Connecting the DotsWhat good work is God doing in your life?
Top Music Videos
He went to pray a third time, saying the same things again (v.44).
There’s a new cell phone app that claims it can help you de-stress. To use it, you have to clip a heart-rate monitor to your ear. The app then provides biofeedback that can help you find your “ideal breathing rate.” Once you’re inhaling and exhaling at the proper intervals, your stress level should decline.
No matter what you think about apps designed to help you relax, most of us need a healthy way to decompress from life’s pressure. Jesus faced a much greater strain than any of us will ever endure—death by crucifixion.
Just before that event, He took the disciples to an olive grove and said, “Sit here while I go over there to pray” (Matthew 26:36). When He was “anguished and distressed” (v.37), He turned immediately to a spiritual remedy for a spiritual problem. Jesus asked His Father, “If it is possible, let this cup of suffering be taken away from Me” (v.39). He prayed for an alternative to agony, but He also prayed for God’s will to prevail. He prayed knowing what the answer would be.
Jesus prayed once, twice, and then “He went to pray a third time, saying the same things again” (v.44). When His soul was “crushed with grief to the point of death” (v.38), Jesus persisted in calling out to God, just as He instructed people to do earlier in His ministry (Luke 11:9).
Although Jesus still had to endure the cross, prayer helped Him to surrender and go forward with God’s plan. He roused the disciples, saying, “Up, let’s be going!” (Matthew 26:46). To Judas, He said, “My friend, go ahead and do what you have come for” (v.50). When Peter tried to defend Him, Jesus said, “Put away your sword” (v.52).
The next time you’re anxious or in distress, remember Jesus’ example of prayer in His time of struggle.
—Jennifer Benson Schuldt
What’s the difference between prayer and prayerfulness? Why is it important to pray for God’s will to be done when we’re anxious?
- Connecting the Dots - What good work is God doing in your life?...read more
- Responding to Suffering - How do you feel when your life is interrupted by suffering and adversity?...read more
- Laying Our Lives Down - How has Jesus’ example inspired you to freely give of yourself?...read more
- "Brutiful" - How has God worked in “brutiful” ways in your life?...read more
- The First Day—Again - How does Jesus’ resurrection infuse you with fresh hope?...read more
- Clueless at the Light - What would others say about my influence on them?...read more
- Stinging Words - How have you experienced emotional or spiritual captivity?...read more
- Everyone Has a Story - Who needs you to listen to them? Make time for them today....read more
- Gateway of Hope - How has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?...read more
- Philip Flunked - What specific truth about God could help you with a problem you’re currently facing?...read more
- Source of All Life - Every blessing comes from God....read more
- Trapped in Sin - How can you be set free and made right with God?...read more
- Hope Beyond Discouragement - How will you point others to the Source of Hope today?...read more
- Play Your Part - How can you encourage others to fulfill their calling?...read more
- Broken Community - How do we live out holiness without becoming judgmental of others?...read more
- Giving Out Love - How has God provided for you and those you love?...read more