John's QuestionWhat steps can you take to seek God’s perspective in a current challenging situation?
Top Music Videos
Having It All
How meaningless to think that wealth brings true happiness! (v.10).
New York City is known as “the city that never
sleeps,” and for a time Scott Harrison was partly
to blame. As one of the top nightclub promoters
on the planet, his nocturnal dealings brought him
notoriety, success, and wealth. In addition to his business
proceeds, companies paid him thousands of dollars
to endorse their stuff. But, during a luxury vacation in
Uruguay, something changed. He rediscovered his faith
and, suddenly, “having it all” wasn’t enough.
Scott traveled to Liberia where he witnessed the
problems caused by contaminated water. The result was
charity: water, an organization he founded that has
helped over 1 million Africans.
Many people come to realize that wealth, for its
own benefit, is meaningless. King Solomon knew this,
despite his astounding riches. With an annual income of
more than 25 tons of gold, he owned a fleet of trading
ships that circulated through the seas, bringing back
exotic treasures including ivory, apes, and peacocks
(2 Chronicles 9:13-21). During Solomon’s reign, “silver
[was] as plentiful in Jerusalem as stone” (v.27).
The king’s megabucks didn’t prevent him from
proclaiming a long rant on life in general—with specific
comments about wealth. He said, “How meaningless to
think that wealth brings true happiness!” (Ecclesiastes
5:10). What good is wealth, except to watch it slip
through your fingers? Apparently, even the wealthiest people in the world see
that amassing money doesn’t guarantee fulfillment.
We don’t have to own lots of money to seek satisfaction in it. We fall into
the trap of loving money by obsessing over it. Solomon said “those who love
money will never have enough” (v.10). Exchanging a love of money for a
love of people yields a far higher return. —Jennifer Benson Schuldt
Why is it so difficult to deal with the enticement of wealth? How can you
tell the difference between responsible stewardship and acquiring wealth for
its own sake?
- John's Question - What steps can you take to seek God’s perspective in a current challenging situation?...read more
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more
- The Narrow Door - How can salvation be a free gift simply received and yet still require our response?...read more
- Last Dance - How can you focus on thoughts that are lovely and admirable today?...read more
- Free to Forgive - How has God’s forgiveness changed your heart?...read more