Cleansing and CallingWhat does it mean to follow God’s calling in your life?
Top Christian Music Videos
Keep a close watch on how you live and on your teaching. Stay true to what is right for the sake of your own salvation and the salvation of those who hear you (v.16).
On a recent family trip to the mountains, we were driving late at night through thickly wooded areas. A small bright gleam to the left captured our attention, and my husband quickly slowed the car as two deer leaped across our path. We took that teachable moment to explain to our kids the power of peripheral vision—giving them insight to use one day when they’re behind the wheel.
Our spiritual journey can often resemble a drive through mountainous regions in the dark of night. Unable to see the future, we encounter unexpected challenges, sharp curves, and steep grades in the road of life. With that in mind, Paul was preparing his spiritual son Timothy for everyday decisions, as well as for ministry. He wanted him to know the importance of keeping his vision in the right places (1 Timothy 4:13) and to be watchful of peripheral dangers (2 Timothy 2:16).
While the enemy’s attacks often come in the aggressive posturing of a lion (1 Peter 1:8), he also specializes in catching us unaware (Matthew 7:15; 2 Corinthians 2:14). We can’t live in fear—to do so is to pull over on the road of life and refuse to move forward. But we can find the fulfillment that God’s Word promises when we travel in the direction of His leading, remaining aware of the spiritual realm in which we live (Ephesians 6:10).
Certainly, our lives can be drastically altered if we refuse to deal with an egregious area of sin. Just as dangerous, though, are the little areas of compromise (Song of Solomon 2:15). Scripture admonishes us: “So be careful how you live. Don’t live like fools, but like those who are wise. . . . Don’t act thoughtlessly, but understand what the Lord wants you to do” (Ephesians 5:15).
Live prepared (1 Peter 1:13).
Read Deuteronomy 4:1 to see the relationship between remembrance and obedience and how they can keep us from falling prey to the enemy’s lies.
In what area has the enemy blindsided you in the past? How can you keep your spiritual vision focused and clear?
- Cleansing and Calling - What does it mean to follow God’s calling in your life?...read more
- Finding Refuge - What does it mean for God to be your true refuge?...read more
- Why Pray? - What do you need to ask God for today?...read more
- Love and Adoption - What does it mean to you to be adopted by your heavenly Father?...read more
- Worship and Service - Why is it so vital for you to worship God with all you are?...read more
- Holy Desperation - Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus?...read more
- Insisting on Joy - What would it look like for you to insist on joy this week?...read more
- Hot Water - Where in your spiritual life have you become complacent?...read more
- Remade - Do any areas of your life need to be remade?...read more
- God’s Renewing Presence - What can you do to experience God’s renewing presence today?...read more
- Enduring Hope - Have you lost hope and become disillusioned with life?...read more
- Grasping Grace - What does God’s grace mean to you?...read more
- Clear View - How can you seek God’s wisdom and direction today?...read more
- Led by the Spirit - How do you distinguish between the leading of the Spirit and the whims and desires of your own heart?...read more
- No Longer Lost - Where have you seen God’s love and mercy in your life?...read more
- Grace that Motivates - How can we avoid the temptation to try and earn God’s approval by doing good deeds?...read more