The Gentle WayWhat does it look like for you to live out Jesus’ gentleness before others?
Top Christian Music Videos
“Try giving gifts like that to your governor, and see how pleased he is!”
says the Lord of Heaven’s Armies (v.8).
Here are some things people might say to excuse
themselves from worshiping and serving God:
“I feel unappreciated.”
“I don’t want to do it.”
Would we use such excuses with our employers? Hmm
. . . I doubt it. So why is it that we dare to use them with
God? That was exactly God’s question to His people in
The Israelites were dishonoring God’s name by
bringing defiled sacrifices to Him. They were supposed
to bring their best, but they were choosing to present
their worst—animals that were diseased and not whole
(vv.7-8). By giving Him worthless offerings and ignoring
His laws concerning acceptable animal sacrifices
(Leviticus 22:17-25; Deuteronomy 15:21), they showed
how little they thought of Him.
So God said, “Try giving gifts like that to your governor,
and see how pleased he is!” (Malachi 1:8). Here the Lord
gives us a valuable test to determine how well we’re going
about our service to Him: Are we trying to present to God
the things we wouldn’t dare present to a human leader?
One Bible teacher pointedly questions: “How can we
possibly have less respect for the King of kings than we
do for the political powers who are appointed by Him?”
God is not only the Lord of Heaven’s Armies, He’s also
our Father and Master. We’re to love and honor Him. As we read the Lord’s
message to Israel of old, we should ask ourselves: Are we giving God our
leftover time and energy—our second-best? Or our best?
“A son honors his father, and a servant respects his master. If I am your
Father and Master, where are the honor and respect I deserve?” (v.6).
Is God saying this to you today?
—Poh Fang Chia
In what way could you be showing contempt to God today? What does
it mean for you to offer Him your best?
- The Gentle Way - What does it look like for you to live out Jesus’ gentleness before others?...read more
- Fireworks and Mercy - How does it make you feel to know that God understands your human frailty and has mercy on you?...read more
- Happy at You - Do you know deep down that God loves you dearly?...read more
- The Shepherd's Voice - Have you ever had an experience where you believe God spoke to you?...read more
- Fearless - How can you learn to trust God more deeply and follow Him more courageously?...read more
- Next Steps - Have you ever made a choice or taken an unwise risk that caused you pain?...read more
- Cleansing and Calling - What does it mean to follow God’s calling in your life?...read more
- Finding Refuge - What does it mean for God to be your true refuge?...read more
- Why Pray? - What do you need to ask God for today?...read more
- Love and Adoption - What does it mean to you to be adopted by your heavenly Father?...read more
- Worship and Service - Why is it so vital for you to worship God with all you are?...read more
- Holy Desperation - Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus?...read more
- Insisting on Joy - What would it look like for you to insist on joy this week?...read more
- Hot Water - Where in your spiritual life have you become complacent?...read more
- Remade - Do any areas of your life need to be remade?...read more
- God’s Renewing Presence - What can you do to experience God’s renewing presence today?...read more