What We ValueHow often do you read the Bible?
Top Music Videos
How many times have you, as I have, delved into sin—addiction, sexual impropriety, gossip, pride, unbridled anger, slothfulness, and more—in an attempt to mask the pain of life? It’s so easy to respond to emptiness, disappointment, or hurt by turning away from God’s commands.
We find, however, that sin never leads to the peace or lasting fulfillment we crave. Instead, as we take things into our own hands and disobey God, we find only heartache and perhaps even deep depression.
It may be hard to understand how God’s Word can bring satisfaction to our lives when we believe we’re missing out on a human relationship or some material comfort. But it’s only when we communicate with God and place our confidence in Him and His Word that we can experience peace that “exceeds anything we can understand” (Philippians 4:6-7) and contentment that defies circumstances (1 Timothy 6:6).
In Psalm 119, the psalmist—who experienced harassment, hunger, loneliness, suffering, and enemy attacks—testifies that true encouragement is found in God’s Word. There’s so much to be gleaned from “the wonderful truths in [God’s] instructions” (v.18). Follow the psalmist’s lead by asking God to...
- Help you understand the meaning of His commandments (v.130).
- Create within you a desire for His Word (v.131).
- Keep you from being overcome by evil (v.133). • Allow you to experience His unfailing love (v.135).
- Provide you with right directions for life because He is righteous (v.137).
- Equip you with wisdom that’s trustworthy (v.138).
Cry out to God. Turn to His Word. Only there will you find the peace and lasting fulfillment that only He can give. —Roxanne Robbins
The teaching of Your Word gives light, so even the simple can understand (v.130).
Read Psalm 119:81 and consider how you can “hope” in God and His Word today.
Compare your trials with those faced by the writer of Psalm 119 What truths from God’s Word can help you face the challenges of today?
- What We Value - How often do you read the Bible?...read more
- The Job Paradox - When have you missed an opportunity to follow God’s guidance during a difficult time?...read more
- Begging the Question? - Do you ever feel pressure to share your faith in ways that seem awkward to you?...read more
- Fulfilled - Why is it important to view Old Testament laws through the lens of Jesus’ fulfillment of them?...read more
- Red Houses - What has God given you—time, finances, ability—that you can use to help someone in need today?...read more
- Tongues Afire - When have you recently endured the wound of another person’s words?...read more
- True Fellowship - What comes to your mind when you hear the word fellowship?...read more
- After 35 - What does it mean for you to rely on God in all things?...read more
- The Failure Wall - In what ways do you need to be prepared for encounters with spiritual enemies?...read more
- Worship 101 - What can you praise God for today?...read more
- Distance - What expectations do you have of fellow church members when it comes to meeting your needs?...read more
- Sarcasm and Sincerity - Do your words provide a safe environment for others?...read more
- Empty Spaces - What’s taking up space in your heart?...read more
- Showing the Way - How prepared are you to share your faith with others?...read more
- New Address? - Where’s the line between worrying and simply pondering a decision?...read more
- Real Stewardship - How are you using your gifts and talents to bring God to others?...read more