Right and Wrong WordsIs your tongue quick to criticize but slow to apologize?
Top Christian Music Videos
Counting the Cost
You cannot become My disciple without giving up everything you own (Luke 14:33).
Jesus’ good friend Lazarus had died (John 11:14). And so He performed an amazing miracle by raising Lazarus from the dead (vv.43-44)—leading many who came to the funeral to believe in Him (v.45). But the Pharisees and priests responded differently. From that time on, they began to plot Jesus’ death (v.53).
News of the spectacular miracle spread throughout the thousands of Jewish pilgrims who had begun arriving in Jerusalem for the Passover feast. They greatly desired to meet with the Miracle Worker (vv.55-56), but the religious leaders had issued an order to arrest Him.
Jesus, the wanted man (v.57), moved on over to Bethany—2 miles from Jerusalem—where He stayed in the home of Lazarus (John 12:1). A relative of Lazarus named Simon (Mark 14:3) also lived at the same address. Simon had at one time been afflicted with leprosy (v.3)—a disease that resulted in its victims living in isolation outside the city gates to prevent the spread of the infection (Leviticus 13:45). Jesus had healed Simon of his leprosy, and in gratitude Simon hosted a dinner to honor Him (John 12:2).
Lazarus had been raised from the dead and Simon had been healed of leprosy. Given new lives, they wanted to truly honor Jesus. But, due to the conspiracy to kill Him, it was a dangerous time to do so. They were risking being arrested or even killed (v.10). But the danger didn’t negatively affect or deter them. They counted the cost and were prepared to pay the price for honoring the One who had healed them.
It will also cost us to follow Jesus (Luke 14:28). May we be prepared to pay whatever is required to show our love and honor for Him.
Jesus cautioned the large crowd following Him to count the cost, if they wanted to be His disciples. What will it cost you to follow Him? (Luke 14:25).
How have you been placed in a situation where following or honoring Jesus came with a price? How does Jesus’ example make it easier for you to follow Him?
- Right and Wrong Words - Is your tongue quick to criticize but slow to apologize?...read more
- Kindness and Hospitality - How are you using your God-given gifts to love and serve others?...read more
- Rejoicing in Deep Need - What happens when you choose to rejoice in God even when you’re in deep need?...read more
- Staying True - Our ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze....read more
- Write Your Epitaph - How are you growing in your faith and the proclaiming of it?...read more
- What Happens in the End - Are you feeling hopeless and weary? Be reminded of what happens in the end!...read more
- Stop Painting Your Bucket - Who you are is who you are in Jesus....read more
- What We Have - When do you feel most grateful?...read more
- God's Perspective - What has God called you to do that might appear to be too challenging?...read more
- More than Walking on Water - Do you ever find yourself focusing more on what God can do than on who He is?...read more
- The Spirit’s Wind - In what areas of your life have you been laboring in your own strength instead of God’s power?...read more
- Laying Down Your Life - What does it mean for you to embrace Jesus as the One who laid down His life for you?...read more
- Hidden Costs - What are some ways you can avoid falling prey to Satan’s hidden costs this week?...read more
- Limits - How often are you weary or stressed from church work?...read more
- Healing Prayer - Why is it important for us to bring our pain and suffering to God?...read more
- Pleasing God in the Mundane - Do you sometimes feel drained by serving God and others?...read more