Sound SensitiveJust as with Samuel, may we know the presence of God throughout the day.
Top Music Videos
“Try giving gifts like that to your governor, and see how pleased he is!”
says the Lord of Heaven’s Armies (v.8).
Here are some things people might say to excuse
themselves from worshiping and serving God:
“I feel unappreciated.”
“I don’t want to do it.”
Would we use such excuses with our employers? Hmm
. . . I doubt it. So why is it that we dare to use them with
God? That was exactly God’s question to His people in
The Israelites were dishonoring God’s name by
bringing defiled sacrifices to Him. They were supposed
to bring their best, but they were choosing to present
their worst—animals that were diseased and not whole
(vv.7-8). By giving Him worthless offerings and ignoring
His laws concerning acceptable animal sacrifices
(Leviticus 22:17-25; Deuteronomy 15:21), they showed
how little they thought of Him.
So God said, “Try giving gifts like that to your governor,
and see how pleased he is!” (Malachi 1:8). Here the Lord
gives us a valuable test to determine how well we’re going
about our service to Him: Are we trying to present to God
the things we wouldn’t dare present to a human leader?
One Bible teacher pointedly questions: “How can we
possibly have less respect for the King of kings than we
do for the political powers who are appointed by Him?”
God is not only the Lord of Heaven’s Armies, He’s also
our Father and Master. We’re to love and honor Him. As we read the Lord’s
message to Israel of old, we should ask ourselves: Are we giving God our
leftover time and energy—our second-best? Or our best?
“A son honors his father, and a servant respects his master. If I am your
Father and Master, where are the honor and respect I deserve?” (v.6).
Is God saying this to you today?
—Poh Fang Chia
In what way could you be showing contempt to God today? What does
it mean for you to offer Him your best?
- Sound Sensitive - Just as with Samuel, may we know the presence of God throughout the day....read more
- Rich in Good Works - How can you encourage other believers in Jesus to “be rich in good works”?...read more
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more