Testing for TruthIs the Bible the highest source of authority in your life?
Top Music Videos
The Small Stuff
Every man and woman who was eager to help in the work the Lord
had given them through Moses—brought their gifts and gave them
freely to the Lord (v.29).
How has your ministry been able to thrive in these
tough economic times?” someone asked the
leader of a nonprofit organization. “It’s because
of the small gifts,” he said without hesitation. “The big
gifts dry up when things get tough. But we have a lot
of people who make small donations, and they give
faithfully out of what they have.”
Big, splashy things impress the world. The wealthy
lend their names and mountains of cash to buildings and
endowments, and we are the beneficiaries. Generosity
by the rich is nice, regardless of their motivation. But
God isn’t impressed by wealth.
Shortly after the people’s dramatic escape from
Egypt, God gave Moses instructions for constructing the
tabernacle. Moses said, “Let those with generous hearts
present the following gifts to the Lord,” and he listed the
needs (Exodus 35:5). He also said, “Come, all of you
who are gifted craftsmen” (v.10). And the people came.
Everyone who had a willing heart could play a role. In
fact, they were so generous that Moses finally had to
say, “Men and women, don’t prepare any more gifts for
the sanctuary. We have enough!” (36:6).
When we look at all the problems and needs facing
us, despair may seem like a tempting option. But God
uses small things and anonymous people to dissolve
impossible predicaments. Our desperation is our cue
to lean fully on Him.
“Little is much when God is in it,” wrote songwriter Kittie Louise Suffield.
When we prayerfully and generously do what we can to address the needs
God places in our path, He will take care of the rest.
Don’t despise the small gifts. They can lead to great things by God’s gracious
According to the prophecy of Haggai, why were the people of Judah not thriving?
Do you tend to overlook the little things? What small thing can you do
today to build something in Jesus’ name?
- Testing for Truth - Is the Bible the highest source of authority in your life?...read more
- Subscribe to God’s Help - What temptations are you battling?...read more
- Taking on Too Much - What are you trying to take on that only God can do...read more
- Representing Jesus - In what practical ways can you effectively represent Christ?...read more
- Myth No More - Why must God judge His enemies and make things right?...read more
- Hidden Sins - How have you been trying to deal with your sin?...read more
- The Kingdom We Long For - What makes you most desperate for the fullness of God’s kingdom to arrive?...read more
- Offering Refuge and Hope - How can you practically and prayerfully support refugees?...read more
- Songs Before Dawn - How will you use your voice to let the good news ring out today?...read more
- Uber Conversations - How do the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit model a loving relationship?...read more
- Prayer on an Airplane - How can you prepare to share the hope you have in Jesus?...read more
- Adding Interest? - Is there something you’re holding back from God?...read more
- Lord of the Cosmos - What does Jesus being “Lord of the cosmos” mean for your future?...read more
- Farming Hope - What trial are you facing today?...read more
- Because of Sunday - How can you learn to imitate Jesus and His mindset as you face conflict?...read more
- Our Real and Present God - When have you grappled with questions about God’s nearness and presence?...read more