View from a DistanceWhy is it easy to lose sight of the future God has promised you?
Top Christian Music Videos
Follow Jesus...On Twitter
Jesus called out to them, “Come, follow Me, and
I will show you how to fish for people!” (v.17).
Jesus has His own Twitter account. Well, actually,
hundreds of them. Search for “Jesus Christ” on the
social networking site, and you’ll find a plethora of
twitterers all tweeting in His name—some well-meaning
and many blasphemous. The most popular “Jesus” on
Twitter has over 34,000 followers!
Hmmm. Would the real Jesus use Twitter? I wonder.
“Follow me,” Jesus said to those first disciples (Mark
1:17). Unlike the rabbis of His day, Jesus wasn’t looking
simply for students—people who would sit at His feet
and ponder the law. And although it was His core
message to others (vv.14-15), Jesus didn’t even call
Simon, Andrew, James, and John to “repent.” He called
them to follow. This was a greater call than mere belief.
“I will show you how to fish for people!” Jesus added
(v.17). He had a vision for them, a calling that would
change their identity—no longer “fishermen” but “fishersof-
men.” This was a call to change.
“And they left their nets at once and followed Him”
(v.18). Jesus’ call claimed priority even over the disciples’
livelihood. This call would reorder their economic lives.
While crowds flocked to Jesus to receive healing
(3:7-10), such people were not His disciples. Demons
fell prostrate at His feet, but they certainly weren’t
His followers (v.11). To follow Jesus meant giving up
everything to do the will of God (3:35; Luke 14:33).
Would the real Jesus use Twitter? I don’t know. I do know that following the
real Jesus means surrendering our dreams, jobs, identities, and finances to Him
and choosing His plans for us (Matthew 22:37-39).
That’s not something you can do by simply pushing a button.
“Follow Me and be
My disciple,” Jesus said
to him. So Levi got up and
What have you
Jesus” to mean in the
past? Have you ever
slipped into “push button”
Jesus, but not necessarily
surrendering your life
- View from a Distance - Why is it easy to lose sight of the future God has promised you?...read more
- Based on a True Story - What restoration has God brought to your life?...read more
- New Beginnings - How has God equipped you to follow Him?...read more
- What's Important - How has God been training you lately?...read more
- Choosing to Forget - What painful memory is holding you back from peace with God?...read more
- Not about Fame - How has Jesus changed your life?...read more
- Faithful and True - What experiences have shaped your understanding of what it means to be faithful?...read more
- Living Houses of Prayer - What does it mean for you to be a living house of prayer?...read more
- Test of Courage - Read Proverbs 21:30-31 to see how true success depends on God....read more
- Calling on the Air - In what ways have you called on God for direction ?...read more
- Only the Beginning - What hope has God brought you today?...read more
- Disciplined for Freedom - Praise God and display your gratitude to Him today!...read more
- What Will We Become? - What does it mean for you to be God’s masterpiece?...read more
- Taking the Hate - Which portions of the Bible trouble you the most?...read more
- Not a Distant God - Read Romans 8:31-39 to be reminded of the intimate love God has for us....read more
- A Greater Power - Read Jeremiah 31:20-25 and consider the power of God’s restoration...read more