VictoryWhat battles are you facing these days?
Top Music Videos
It took more than a year for a leading Christian human
rights organization in Washington, DC, to confirm
that one of their own—their then vice-president of
constituent relations (fund-raising)—was leading a
double life. Though the man led prayer at daily staff
devotions, proudly quoted Scripture, and appeared
to live a squeaky-clean life, behind the scenes he was
running an organized crime ring.
So sly was the con artist that he even managed to submit
three sets of fake fingerprints for background checks
before investigators discovered that he had a lengthy
criminal record including grand larceny. This man was
hardly the first to hide guilty behavior behind the cloak of
Christianity. Throughout history, many men and women
have purposefully misled others to attain their own selfish
gains. Proverbs 6:12 describes such people as “constant
liars” whose “perverted hearts plot evil.”
Personally, I’m jolted and often thrown off my “game”
each time I learn that someone with a visible Christian
platform has been living a starkly different life on the
side. The apostle Paul, however, states that dubious
behavior by some should not come as a big shock.
“These people are false apostles,” exclaimed Paul. “They
are deceitful workers who disguise themselves as apostles
of Christ. But I am not surprised! Even Satan disguises
himself as an angel of light” (2 Corinthians 11:13).
Regardless of the inappropriate behavior of some, Paul insisted that he would
continue doing what he had always done. “This will undercut those who are
looking for an opportunity to boast that their work is just like ours” (v.12).
Join me in aiming to be like Paul who, despite what was happening around
him, was committed to living out sincere faith in Jesus (1 Thessalonians 2:2).
What would happen if you lived out 1 Peter 1:1 and purged your life
of “all evil behavior” and stopped “all deceit, hypocrisy, jealousy, and
all unkind speech”?
How should you respond when a Christian brother or sister is caught in
deceitful living? What will prevent you from living a double life?
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more
- The Narrow Door - How can salvation be a free gift simply received and yet still require our response?...read more
- Last Dance - How can you focus on thoughts that are lovely and admirable today?...read more
- Free to Forgive - How has God’s forgiveness changed your heart?...read more
- Friendly Wounds - What does it mean to “speak the truth in love”?...read more