Kindness and HospitalityHow are you using your God-given gifts to love and serve others?
Top Christian Music Videos
Follow Jesus...On Twitter
Jesus called out to them, “Come, follow Me, and
I will show you how to fish for people!” (v.17).
Jesus has His own Twitter account. Well, actually,
hundreds of them. Search for “Jesus Christ” on the
social networking site, and you’ll find a plethora of
twitterers all tweeting in His name—some well-meaning
and many blasphemous. The most popular “Jesus” on
Twitter has over 34,000 followers!
Hmmm. Would the real Jesus use Twitter? I wonder.
“Follow me,” Jesus said to those first disciples (Mark
1:17). Unlike the rabbis of His day, Jesus wasn’t looking
simply for students—people who would sit at His feet
and ponder the law. And although it was His core
message to others (vv.14-15), Jesus didn’t even call
Simon, Andrew, James, and John to “repent.” He called
them to follow. This was a greater call than mere belief.
“I will show you how to fish for people!” Jesus added
(v.17). He had a vision for them, a calling that would
change their identity—no longer “fishermen” but “fishersof-
men.” This was a call to change.
“And they left their nets at once and followed Him”
(v.18). Jesus’ call claimed priority even over the disciples’
livelihood. This call would reorder their economic lives.
While crowds flocked to Jesus to receive healing
(3:7-10), such people were not His disciples. Demons
fell prostrate at His feet, but they certainly weren’t
His followers (v.11). To follow Jesus meant giving up
everything to do the will of God (3:35; Luke 14:33).
Would the real Jesus use Twitter? I don’t know. I do know that following the
real Jesus means surrendering our dreams, jobs, identities, and finances to Him
and choosing His plans for us (Matthew 22:37-39).
That’s not something you can do by simply pushing a button.
“Follow Me and be
My disciple,” Jesus said
to him. So Levi got up and
What have you
Jesus” to mean in the
past? Have you ever
slipped into “push button”
Jesus, but not necessarily
surrendering your life
- Kindness and Hospitality - How are you using your God-given gifts to love and serve others?...read more
- Rejoicing in Deep Need - What happens when you choose to rejoice in God even when you’re in deep need?...read more
- Staying True - Our ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze....read more
- Write Your Epitaph - How are you growing in your faith and the proclaiming of it?...read more
- What Happens in the End - Are you feeling hopeless and weary? Be reminded of what happens in the end!...read more
- Stop Painting Your Bucket - Who you are is who you are in Jesus....read more
- What We Have - When do you feel most grateful?...read more
- God's Perspective - What has God called you to do that might appear to be too challenging?...read more
- More than Walking on Water - Do you ever find yourself focusing more on what God can do than on who He is?...read more
- The Spirit’s Wind - In what areas of your life have you been laboring in your own strength instead of God’s power?...read more
- Laying Down Your Life - What does it mean for you to embrace Jesus as the One who laid down His life for you?...read more
- Hidden Costs - What are some ways you can avoid falling prey to Satan’s hidden costs this week?...read more
- Limits - How often are you weary or stressed from church work?...read more
- Healing Prayer - Why is it important for us to bring our pain and suffering to God?...read more
- Pleasing God in the Mundane - Do you sometimes feel drained by serving God and others?...read more
- Avoiding Mean Streets - In what ways have you been entering deeper into God’s wisdom or moving farther away from it?...read more