Always LovedEven before he made the world, God loved us and chose us.
Top Christian Music Videos
Counting the Cost
You cannot become My disciple without giving up everything you own (Luke 14:33).
Jesus’ good friend Lazarus had died (John 11:14). And so He performed an amazing miracle by raising Lazarus from the dead (vv.43-44)—leading many who came to the funeral to believe in Him (v.45). But the Pharisees and priests responded differently. From that time on, they began to plot Jesus’ death (v.53).
News of the spectacular miracle spread throughout the thousands of Jewish pilgrims who had begun arriving in Jerusalem for the Passover feast. They greatly desired to meet with the Miracle Worker (vv.55-56), but the religious leaders had issued an order to arrest Him.
Jesus, the wanted man (v.57), moved on over to Bethany—2 miles from Jerusalem—where He stayed in the home of Lazarus (John 12:1). A relative of Lazarus named Simon (Mark 14:3) also lived at the same address. Simon had at one time been afflicted with leprosy (v.3)—a disease that resulted in its victims living in isolation outside the city gates to prevent the spread of the infection (Leviticus 13:45). Jesus had healed Simon of his leprosy, and in gratitude Simon hosted a dinner to honor Him (John 12:2).
Lazarus had been raised from the dead and Simon had been healed of leprosy. Given new lives, they wanted to truly honor Jesus. But, due to the conspiracy to kill Him, it was a dangerous time to do so. They were risking being arrested or even killed (v.10). But the danger didn’t negatively affect or deter them. They counted the cost and were prepared to pay the price for honoring the One who had healed them.
It will also cost us to follow Jesus (Luke 14:28). May we be prepared to pay whatever is required to show our love and honor for Him.
Jesus cautioned the large crowd following Him to count the cost, if they wanted to be His disciples. What will it cost you to follow Him? (Luke 14:25).
How have you been placed in a situation where following or honoring Jesus came with a price? How does Jesus’ example make it easier for you to follow Him?
- Always Loved - Even before he made the world, God loved us and chose us....read more
- Run with It! - Jesus is the author of life....read more
- Sacrificial Love - What does it mean for you to carry your cross?...read more
- Autograph of the Ordinary - Do you accept the truth that God is in your ordinary work?...read more
- The Gift of Love - How should you respond to such a great love?...read more
- Warm Welcome - How does warm hospitality reflect God’s loving heart?...read more
- In the Gap - What has God equipped you with to intercede for others?...read more
- Confession and Blessing - How does repentance reveal our faith and trust in Jesus?...read more
- Breaking the Mold - How are you sharing Jesus with the next generation?...read more
- Diseased Hearts - What are the implications of only God truly knowing the heart and being able to cure it?...read more
- To Make Them Better - To follow Jesus means we allow God to transform the whole of our life....read more
- Looking for Work? - Consider how God has uniquely equipped you....read more
- Out of the Blue - God intervened before we were aware of our need....read more
- Joy and Sadness - Is there sadness in your life you need to embrace?...read more
- Passion Unleashed - What gifts and talents has God given you?...read more
- Thankful for What? - How do your difficult times more clearly illustrate God’s power and redemption?...read more