A Little FartherDo you hear much about lament in your local church?
Top Christian Music Videos
The Only Thing
A wise person thinks a lot about death, while a fool thinks only about having a good time (v.4).
My elderly friend called me to ask if I would come over and pray with his wife who he thought might not survive the night. It was a sacred privilege to kneel beside her bed.
When I grasped Janet’s hand, she looked at me and said, “How do I do this? I’ve never died before.” I asked her if she was ready to go, and she replied that she had long ago given her life to Jesus and she wasn’t about to stop now. She would trust Him to carry her across this final step. Janet spoke of her godly parents and her three children and dozen grandchildren who, as far as she could tell, were living for the Lord. We clasped hands and thanked God for the legacy that she had passed on to the next generation. We praised God for her eventual resurrection, and we cried with sadness for her impending death.
As I drove home, I realized that we had spoken only of the people in her life: Jesus, her parents, her husband, and her children. Janet hadn’t mentioned the job she gave up to stay home and care for her children—only that they had turned out as she had hoped. As she lay dying, Janet wasn’t thinking about any of her possessions, projects, or problems, but only about the people who filled her life with joy. I thought of what had burdened my heart earlier that day. The bills and daily problems that once had felt so big now seemed silly.
Death focuses the mind, which is why Solomon wrote, “Better to spend your time at funerals than at parties. After all, everyone dies—so the living should take this to heart” (Ecclesiastes 7:2). One day you’re going to die. What do you think will matter to you then? Live accordingly.
Read Psalms 90:1 to discover how death changes our perspective on life.
What would you do if you knew this was the last day of your life? Live with that mindset today!
- A Little Farther - Do you hear much about lament in your local church?...read more
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more
- Big and Small - What do you do with your worries?...read more
- A Way Out - Do you have a tendency to overestimate or underestimate?...read more
- Extravagant Love - When have you encountered God’s extravagant love?...read more
- Income vs. Investment - How will you be “rich in good works” today?...read more
- Famous in God’s Eyes - Who needs you to humbly, lovingly serve them today?...read more
- Shared Responsibility - Have you ever apologized for the actions of someone else?...read more