WashedIn what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?
Top Music Videos
A few weeks ago, my wife Miska and I were deep into an intense conversation, tasting the bitter fruit of a disconnected season. Sitting on the couch, we shared our hurts and hopes, our desire for more in our marriage. As we talked about what had led us to this place and where to go from here, Miska said, "I need to forgive you." It's hard to convey the impact of her godly decision as I try to capture that moment in words. But something was released in her, and in me, as I realized that I too needed to forgive.
Forgiveness holds an unparalleled power to heal and to restore, to melt hardened hearts. Forgiveness, however, seldom comes easy. Peter apparently felt the weight of forgiveness' demands, asking Jesus to clarify how far, exactly, forgiveness should go. Do I have to forgive "seven times"? Peter asked (v.21). "No," said Jesus, "seventy times seven" (v.22).
Peter wanted to discern the outer boundaries of his responsibility, the point where he could say: No more forgiveness. But Jesus would have none of it. While we may want to rest easy with our bitterness or rage, God calls us out of all that. God calls us to forgive.
Sometimes we balk at forgiveness because we misunderstand what it is. We wrongly think that forgiveness means denying the wrong and painful thing done to us. Often, however, we resist forgiveness because we simply don't want to let someone off the hook.
This might seem like an impossible act: Offer lavish forgiveness to the repentant offender. Instead, it's beautiful news that reveals what God is like and what "the kingdom of heaven can be compared to" (v.23). God lavishes His unquenchable forgiveness on us, reaching the darkest places of our heart. , Winn Collier, Our Daily Journey CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more