Awareness and ForgivenessHow has the grace of God changed your view of those dealing with sin?
Top Music Videos
The Only Thing
A wise person thinks a lot about death, while a fool thinks only about having a good time (v.4).
My elderly friend called me to ask if I would come over and pray with his wife who he thought might not survive the night. It was a sacred privilege to kneel beside her bed.
When I grasped Janet’s hand, she looked at me and said, “How do I do this? I’ve never died before.” I asked her if she was ready to go, and she replied that she had long ago given her life to Jesus and she wasn’t about to stop now. She would trust Him to carry her across this final step. Janet spoke of her godly parents and her three children and dozen grandchildren who, as far as she could tell, were living for the Lord. We clasped hands and thanked God for the legacy that she had passed on to the next generation. We praised God for her eventual resurrection, and we cried with sadness for her impending death.
As I drove home, I realized that we had spoken only of the people in her life: Jesus, her parents, her husband, and her children. Janet hadn’t mentioned the job she gave up to stay home and care for her children—only that they had turned out as she had hoped. As she lay dying, Janet wasn’t thinking about any of her possessions, projects, or problems, but only about the people who filled her life with joy. I thought of what had burdened my heart earlier that day. The bills and daily problems that once had felt so big now seemed silly.
Death focuses the mind, which is why Solomon wrote, “Better to spend your time at funerals than at parties. After all, everyone dies—so the living should take this to heart” (Ecclesiastes 7:2). One day you’re going to die. What do you think will matter to you then? Live accordingly.
Read Psalms 90:1 to discover how death changes our perspective on life.
What would you do if you knew this was the last day of your life? Live with that mindset today!
- Awareness and Forgiveness - How has the grace of God changed your view of those dealing with sin?...read more
- Encouragement Exchange - How could you give encouragement to someone today?...read more
- Raise the Temperature - ...read more
- Always There - Do you believe that the Lord is always with you?...read more
- Seasons of Grief - Are you going through a season of grief where you are struggling to grieve?...read more
- John's Question - What steps can you take to seek God’s perspective in a current challenging situation?...read more
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more