What We ValueHow often do you read the Bible?
Top Music Videos
“Try giving gifts like that to your governor, and see how pleased he is!”
says the Lord of Heaven’s Armies (v.8).
Here are some things people might say to excuse
themselves from worshiping and serving God:
“I feel unappreciated.”
“I don’t want to do it.”
Would we use such excuses with our employers? Hmm
. . . I doubt it. So why is it that we dare to use them with
God? That was exactly God’s question to His people in
The Israelites were dishonoring God’s name by
bringing defiled sacrifices to Him. They were supposed
to bring their best, but they were choosing to present
their worst—animals that were diseased and not whole
(vv.7-8). By giving Him worthless offerings and ignoring
His laws concerning acceptable animal sacrifices
(Leviticus 22:17-25; Deuteronomy 15:21), they showed
how little they thought of Him.
So God said, “Try giving gifts like that to your governor,
and see how pleased he is!” (Malachi 1:8). Here the Lord
gives us a valuable test to determine how well we’re going
about our service to Him: Are we trying to present to God
the things we wouldn’t dare present to a human leader?
One Bible teacher pointedly questions: “How can we
possibly have less respect for the King of kings than we
do for the political powers who are appointed by Him?”
God is not only the Lord of Heaven’s Armies, He’s also
our Father and Master. We’re to love and honor Him. As we read the Lord’s
message to Israel of old, we should ask ourselves: Are we giving God our
leftover time and energy—our second-best? Or our best?
“A son honors his father, and a servant respects his master. If I am your
Father and Master, where are the honor and respect I deserve?” (v.6).
Is God saying this to you today?
—Poh Fang Chia
In what way could you be showing contempt to God today? What does
it mean for you to offer Him your best?
- What We Value - How often do you read the Bible?...read more
- The Job Paradox - When have you missed an opportunity to follow God’s guidance during a difficult time?...read more
- Begging the Question? - Do you ever feel pressure to share your faith in ways that seem awkward to you?...read more
- Fulfilled - Why is it important to view Old Testament laws through the lens of Jesus’ fulfillment of them?...read more
- Red Houses - What has God given you—time, finances, ability—that you can use to help someone in need today?...read more
- Tongues Afire - When have you recently endured the wound of another person’s words?...read more
- True Fellowship - What comes to your mind when you hear the word fellowship?...read more
- After 35 - What does it mean for you to rely on God in all things?...read more
- The Failure Wall - In what ways do you need to be prepared for encounters with spiritual enemies?...read more
- Worship 101 - What can you praise God for today?...read more
- Distance - What expectations do you have of fellow church members when it comes to meeting your needs?...read more
- Sarcasm and Sincerity - Do your words provide a safe environment for others?...read more
- Empty Spaces - What’s taking up space in your heart?...read more
- Showing the Way - How prepared are you to share your faith with others?...read more
- New Address? - Where’s the line between worrying and simply pondering a decision?...read more
- Real Stewardship - How are you using your gifts and talents to bring God to others?...read more