Offering Refuge and HopeHow can you practically and prayerfully support refugees?
Top Music Videos
Seeking & Following
In Mark 10, we follow the lives of two men. Financially
they couldn’t be more different. Spiritually they have
much in common. Their stories teach us much.
One is a rich man who has all his physical needs met
(Mark 10:22); the other is a blind man who must beg for
his food (10:46). The rich man approaches Jesus with
ease; the poor man shouts over the crowds to be heard
(vv.47-48). The rich man falls to his knees and asks for
eternal life (v.17); the poor man sits on his mat, begging
for mercy (v.47). One is loved (v.21); the other affirmed
(v.49). Both get to spend time with the Master.
Jesus talks to the rich man about obeying the Law. “I’ve
obeyed all these commandments since I was young,”
the man replies (v.20). Jesus asks the poor man what he
wants, and gets this answer: “My Rabbi, . . . I want to
see!” (v.51). The first man is told to sell all that he has
and give to the poor—a command he considers too hard
(vv.21-22). The second man, in contrast, throws aside
his only coat (v.50) and soon experiences miraculous
healing (v.52). The rich man is told to “go” sell his
possessions, but declines (vv.21-22); the poor man is told
to “go” in faith, and follows (v.52). The rich man leaves
sad; the poor man becomes a disciple.
Many lessons emerge from these two stories—namely,
that wealth can be an idol that keeps us from God
(v.25). But note the similarities again: Both men had a
need, both thought Jesus held the answer, and both received His love. But only
one man relinquished his life to follow Jesus.
Jesus loves us all. The tragedy is this: His love for us doesn’t guarantee our
love for Him in return. Let’s do more than simply seek Him—let’s follow Him.
Compare the blind man’s story to James and John asking Jesus for the best
seats in the kingdom (10:35-45). How do the two requests, and Jesus’
What has Jesus asked you to relinquish in order to follow Him? What’s
the difference between seeking and following?
- Offering Refuge and Hope - How can you practically and prayerfully support refugees?...read more
- Songs Before Dawn - How will you use your voice to let the good news ring out today?...read more
- Uber Conversations - How do the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit model a loving relationship?...read more
- Prayer on an Airplane - How can you prepare to share the hope you have in Jesus?...read more
- Adding Interest? - Is there something you’re holding back from God?...read more
- Lord of the Cosmos - What does Jesus being “Lord of the cosmos” mean for your future?...read more
- Farming Hope - What trial are you facing today?...read more
- Because of Sunday - How can you learn to imitate Jesus and His mindset as you face conflict?...read more
- Our Real and Present God - When have you grappled with questions about God’s nearness and presence?...read more
- Gift of Tears - What triggers your emotions?...read more
- Faith in the Fields - Jesus urged His disciples to tell people about Him for “the Kingdom of Heaven is near.”...read more
- Pizza and God's Presence - When do you feel most vulnerable?...read more
- Peace and Contentment - What changes could you make to better “seek the Kingdom of God above all else”?...read more
- Beauty of Diversity - Do your relationships reflect the beautiful diversity of the early church?...read more
- Starting Small - Read Philippians 1:6 and consider how God will finish the good work He started in you....read more
- “For God’s Sake!” - What have been your responses to particularly painful moments in life?...read more