WashedIn what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?
Top Music Videos
So encourage each other with these words (v.18).
Hurry home! —Dad.
Foraging through old boxes, as my husband and I cleaned out our garage, I started to cry when I saw that brief note. Written over 18 years prior, the message had been quickly scrawled on the jacket of a plane ticket my dad had sent me when I was in college. Because I attended a school over 1,200 miles away from home, I eagerly anticipated any chance to see my family. Seeing his words again was especially poignant as my dad’s home today is no longer on this earth.
Not a mere message from my earthly father, the note held deeper reminders. Our hope rests on something far more than what we see with our eyes, and this world is not our real home (1 Thessalonians 1:13).
The price for our sin having been paid on the cross, God has “made [us] alive with Christ, for He forgave all our sins” (Colossians 2:13). In that same letter, Paul continues by saying, “Since you have been raised to new life with Christ, set your sights on the realities of heaven, where Christ sits in the place of honor at God’s right hand” (3:1).
As believers, we’re called to live in a world of paradox. What we can see, touch, and hear around us remain but a hint of what is real. And yet, we must remember that the apostle John testified of the Messiah “whom we have heard and seen. We saw Him with our own eyes and touched Him with our own hands. He is the Word of life” (1 John 1:1). Jesus became visible in the “shadow-world” that He might call us to the reality of the invisible.
Heaven is not a myth or a legend; it is reality (1 Thessalonians 4:17), and the encouraging message of the cross continues to speak, hurry home.
Read 2 Peter 3:3 to understand how our perspective of this world is to be different from that of someone who doesn’t believe God’s message.
What are some practical ways we can live out the duality of living in this world while holding on to the reality of heaven? In what ways is God calling you to speak to those who need His message?
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more