Timeless GrooveWhat lesser gods are you being tempted to follow?
Top Christian Music Videos
How many times have you, as I have, delved into sin—addiction, sexual impropriety, gossip, pride, unbridled anger, slothfulness, and more—in an attempt to mask the pain of life? It’s so easy to respond to emptiness, disappointment, or hurt by turning away from God’s commands.
We find, however, that sin never leads to the peace or lasting fulfillment we crave. Instead, as we take things into our own hands and disobey God, we find only heartache and perhaps even deep depression.
It may be hard to understand how God’s Word can bring satisfaction to our lives when we believe we’re missing out on a human relationship or some material comfort. But it’s only when we communicate with God and place our confidence in Him and His Word that we can experience peace that “exceeds anything we can understand” (Philippians 4:6-7) and contentment that defies circumstances (1 Timothy 6:6).
In Psalm 119, the psalmist—who experienced harassment, hunger, loneliness, suffering, and enemy attacks—testifies that true encouragement is found in God’s Word. There’s so much to be gleaned from “the wonderful truths in [God’s] instructions” (v.18). Follow the psalmist’s lead by asking God to...
- Help you understand the meaning of His commandments (v.130).
- Create within you a desire for His Word (v.131).
- Keep you from being overcome by evil (v.133). • Allow you to experience His unfailing love (v.135).
- Provide you with right directions for life because He is righteous (v.137).
- Equip you with wisdom that’s trustworthy (v.138).
Cry out to God. Turn to His Word. Only there will you find the peace and lasting fulfillment that only He can give. —Roxanne Robbins
The teaching of Your Word gives light, so even the simple can understand (v.130).
Read Psalm 119:81 and consider how you can “hope” in God and His Word today.
Compare your trials with those faced by the writer of Psalm 119 What truths from God’s Word can help you face the challenges of today?
- Timeless Groove - What lesser gods are you being tempted to follow?...read more
- Running the Race - How deliberate are you in your spiritual training?...read more
- Out of Love - How did God show love for us through His sacrifice?...read more
- God's Masterpiece - What does it mean for God’s people to be a masterpiece?...read more
- Prayerful Retreat - How often do you have a “prayerful retreat” with God?...read more
- Laying Down Our Lives - What sometimes holds you back from laying down your life for others?...read more
- A Little Farther - Do you hear much about lament in your local church?...read more
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more