Genuine LoveHow have you experienced the reality of God’s love?
Top Music Videos
Dinner and a Sinner
When the Pharisee who had invited Him saw this, he said to himself, “If this Man were a prophet, He would know what kind of woman is touching Him. She’s a sinner!” (v.39).
Several years ago, while vacationing in Washington, DC, my family noticed a large crowd forming in front of a popular downtown theater. The word on the street was that Colin Powell, the United States Secretary of State at the time, was coming to the theater that evening to watch a play. We quickly learned that watching high-ranking public officials come and go was a favorite pastime of tourists.
In Jesus’ day, the locals often lingered around the banquet halls and homes of public figures. Once, as Jesus attended a meal hosted by a Pharisee named Simon, a local woman approached Him, washed His feet with her tears, dried them with her hair, and anointed them with a costly perfume (Luke 7:36).
Her actions were a stunning gesture of humility and love. Simon (the Pharisee), however, didn’t get it. In his thoughts, he ripped on Jesus for appearing to be unaware of the woman’s immoral reputation (v.39). Little did he know that Jesus knew everything about her and that, before dinner was over, Jesus would graciously invite Simon to see that hewas no different.
Simon considered the woman kneeling at Jesus’ feet to be an especially depraved sinner. But Jesus went on to make it clear to Simon that he was just like this woman, for he too needed to be forgiven. He was just as spiritually bankrupt as she, except that she“got it” and humbly turned to Jesus— offering Him a deep gesture of love (vv.41-47).
Blinded by his selfishness, Simon not only missed seeing his own need for forgiveness, but he didn’t understand who Jesus was. The One he had invited to dinner was and is the God who offers forgiveness and peace to all, no matter what they’ve done (vv.48-50).
Jesus made it clear that this woman found forgiveness through faith in Him (Luke 7:50). Her tears and gift were the fruit of her faith.
How well do you understand who Jesus is? In what ways do you identify with the woman who washed His feet? With Simon?
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more
- The Narrow Door - How can salvation be a free gift simply received and yet still require our response?...read more
- Last Dance - How can you focus on thoughts that are lovely and admirable today?...read more
- Free to Forgive - How has God’s forgiveness changed your heart?...read more
- Friendly Wounds - What does it mean to “speak the truth in love”?...read more
- Hope Awakening - Do you tend to see the glass as half empty or half full?...read more
- Life and Loss - Where are you going with your pain?...read more