Rich in Good WorksHow can you encourage other believers in Jesus to “be rich in good works”?
Top Music Videos
How many times have you, as I have, delved into sin—addiction, sexual impropriety, gossip, pride, unbridled anger, slothfulness, and more—in an attempt to mask the pain of life? It’s so easy to respond to emptiness, disappointment, or hurt by turning away from God’s commands.
We find, however, that sin never leads to the peace or lasting fulfillment we crave. Instead, as we take things into our own hands and disobey God, we find only heartache and perhaps even deep depression.
It may be hard to understand how God’s Word can bring satisfaction to our lives when we believe we’re missing out on a human relationship or some material comfort. But it’s only when we communicate with God and place our confidence in Him and His Word that we can experience peace that “exceeds anything we can understand” (Philippians 4:6-7) and contentment that defies circumstances (1 Timothy 6:6).
In Psalm 119, the psalmist—who experienced harassment, hunger, loneliness, suffering, and enemy attacks—testifies that true encouragement is found in God’s Word. There’s so much to be gleaned from “the wonderful truths in [God’s] instructions” (v.18). Follow the psalmist’s lead by asking God to...
- Help you understand the meaning of His commandments (v.130).
- Create within you a desire for His Word (v.131).
- Keep you from being overcome by evil (v.133). • Allow you to experience His unfailing love (v.135).
- Provide you with right directions for life because He is righteous (v.137).
- Equip you with wisdom that’s trustworthy (v.138).
Cry out to God. Turn to His Word. Only there will you find the peace and lasting fulfillment that only He can give. —Roxanne Robbins
The teaching of Your Word gives light, so even the simple can understand (v.130).
Read Psalm 119:81 and consider how you can “hope” in God and His Word today.
Compare your trials with those faced by the writer of Psalm 119 What truths from God’s Word can help you face the challenges of today?
- Rich in Good Works - How can you encourage other believers in Jesus to “be rich in good works”?...read more
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more