LaughterHow do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?
Top Music Videos
Seeking & Following
In Mark 10, we follow the lives of two men. Financially
they couldn’t be more different. Spiritually they have
much in common. Their stories teach us much.
One is a rich man who has all his physical needs met
(Mark 10:22); the other is a blind man who must beg for
his food (10:46). The rich man approaches Jesus with
ease; the poor man shouts over the crowds to be heard
(vv.47-48). The rich man falls to his knees and asks for
eternal life (v.17); the poor man sits on his mat, begging
for mercy (v.47). One is loved (v.21); the other affirmed
(v.49). Both get to spend time with the Master.
Jesus talks to the rich man about obeying the Law. “I’ve
obeyed all these commandments since I was young,”
the man replies (v.20). Jesus asks the poor man what he
wants, and gets this answer: “My Rabbi, . . . I want to
see!” (v.51). The first man is told to sell all that he has
and give to the poor—a command he considers too hard
(vv.21-22). The second man, in contrast, throws aside
his only coat (v.50) and soon experiences miraculous
healing (v.52). The rich man is told to “go” sell his
possessions, but declines (vv.21-22); the poor man is told
to “go” in faith, and follows (v.52). The rich man leaves
sad; the poor man becomes a disciple.
Many lessons emerge from these two stories—namely,
that wealth can be an idol that keeps us from God
(v.25). But note the similarities again: Both men had a
need, both thought Jesus held the answer, and both received His love. But only
one man relinquished his life to follow Jesus.
Jesus loves us all. The tragedy is this: His love for us doesn’t guarantee our
love for Him in return. Let’s do more than simply seek Him—let’s follow Him.
Compare the blind man’s story to James and John asking Jesus for the best
seats in the kingdom (10:35-45). How do the two requests, and Jesus’
What has Jesus asked you to relinquish in order to follow Him? What’s
the difference between seeking and following?
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more
- Awe - Where and when do you find yourself most in awe of God?...read more
- Purpose - How does the apostle Paul’s life demonstrate God’s “purpose” to you?...read more