Love in ActionHow can you show Christ’s love to someone in need with both your words and your actions?
Top Christian Music Videos
Close to the Cradle
The angels were on the verge of a brawl. As characters in our church’s nativity scene, a multitude of small girls outfitted in white gowns and halos had assembled around the cradle. Unfortunately, some eager cherubs decided that they wanted a better look at the baby. Pushing and elbowing ensued. Finally, one little girl turned to the audience and cried, “Mommy!” just before the nativity director ushered everyone off the stage.
I found something endearing about the little angels’ collective desire to be close to the infant Christ. For them, Jesus was the main attraction—the best and most significant part of the Christmas celebration.
Shortly after Jesus entered our world, a man named Simeon recognized Jesus’ significance—even as a newborn infant. God’s Spirit led Simeon to the temple where he met Mary, Joseph, and the baby Jesus. Simeon had been “eagerly waiting for the Messiah to come” (Luke 2:25), and as he held God’s Son in his arms—imagine that incredible privilege—he exalted God, saying, “I have seen Your salvation, which you have prepared for all people. He is a light to reveal God to the nations” (vv.30-32).
Mary and Joseph had to pick their jaws up off the floor. Then Simeon blessed them and talked more about their infant. He said, “This child . . . will be a joy to many” and “He has been sent as a sign from God, but many will oppose Him” (v.34). Simeon was describing how those who believe in Jesus will be saved, but those who will not believe will fall into condemnation.
Remembering Jesus as a baby helps us to see Him as the best gift humanity has ever known—a gift of innocence, love, and salvation (John 3:16). This year at Christmas, reflect on the news that brought “great joy to all people” (Luke 2:10). Stay close to the cradle.
—Jennifer Benson Schuldt
Why do we sometimes have “no vacancy” signs plastered across our hearts during the Christmas season? How might you keep Jesus at the center of your celebration this year?
- Love in Action - How can you show Christ’s love to someone in need with both your words and your actions?...read more
- Generous Hearts - Have you ever been the recipient of someone else’s generosity?...read more
- Persecuted but Growing - Have you ever seen God use something negative or discouraging to accomplish something amazing?...read more
- Autumn Moments - What season of life are you in right now?...read more
- Where Love Flourishes - How does the love of a man and woman united in Christ reflect the love God has for us?...read more
- You're Needed - How are you serving the body of Christ?...read more
- Not Coming Back - How does Jesus’ sacrificial example inspire you today?...read more
- Everything Matters - In God’s vision for the world, everything matters....read more
- Valid! - Our value comes from God in whose image we all have been created....read more
- Cupcake Face - Do you have a sin in your life you’ve been trying to hide from God?...read more
- Four Views - Have you ever wished that the Bible was written differently or in a way that was easier for you to understand?...read more
- Perfect Peace - Are you living out God’s “perfect peace”?...read more
- Cherished Possessions - Do you share the same love, empathy, and care for sinners?...read more
- Is This Heaven? - What do you think about heaven and earth?...read more
- Another View - How can the suffering of another person be used by God to help others grow in Him?...read more
- Good Company - How do you choose the company that you keep?...read more