all created things. He
also knew that God had given him the words to speak
and that he was safe in His hand (v.16).
John Lennox shows that same confidence. When Dawkins
argued that if one stumbles upon a garden in a forest,
he should simply appreciate it without having to believe in “invisible fairies hiding
behind the flowers,” Lennox stated, “Of course you wouldn’t have to believe in
fairies in the garden, but you would assume there was a Gardener, wouldn’t you?”
As Paul said, “Through everything God made, [we] can clearly see His
invisible qualities” (Romans 1:20). His reality shreds spaghetti monsters and
dispels invisible fairies.
Read Romans 1:21 to see why some people deny God’s reality.
What gives you confidence in God and His reality? How will you
more boldly present your faith this week?
- Meaning Mirage - Where do you typically find meaning in life?...read more
- Dirty Laundry - When you need to confront someone, how do you react?...read more
- Tender Hearts - How can we avoid being spiritually stubborn and unresponsive to God?...read more
- The Ultimate Source - God’s goodness and faithfulness can lead us to respond in varying ways....read more
- Love in Action - How can you show Christ’s love to someone in need with both your words and your actions?...read more
- Generous Hearts - Have you ever been the recipient of someone else’s generosity?...read more
- Persecuted but Growing - Have you ever seen God use something negative or discouraging to accomplish something amazing?...read more
- Autumn Moments - What season of life are you in right now?...read more
- Where Love Flourishes - How does the love of a man and woman united in Christ reflect the love God has for us?...read more
- You're Needed - How are you serving the body of Christ?...read more
- Not Coming Back - How does Jesus’ sacrificial example inspire you today?...read more
- Everything Matters - In God’s vision for the world, everything matters....read more
- Valid! - Our value comes from God in whose image we all have been created....read more
- Cupcake Face - Do you have a sin in your life you’ve been trying to hide from God?...read more
- Four Views - Have you ever wished that the Bible was written differently or in a way that was easier for you to understand?...read more
- Perfect Peace - Are you living out God’s “perfect peace”?...read more