Out of LoveHow did God show love for us through His sacrifice?
Top Christian Music Videos
Waiting in Worship
[Anna] began praising God. She talked about the child to everyone who had been waiting expectantly for God to rescue Jerusalem (v.38).
I’ve never been exceptionally good at waiting. While I’ve learned that waiting can only be productive if I have set the desires of my heart on the things of God, lately He’s been working on my attitude in the waiting.
Anna, the prophet, certainly knew how to wait. We don’t know the circumstances of her widowhood, but we do know a bit about her extraordinary vigil: “She never left the temple but stayed there day and night, worshiping God with fasting and prayer” (Luke 2:37).
Because of Anna’s willingness to wait for the Lord out of love—not simply seeking what He would give her—she experienced a powerful, persevering faith. Scripture tells us that Anna, after having seen the Messiah, “talked about the child to everyone who had been waiting expectantly for God to rescue Jerusalem” (v.38). She didn’t stumble into the messianic revelation. It was a claim upon which she had staked her life and something she had waited many years to see. She remained in an attitude of worship of the One who would bring it to pass. And in the end, He proved to be the rewarder of her life (Hebrews 11:6).
We like to think we’re in control of the stuff of life, and we often use our own resources to bring about a desired result. We pursue a relationship, push an issue with our boss, or put ourselves deeper in debt to make sure we get what we want when we want it. Instead, if we determine in our hearts to wait for the presence of the Living God, not simply for an answer to our request, worship becomes a natural byproduct of the waiting.
Like Anna, let’s worship God even when we’re faced with unanswered prayers and unclear direction. Worship in the waiting can be a beautiful thing.
Read all of Isaiah 40:1 to fully grasp the context of verses 28-31 (a passage we often quote in reference to waiting for the Lord).
What has been your attitude toward an unanswered prayer? What is the connection between surrendering your will and worship? What does it mean to wait for the presence of the Lord?
- Out of Love - How did God show love for us through His sacrifice?...read more
- God's Masterpiece - What does it mean for God’s people to be a masterpiece?...read more
- Prayerful Retreat - How often do you have a “prayerful retreat” with God?...read more
- Laying Down Our Lives - What sometimes holds you back from laying down your life for others?...read more
- A Little Farther - Do you hear much about lament in your local church?...read more
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more
- Big and Small - What do you do with your worries?...read more
- A Way Out - Do you have a tendency to overestimate or underestimate?...read more