Staying TrueOur ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze.
Top Christian Music Videos
The Only Thing
A wise person thinks a lot about death, while a fool thinks only about having a good time (v.4).
My elderly friend called me to ask if I would come over and pray with his wife who he thought might not survive the night. It was a sacred privilege to kneel beside her bed.
When I grasped Janet’s hand, she looked at me and said, “How do I do this? I’ve never died before.” I asked her if she was ready to go, and she replied that she had long ago given her life to Jesus and she wasn’t about to stop now. She would trust Him to carry her across this final step. Janet spoke of her godly parents and her three children and dozen grandchildren who, as far as she could tell, were living for the Lord. We clasped hands and thanked God for the legacy that she had passed on to the next generation. We praised God for her eventual resurrection, and we cried with sadness for her impending death.
As I drove home, I realized that we had spoken only of the people in her life: Jesus, her parents, her husband, and her children. Janet hadn’t mentioned the job she gave up to stay home and care for her children—only that they had turned out as she had hoped. As she lay dying, Janet wasn’t thinking about any of her possessions, projects, or problems, but only about the people who filled her life with joy. I thought of what had burdened my heart earlier that day. The bills and daily problems that once had felt so big now seemed silly.
Death focuses the mind, which is why Solomon wrote, “Better to spend your time at funerals than at parties. After all, everyone dies—so the living should take this to heart” (Ecclesiastes 7:2). One day you’re going to die. What do you think will matter to you then? Live accordingly.
Read Psalms 90:1 to discover how death changes our perspective on life.
What would you do if you knew this was the last day of your life? Live with that mindset today!
- Staying True - Our ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze....read more
- Write Your Epitaph - How are you growing in your faith and the proclaiming of it?...read more
- What Happens in the End - Are you feeling hopeless and weary? Be reminded of what happens in the end!...read more
- Stop Painting Your Bucket - Who you are is who you are in Jesus....read more
- What We Have - When do you feel most grateful?...read more
- God's Perspective - What has God called you to do that might appear to be too challenging?...read more
- More than Walking on Water - Do you ever find yourself focusing more on what God can do than on who He is?...read more
- The Spirit’s Wind - In what areas of your life have you been laboring in your own strength instead of God’s power?...read more
- Laying Down Your Life - What does it mean for you to embrace Jesus as the One who laid down His life for you?...read more
- Hidden Costs - What are some ways you can avoid falling prey to Satan’s hidden costs this week?...read more
- Limits - How often are you weary or stressed from church work?...read more
- Healing Prayer - Why is it important for us to bring our pain and suffering to God?...read more
- Pleasing God in the Mundane - Do you sometimes feel drained by serving God and others?...read more
- Avoiding Mean Streets - In what ways have you been entering deeper into God’s wisdom or moving farther away from it?...read more
- The Presence of Jesus - What past or current sinful choice has caused you to experience shame?...read more
- When We See Jesus - Do you long to see Jesus?...read more