Right and Wrong WordsIs your tongue quick to criticize but slow to apologize?
Top Christian Music Videos
Every Breath You Take
I had never given much thought to the value of a single breath until I encountered 2-week-old Nicole in an orphanage in East Africa. The tiny infant, who fit in the palm of my hand, was born prematurely, abandoned by her mother in the hospital delivery room, afflicted with meningitis, and plagued with painful bedsores that reached to her frail hipbones.
Though Nicole was too young to speak, each laboring breath she took screamed of her desire to live. Why does she fight to survive? I wondered. For in her short time on earth she had already experienced the type of agony and separation that had prompted an older and assumingly wiser Job to desire the end of life.
“Is not all human life a struggle?” Job lamented (Job 7:1Job 7:1. “How frail is humanity!” he exclaimed. “How short is life, how full of trouble!” (Job 14:1). I’ll “never again feel happiness,” he believed (Job 7:7). “My spirit is crushed, and my life is nearly snuffed out. The grave is ready to receive me” (Job 17:1).
Job didn’t share the unwavering confidence of the psalmist, who penned, “You have allowed me to suffer much hardship, but You will restore me to life again and lift me up from the depths of the earth” (Psalm 71:20). And yet the Lord restored Job’s life. He healed Job and replenished his joy. As He did for the psalmist, God snatched Job “from the power of the grave” (Psalm 49:15).
God extended Baby Nicole’s days too, healing her meningitis and restoring her body. Nicole is now a happy 5-year-old who loves to run, play, laugh, and talk about her Father who gave her life.
Though the Lord allows us to suffer hardships, He also restores us and lifts us “up from the depths of the earth” (Psalm 71:20).
Read Psalm 71:7. How has God used you or someone you know to reveal Himself to others?
Spend time in prayer, thanking God for giving you life and for each breath He has graciously granted you. How have hardships helped shape your faith in Him?
- Right and Wrong Words - Is your tongue quick to criticize but slow to apologize?...read more
- Kindness and Hospitality - How are you using your God-given gifts to love and serve others?...read more
- Rejoicing in Deep Need - What happens when you choose to rejoice in God even when you’re in deep need?...read more
- Staying True - Our ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze....read more
- Write Your Epitaph - How are you growing in your faith and the proclaiming of it?...read more
- What Happens in the End - Are you feeling hopeless and weary? Be reminded of what happens in the end!...read more
- Stop Painting Your Bucket - Who you are is who you are in Jesus....read more
- What We Have - When do you feel most grateful?...read more
- God's Perspective - What has God called you to do that might appear to be too challenging?...read more
- More than Walking on Water - Do you ever find yourself focusing more on what God can do than on who He is?...read more
- The Spirit’s Wind - In what areas of your life have you been laboring in your own strength instead of God’s power?...read more
- Laying Down Your Life - What does it mean for you to embrace Jesus as the One who laid down His life for you?...read more
- Hidden Costs - What are some ways you can avoid falling prey to Satan’s hidden costs this week?...read more
- Limits - How often are you weary or stressed from church work?...read more
- Healing Prayer - Why is it important for us to bring our pain and suffering to God?...read more
- Pleasing God in the Mundane - Do you sometimes feel drained by serving God and others?...read more