Starting OverHave you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?
Top Music Videos
Counting the Cost
You cannot become My disciple without giving up everything you own (Luke 14:33).
Jesus’ good friend Lazarus had died (John 11:14). And so He performed an amazing miracle by raising Lazarus from the dead (vv.43-44)—leading many who came to the funeral to believe in Him (v.45). But the Pharisees and priests responded differently. From that time on, they began to plot Jesus’ death (v.53).
News of the spectacular miracle spread throughout the thousands of Jewish pilgrims who had begun arriving in Jerusalem for the Passover feast. They greatly desired to meet with the Miracle Worker (vv.55-56), but the religious leaders had issued an order to arrest Him.
Jesus, the wanted man (v.57), moved on over to Bethany—2 miles from Jerusalem—where He stayed in the home of Lazarus (John 12:1). A relative of Lazarus named Simon (Mark 14:3) also lived at the same address. Simon had at one time been afflicted with leprosy (v.3)—a disease that resulted in its victims living in isolation outside the city gates to prevent the spread of the infection (Leviticus 13:45). Jesus had healed Simon of his leprosy, and in gratitude Simon hosted a dinner to honor Him (John 12:2).
Lazarus had been raised from the dead and Simon had been healed of leprosy. Given new lives, they wanted to truly honor Jesus. But, due to the conspiracy to kill Him, it was a dangerous time to do so. They were risking being arrested or even killed (v.10). But the danger didn’t negatively affect or deter them. They counted the cost and were prepared to pay the price for honoring the One who had healed them.
It will also cost us to follow Jesus (Luke 14:28). May we be prepared to pay whatever is required to show our love and honor for Him.
Jesus cautioned the large crowd following Him to count the cost, if they wanted to be His disciples. What will it cost you to follow Him? (Luke 14:25).
How have you been placed in a situation where following or honoring Jesus came with a price? How does Jesus’ example make it easier for you to follow Him?
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more
- The Narrow Door - How can salvation be a free gift simply received and yet still require our response?...read more
- Last Dance - How can you focus on thoughts that are lovely and admirable today?...read more
- Free to Forgive - How has God’s forgiveness changed your heart?...read more
- Friendly Wounds - What does it mean to “speak the truth in love”?...read more
- Hope Awakening - Do you tend to see the glass as half empty or half full?...read more