John's QuestionWhat steps can you take to seek God’s perspective in a current challenging situation?
Top Music Videos
Close to the Cradle
The angels were on the verge of a brawl. As characters in our church’s nativity scene, a multitude of small girls outfitted in white gowns and halos had assembled around the cradle. Unfortunately, some eager cherubs decided that they wanted a better look at the baby. Pushing and elbowing ensued. Finally, one little girl turned to the audience and cried, “Mommy!” just before the nativity director ushered everyone off the stage.
I found something endearing about the little angels’ collective desire to be close to the infant Christ. For them, Jesus was the main attraction—the best and most significant part of the Christmas celebration.
Shortly after Jesus entered our world, a man named Simeon recognized Jesus’ significance—even as a newborn infant. God’s Spirit led Simeon to the temple where he met Mary, Joseph, and the baby Jesus. Simeon had been “eagerly waiting for the Messiah to come” (Luke 2:25), and as he held God’s Son in his arms—imagine that incredible privilege—he exalted God, saying, “I have seen Your salvation, which you have prepared for all people. He is a light to reveal God to the nations” (vv.30-32).
Mary and Joseph had to pick their jaws up off the floor. Then Simeon blessed them and talked more about their infant. He said, “This child . . . will be a joy to many” and “He has been sent as a sign from God, but many will oppose Him” (v.34). Simeon was describing how those who believe in Jesus will be saved, but those who will not believe will fall into condemnation.
Remembering Jesus as a baby helps us to see Him as the best gift humanity has ever known—a gift of innocence, love, and salvation (John 3:16). This year at Christmas, reflect on the news that brought “great joy to all people” (Luke 2:10). Stay close to the cradle.
—Jennifer Benson Schuldt
Why do we sometimes have “no vacancy” signs plastered across our hearts during the Christmas season? How might you keep Jesus at the center of your celebration this year?
- John's Question - What steps can you take to seek God’s perspective in a current challenging situation?...read more
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more
- The Narrow Door - How can salvation be a free gift simply received and yet still require our response?...read more
- Last Dance - How can you focus on thoughts that are lovely and admirable today?...read more
- Free to Forgive - How has God’s forgiveness changed your heart?...read more