Subscribe to God’s HelpWhat temptations are you battling?
Top Music Videos
Follow Jesus...On Twitter
Jesus called out to them, “Come, follow Me, and
I will show you how to fish for people!” (v.17).
Jesus has His own Twitter account. Well, actually,
hundreds of them. Search for “Jesus Christ” on the
social networking site, and you’ll find a plethora of
twitterers all tweeting in His name—some well-meaning
and many blasphemous. The most popular “Jesus” on
Twitter has over 34,000 followers!
Hmmm. Would the real Jesus use Twitter? I wonder.
“Follow me,” Jesus said to those first disciples (Mark
1:17). Unlike the rabbis of His day, Jesus wasn’t looking
simply for students—people who would sit at His feet
and ponder the law. And although it was His core
message to others (vv.14-15), Jesus didn’t even call
Simon, Andrew, James, and John to “repent.” He called
them to follow. This was a greater call than mere belief.
“I will show you how to fish for people!” Jesus added
(v.17). He had a vision for them, a calling that would
change their identity—no longer “fishermen” but “fishersof-
men.” This was a call to change.
“And they left their nets at once and followed Him”
(v.18). Jesus’ call claimed priority even over the disciples’
livelihood. This call would reorder their economic lives.
While crowds flocked to Jesus to receive healing
(3:7-10), such people were not His disciples. Demons
fell prostrate at His feet, but they certainly weren’t
His followers (v.11). To follow Jesus meant giving up
everything to do the will of God (3:35; Luke 14:33).
Would the real Jesus use Twitter? I don’t know. I do know that following the
real Jesus means surrendering our dreams, jobs, identities, and finances to Him
and choosing His plans for us (Matthew 22:37-39).
That’s not something you can do by simply pushing a button.
“Follow Me and be
My disciple,” Jesus said
to him. So Levi got up and
What have you
Jesus” to mean in the
past? Have you ever
slipped into “push button”
Jesus, but not necessarily
surrendering your life
- Subscribe to God’s Help - What temptations are you battling?...read more
- Taking on Too Much - What are you trying to take on that only God can do...read more
- Representing Jesus - In what practical ways can you effectively represent Christ?...read more
- Myth No More - Why must God judge His enemies and make things right?...read more
- Hidden Sins - How have you been trying to deal with your sin?...read more
- The Kingdom We Long For - What makes you most desperate for the fullness of God’s kingdom to arrive?...read more
- Offering Refuge and Hope - How can you practically and prayerfully support refugees?...read more
- Songs Before Dawn - How will you use your voice to let the good news ring out today?...read more
- Uber Conversations - How do the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit model a loving relationship?...read more
- Prayer on an Airplane - How can you prepare to share the hope you have in Jesus?...read more
- Adding Interest? - Is there something you’re holding back from God?...read more
- Lord of the Cosmos - What does Jesus being “Lord of the cosmos” mean for your future?...read more
- Farming Hope - What trial are you facing today?...read more
- Because of Sunday - How can you learn to imitate Jesus and His mindset as you face conflict?...read more
- Our Real and Present God - When have you grappled with questions about God’s nearness and presence?...read more
- Gift of Tears - What triggers your emotions?...read more