Laying Our Lives DownHow has Jesus’ example inspired you to freely give of yourself?
Top Music Videos
Close to the Cradle
The angels were on the verge of a brawl. As characters in our church’s nativity scene, a multitude of small girls outfitted in white gowns and halos had assembled around the cradle. Unfortunately, some eager cherubs decided that they wanted a better look at the baby. Pushing and elbowing ensued. Finally, one little girl turned to the audience and cried, “Mommy!” just before the nativity director ushered everyone off the stage.
I found something endearing about the little angels’ collective desire to be close to the infant Christ. For them, Jesus was the main attraction—the best and most significant part of the Christmas celebration.
Shortly after Jesus entered our world, a man named Simeon recognized Jesus’ significance—even as a newborn infant. God’s Spirit led Simeon to the temple where he met Mary, Joseph, and the baby Jesus. Simeon had been “eagerly waiting for the Messiah to come” (Luke 2:25), and as he held God’s Son in his arms—imagine that incredible privilege—he exalted God, saying, “I have seen Your salvation, which you have prepared for all people. He is a light to reveal God to the nations” (vv.30-32).
Mary and Joseph had to pick their jaws up off the floor. Then Simeon blessed them and talked more about their infant. He said, “This child . . . will be a joy to many” and “He has been sent as a sign from God, but many will oppose Him” (v.34). Simeon was describing how those who believe in Jesus will be saved, but those who will not believe will fall into condemnation.
Remembering Jesus as a baby helps us to see Him as the best gift humanity has ever known—a gift of innocence, love, and salvation (John 3:16). This year at Christmas, reflect on the news that brought “great joy to all people” (Luke 2:10). Stay close to the cradle.
—Jennifer Benson Schuldt
Why do we sometimes have “no vacancy” signs plastered across our hearts during the Christmas season? How might you keep Jesus at the center of your celebration this year?
- Laying Our Lives Down - How has Jesus’ example inspired you to freely give of yourself?...read more
- "Brutiful" - How has God worked in “brutiful” ways in your life?...read more
- The First Day—Again - How does Jesus’ resurrection infuse you with fresh hope?...read more
- Clueless at the Light - What would others say about my influence on them?...read more
- Stinging Words - How have you experienced emotional or spiritual captivity?...read more
- Everyone Has a Story - Who needs you to listen to them? Make time for them today....read more
- Gateway of Hope - How has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?...read more
- Philip Flunked - What specific truth about God could help you with a problem you’re currently facing?...read more
- Source of All Life - Every blessing comes from God....read more
- Trapped in Sin - How can you be set free and made right with God?...read more
- Hope Beyond Discouragement - How will you point others to the Source of Hope today?...read more
- Play Your Part - How can you encourage others to fulfill their calling?...read more
- Broken Community - How do we live out holiness without becoming judgmental of others?...read more
- Giving Out Love - How has God provided for you and those you love?...read more
- Assets that Matter - How can you submit more fully to the Holy Spirit’s refining work in your life?...read more
- The Skeptic - What doubt about God is most persistent in your thoughts?...read more