VictoryWhat battles are you facing these days?
Top Music Videos
He went to pray a third time, saying the same things again (v.44).
There’s a new cell phone app that claims it can help you de-stress. To use it, you have to clip a heart-rate monitor to your ear. The app then provides biofeedback that can help you find your “ideal breathing rate.” Once you’re inhaling and exhaling at the proper intervals, your stress level should decline.
No matter what you think about apps designed to help you relax, most of us need a healthy way to decompress from life’s pressure. Jesus faced a much greater strain than any of us will ever endure—death by crucifixion.
Just before that event, He took the disciples to an olive grove and said, “Sit here while I go over there to pray” (Matthew 26:36). When He was “anguished and distressed” (v.37), He turned immediately to a spiritual remedy for a spiritual problem. Jesus asked His Father, “If it is possible, let this cup of suffering be taken away from Me” (v.39). He prayed for an alternative to agony, but He also prayed for God’s will to prevail. He prayed knowing what the answer would be.
Jesus prayed once, twice, and then “He went to pray a third time, saying the same things again” (v.44). When His soul was “crushed with grief to the point of death” (v.38), Jesus persisted in calling out to God, just as He instructed people to do earlier in His ministry (Luke 11:9).
Although Jesus still had to endure the cross, prayer helped Him to surrender and go forward with God’s plan. He roused the disciples, saying, “Up, let’s be going!” (Matthew 26:46). To Judas, He said, “My friend, go ahead and do what you have come for” (v.50). When Peter tried to defend Him, Jesus said, “Put away your sword” (v.52).
The next time you’re anxious or in distress, remember Jesus’ example of prayer in His time of struggle.
—Jennifer Benson Schuldt
What’s the difference between prayer and prayerfulness? Why is it important to pray for God’s will to be done when we’re anxious?
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more
- The Narrow Door - How can salvation be a free gift simply received and yet still require our response?...read more
- Last Dance - How can you focus on thoughts that are lovely and admirable today?...read more
- Free to Forgive - How has God’s forgiveness changed your heart?...read more
- Friendly Wounds - What does it mean to “speak the truth in love”?...read more