After 35What does it mean for you to rely on God in all things?
Top Music Videos
Dinner and a Sinner
When the Pharisee who had invited Him saw this, he said to himself, “If this Man were a prophet, He would know what kind of woman is touching Him. She’s a sinner!” (v.39).
Several years ago, while vacationing in Washington, DC, my family noticed a large crowd forming in front of a popular downtown theater. The word on the street was that Colin Powell, the United States Secretary of State at the time, was coming to the theater that evening to watch a play. We quickly learned that watching high-ranking public officials come and go was a favorite pastime of tourists.
In Jesus’ day, the locals often lingered around the banquet halls and homes of public figures. Once, as Jesus attended a meal hosted by a Pharisee named Simon, a local woman approached Him, washed His feet with her tears, dried them with her hair, and anointed them with a costly perfume (Luke 7:36).
Her actions were a stunning gesture of humility and love. Simon (the Pharisee), however, didn’t get it. In his thoughts, he ripped on Jesus for appearing to be unaware of the woman’s immoral reputation (v.39). Little did he know that Jesus knew everything about her and that, before dinner was over, Jesus would graciously invite Simon to see that hewas no different.
Simon considered the woman kneeling at Jesus’ feet to be an especially depraved sinner. But Jesus went on to make it clear to Simon that he was just like this woman, for he too needed to be forgiven. He was just as spiritually bankrupt as she, except that she“got it” and humbly turned to Jesus— offering Him a deep gesture of love (vv.41-47).
Blinded by his selfishness, Simon not only missed seeing his own need for forgiveness, but he didn’t understand who Jesus was. The One he had invited to dinner was and is the God who offers forgiveness and peace to all, no matter what they’ve done (vv.48-50).
Jesus made it clear that this woman found forgiveness through faith in Him (Luke 7:50). Her tears and gift were the fruit of her faith.
How well do you understand who Jesus is? In what ways do you identify with the woman who washed His feet? With Simon?
- After 35 - What does it mean for you to rely on God in all things?...read more
- The Failure Wall - In what ways do you need to be prepared for encounters with spiritual enemies?...read more
- Worship 101 - What can you praise God for today?...read more
- Distance - What expectations do you have of fellow church members when it comes to meeting your needs?...read more
- Sarcasm and Sincerity - Do your words provide a safe environment for others?...read more
- Empty Spaces - What’s taking up space in your heart?...read more
- Showing the Way - How prepared are you to share your faith with others?...read more
- New Address? - Where’s the line between worrying and simply pondering a decision?...read more
- Real Stewardship - How are you using your gifts and talents to bring God to others?...read more
- Korah’s Redemption - How has God revealed His redeeming ways to you?...read more
- Stuff We Need - How can you give lavishly to God and others today?...read more
- Rising Above - What difficulties have caused you to experience distress recently?...read more
- God Our Restorer - Are you in need of God’s restorative power today?...read more
- You're Called - Are you dissatisfied with your present calling?...read more
- The Art of Joy - What has hindered you from experiencing joy this week?...read more
- What a Friend! - What does it mean to you to have a friend in Jesus?...read more