Raise the Temperature
Top Music Videos
Every Breath You Take
I had never given much thought to the value of a single breath until I encountered 2-week-old Nicole in an orphanage in East Africa. The tiny infant, who fit in the palm of my hand, was born prematurely, abandoned by her mother in the hospital delivery room, afflicted with meningitis, and plagued with painful bedsores that reached to her frail hipbones.
Though Nicole was too young to speak, each laboring breath she took screamed of her desire to live. Why does she fight to survive? I wondered. For in her short time on earth she had already experienced the type of agony and separation that had prompted an older and assumingly wiser Job to desire the end of life.
“Is not all human life a struggle?” Job lamented (Job 7:1Job 7:1. “How frail is humanity!” he exclaimed. “How short is life, how full of trouble!” (Job 14:1). I’ll “never again feel happiness,” he believed (Job 7:7). “My spirit is crushed, and my life is nearly snuffed out. The grave is ready to receive me” (Job 17:1).
Job didn’t share the unwavering confidence of the psalmist, who penned, “You have allowed me to suffer much hardship, but You will restore me to life again and lift me up from the depths of the earth” (Psalm 71:20). And yet the Lord restored Job’s life. He healed Job and replenished his joy. As He did for the psalmist, God snatched Job “from the power of the grave” (Psalm 49:15).
God extended Baby Nicole’s days too, healing her meningitis and restoring her body. Nicole is now a happy 5-year-old who loves to run, play, laugh, and talk about her Father who gave her life.
Though the Lord allows us to suffer hardships, He also restores us and lifts us “up from the depths of the earth” (Psalm 71:20).
Read Psalm 71:7. How has God used you or someone you know to reveal Himself to others?
Spend time in prayer, thanking God for giving you life and for each breath He has graciously granted you. How have hardships helped shape your faith in Him?
- Raise the Temperature - ...read more
- Always There - Do you believe that the Lord is always with you?...read more
- Seasons of Grief - Are you going through a season of grief where you are struggling to grieve?...read more
- John's Question - What steps can you take to seek God’s perspective in a current challenging situation?...read more
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more