The Job ParadoxWhen have you missed an opportunity to follow God’s guidance during a difficult time?
Top Music Videos
They all depend on You to give them food as they need it. When You
supply it, they gather it. You open Your hand to feed them, and they
are richly satisfied (vv.27-28).
My family spent the past week nervously watching
the progress of a storm that was predicted
to hit our area about the time we planned to
leave on vacation. The storm arrived 2 days before we
were scheduled to leave, grounding flights and pushing
travelers onto already overbooked planes on future
days. On the morning of our scheduled departure, the
airline called and offered us five round-trip tickets to
anywhere if we would allow them to bump us to the next
day. We quickly took them up on their offer, consoling
our disappointed children with the promise, “Now we
can fly to the Bahamas next year!”
As I reflected on our good fortune, it struck me that
the very storm we feared had turned out to be God’s
blessing in our lives. Some might chalk up our “jackpot”
to fate (as even Solomon observed in his skeptical
mood)—that life “is all decided by chance, by being
in the right place at the right time” (Ecclesiastes 9:11).
And I understand that it’s easier for me to write this than
if our family had waited out the storm on the tarmac,
with nothing to show for our delay. The same storm that
blessed my life was bad news for others.
True enough. But no matter what, we are the recipients of
God’s gracious care. Paul declared that “everything comes
from Him” who “makes everything work out according to
His plan” (Romans 11:36; Ephesians 1:11). We may never
know why this or that misfortune happened to us, but we can trust that whatever
comes our way passes first through the hands of our loving Father. He never stops
providing for His children, and He uses even the storms of life for our good.
Whether your experiences today are good or bad, you can rest in the God
who planned your life “before a single day had passed” (Psalm 139:16).
Read Matthew 6:25 to learn what to do when your life isn’t going well.
- The Job Paradox - When have you missed an opportunity to follow God’s guidance during a difficult time?...read more
- Begging the Question? - Do you ever feel pressure to share your faith in ways that seem awkward to you?...read more
- Fulfilled - Why is it important to view Old Testament laws through the lens of Jesus’ fulfillment of them?...read more
- Red Houses - What has God given you—time, finances, ability—that you can use to help someone in need today?...read more
- Tongues Afire - When have you recently endured the wound of another person’s words?...read more
- True Fellowship - What comes to your mind when you hear the word fellowship?...read more
- After 35 - What does it mean for you to rely on God in all things?...read more
- The Failure Wall - In what ways do you need to be prepared for encounters with spiritual enemies?...read more
- Worship 101 - What can you praise God for today?...read more
- Distance - What expectations do you have of fellow church members when it comes to meeting your needs?...read more
- Sarcasm and Sincerity - Do your words provide a safe environment for others?...read more
- Empty Spaces - What’s taking up space in your heart?...read more
- Showing the Way - How prepared are you to share your faith with others?...read more
- New Address? - Where’s the line between worrying and simply pondering a decision?...read more
- Real Stewardship - How are you using your gifts and talents to bring God to others?...read more
- Korah’s Redemption - How has God revealed His redeeming ways to you?...read more