Clueless at the LightWhat would others say about my influence on them?
Top Music Videos
Having It All
How meaningless to think that wealth brings true happiness! (v.10).
New York City is known as “the city that never
sleeps,” and for a time Scott Harrison was partly
to blame. As one of the top nightclub promoters
on the planet, his nocturnal dealings brought him
notoriety, success, and wealth. In addition to his business
proceeds, companies paid him thousands of dollars
to endorse their stuff. But, during a luxury vacation in
Uruguay, something changed. He rediscovered his faith
and, suddenly, “having it all” wasn’t enough.
Scott traveled to Liberia where he witnessed the
problems caused by contaminated water. The result was
charity: water, an organization he founded that has
helped over 1 million Africans.
Many people come to realize that wealth, for its
own benefit, is meaningless. King Solomon knew this,
despite his astounding riches. With an annual income of
more than 25 tons of gold, he owned a fleet of trading
ships that circulated through the seas, bringing back
exotic treasures including ivory, apes, and peacocks
(2 Chronicles 9:13-21). During Solomon’s reign, “silver
[was] as plentiful in Jerusalem as stone” (v.27).
The king’s megabucks didn’t prevent him from
proclaiming a long rant on life in general—with specific
comments about wealth. He said, “How meaningless to
think that wealth brings true happiness!” (Ecclesiastes
5:10). What good is wealth, except to watch it slip
through your fingers? Apparently, even the wealthiest people in the world see
that amassing money doesn’t guarantee fulfillment.
We don’t have to own lots of money to seek satisfaction in it. We fall into
the trap of loving money by obsessing over it. Solomon said “those who love
money will never have enough” (v.10). Exchanging a love of money for a
love of people yields a far higher return. —Jennifer Benson Schuldt
Why is it so difficult to deal with the enticement of wealth? How can you
tell the difference between responsible stewardship and acquiring wealth for
its own sake?
- Clueless at the Light - What would others say about my influence on them?...read more
- Stinging Words - How have you experienced emotional or spiritual captivity?...read more
- Everyone Has a Story - Who needs you to listen to them? Make time for them today....read more
- Gateway of Hope - How has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?...read more
- Philip Flunked - What specific truth about God could help you with a problem you’re currently facing?...read more
- Source of All Life - Every blessing comes from God....read more
- Trapped in Sin - How can you be set free and made right with God?...read more
- Hope Beyond Discouragement - How will you point others to the Source of Hope today?...read more
- Play Your Part - How can you encourage others to fulfill their calling?...read more
- Broken Community - How do we live out holiness without becoming judgmental of others?...read more
- Giving Out Love - How has God provided for you and those you love?...read more
- Assets that Matter - How can you submit more fully to the Holy Spirit’s refining work in your life?...read more
- The Skeptic - What doubt about God is most persistent in your thoughts?...read more
- Is God Necessary? - God is hidden but present, revealing Himself more fully to those who invite Him to stay....read more
- God's Promises - How has God kept His promises to you?...read more
- Greater Meaning - How is Jesus rescuing, transforming, and giving your life greater meaning?...read more