Out of LoveHow did God show love for us through His sacrifice?
Top Christian Music Videos
Tough Times Ahead
Don’t be afraid, for I am with you. Don’t be discouraged, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you. I will hold you up with My victorious right hand (v.10).
You’ve sent out countless resumes. Yet employment still seems elusive. You’ve led a healthy lifestyle. Yet the cancer marker is abnormally high. You’ve tried to be a good parent. Yet your child is choosing not to follow God. The list goes on.
The only certainty in life is uncertainty. Even after you’ve done all you can possibly do, the future is still beyond your control.
In our fight against fear and anxiety in this uncertain world, it’s easy to turn to idols and to make gods for ourselves. That’s what Isaiah described in 41:5-7. The nations refused to acknowledge that Yahweh is the God of history (vv.2-4). So, in a bid to feel more secure, they rushed to make new idols and tried to strengthen them (which is rather ironic).
What might that look like today? Well, we could strengthen our idol by burying ourselves in the Internet, in amassing possessions, in developing our intellect, or in building up our bodies.
But God calls His people to respond differently to fear. We’re reminded that He chose, called, and will never reject us. Our God says: “Don’t be afraid, for I am with you. Don’t be discouraged, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you. I will hold you up with My victorious right hand” (v.10).
In our fear, let’s focus on two truths: “I am with you” and “I am your God.” I Am is the God who does not change. His truths and purpose do not change (Numbers 23:19; Ephesians 1:11). This unchanging God is with us. Don’t be afraid. Don’t be discouraged. He will strengthen and help you. He will hold you steady.
—Poh Fang Chia
How do you normally handle fears? How can you keep your focus on the two truths: “I am with you” and “I am your God”?
- Out of Love - How did God show love for us through His sacrifice?...read more
- God's Masterpiece - What does it mean for God’s people to be a masterpiece?...read more
- Prayerful Retreat - How often do you have a “prayerful retreat” with God?...read more
- Laying Down Our Lives - What sometimes holds you back from laying down your life for others?...read more
- A Little Farther - Do you hear much about lament in your local church?...read more
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more
- Big and Small - What do you do with your worries?...read more
- A Way Out - Do you have a tendency to overestimate or underestimate?...read more