Laying Our Lives DownHow has Jesus’ example inspired you to freely give of yourself?
Top Music Videos
How many times have you, as I have, delved into sin—addiction, sexual impropriety, gossip, pride, unbridled anger, slothfulness, and more—in an attempt to mask the pain of life? It’s so easy to respond to emptiness, disappointment, or hurt by turning away from God’s commands.
We find, however, that sin never leads to the peace or lasting fulfillment we crave. Instead, as we take things into our own hands and disobey God, we find only heartache and perhaps even deep depression.
It may be hard to understand how God’s Word can bring satisfaction to our lives when we believe we’re missing out on a human relationship or some material comfort. But it’s only when we communicate with God and place our confidence in Him and His Word that we can experience peace that “exceeds anything we can understand” (Philippians 4:6-7) and contentment that defies circumstances (1 Timothy 6:6).
In Psalm 119, the psalmist—who experienced harassment, hunger, loneliness, suffering, and enemy attacks—testifies that true encouragement is found in God’s Word. There’s so much to be gleaned from “the wonderful truths in [God’s] instructions” (v.18). Follow the psalmist’s lead by asking God to...
- Help you understand the meaning of His commandments (v.130).
- Create within you a desire for His Word (v.131).
- Keep you from being overcome by evil (v.133). • Allow you to experience His unfailing love (v.135).
- Provide you with right directions for life because He is righteous (v.137).
- Equip you with wisdom that’s trustworthy (v.138).
Cry out to God. Turn to His Word. Only there will you find the peace and lasting fulfillment that only He can give. —Roxanne Robbins
The teaching of Your Word gives light, so even the simple can understand (v.130).
Read Psalm 119:81 and consider how you can “hope” in God and His Word today.
Compare your trials with those faced by the writer of Psalm 119 What truths from God’s Word can help you face the challenges of today?
- Laying Our Lives Down - How has Jesus’ example inspired you to freely give of yourself?...read more
- "Brutiful" - How has God worked in “brutiful” ways in your life?...read more
- The First Day—Again - How does Jesus’ resurrection infuse you with fresh hope?...read more
- Clueless at the Light - What would others say about my influence on them?...read more
- Stinging Words - How have you experienced emotional or spiritual captivity?...read more
- Everyone Has a Story - Who needs you to listen to them? Make time for them today....read more
- Gateway of Hope - How has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?...read more
- Philip Flunked - What specific truth about God could help you with a problem you’re currently facing?...read more
- Source of All Life - Every blessing comes from God....read more
- Trapped in Sin - How can you be set free and made right with God?...read more
- Hope Beyond Discouragement - How will you point others to the Source of Hope today?...read more
- Play Your Part - How can you encourage others to fulfill their calling?...read more
- Broken Community - How do we live out holiness without becoming judgmental of others?...read more
- Giving Out Love - How has God provided for you and those you love?...read more
- Assets that Matter - How can you submit more fully to the Holy Spirit’s refining work in your life?...read more
- The Skeptic - What doubt about God is most persistent in your thoughts?...read more