Genuine LoveHow have you experienced the reality of God’s love?
Top Music Videos
Seeking & Following
In Mark 10, we follow the lives of two men. Financially
they couldn’t be more different. Spiritually they have
much in common. Their stories teach us much.
One is a rich man who has all his physical needs met
(Mark 10:22); the other is a blind man who must beg for
his food (10:46). The rich man approaches Jesus with
ease; the poor man shouts over the crowds to be heard
(vv.47-48). The rich man falls to his knees and asks for
eternal life (v.17); the poor man sits on his mat, begging
for mercy (v.47). One is loved (v.21); the other affirmed
(v.49). Both get to spend time with the Master.
Jesus talks to the rich man about obeying the Law. “I’ve
obeyed all these commandments since I was young,”
the man replies (v.20). Jesus asks the poor man what he
wants, and gets this answer: “My Rabbi, . . . I want to
see!” (v.51). The first man is told to sell all that he has
and give to the poor—a command he considers too hard
(vv.21-22). The second man, in contrast, throws aside
his only coat (v.50) and soon experiences miraculous
healing (v.52). The rich man is told to “go” sell his
possessions, but declines (vv.21-22); the poor man is told
to “go” in faith, and follows (v.52). The rich man leaves
sad; the poor man becomes a disciple.
Many lessons emerge from these two stories—namely,
that wealth can be an idol that keeps us from God
(v.25). But note the similarities again: Both men had a
need, both thought Jesus held the answer, and both received His love. But only
one man relinquished his life to follow Jesus.
Jesus loves us all. The tragedy is this: His love for us doesn’t guarantee our
love for Him in return. Let’s do more than simply seek Him—let’s follow Him.
Compare the blind man’s story to James and John asking Jesus for the best
seats in the kingdom (10:35-45). How do the two requests, and Jesus’
What has Jesus asked you to relinquish in order to follow Him? What’s
the difference between seeking and following?
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more
- The Narrow Door - How can salvation be a free gift simply received and yet still require our response?...read more
- Last Dance - How can you focus on thoughts that are lovely and admirable today?...read more
- Free to Forgive - How has God’s forgiveness changed your heart?...read more
- Friendly Wounds - What does it mean to “speak the truth in love”?...read more
- Hope Awakening - Do you tend to see the glass as half empty or half full?...read more
- Life and Loss - Where are you going with your pain?...read more