Running the RaceHow deliberate are you in your spiritual training?
Top Christian Music Videos
So encourage each other with these words (v.18).
Hurry home! —Dad.
Foraging through old boxes, as my husband and I cleaned out our garage, I started to cry when I saw that brief note. Written over 18 years prior, the message had been quickly scrawled on the jacket of a plane ticket my dad had sent me when I was in college. Because I attended a school over 1,200 miles away from home, I eagerly anticipated any chance to see my family. Seeing his words again was especially poignant as my dad’s home today is no longer on this earth.
Not a mere message from my earthly father, the note held deeper reminders. Our hope rests on something far more than what we see with our eyes, and this world is not our real home (1 Thessalonians 1:13).
The price for our sin having been paid on the cross, God has “made [us] alive with Christ, for He forgave all our sins” (Colossians 2:13). In that same letter, Paul continues by saying, “Since you have been raised to new life with Christ, set your sights on the realities of heaven, where Christ sits in the place of honor at God’s right hand” (3:1).
As believers, we’re called to live in a world of paradox. What we can see, touch, and hear around us remain but a hint of what is real. And yet, we must remember that the apostle John testified of the Messiah “whom we have heard and seen. We saw Him with our own eyes and touched Him with our own hands. He is the Word of life” (1 John 1:1). Jesus became visible in the “shadow-world” that He might call us to the reality of the invisible.
Heaven is not a myth or a legend; it is reality (1 Thessalonians 4:17), and the encouraging message of the cross continues to speak, hurry home.
Read 2 Peter 3:3 to understand how our perspective of this world is to be different from that of someone who doesn’t believe God’s message.
What are some practical ways we can live out the duality of living in this world while holding on to the reality of heaven? In what ways is God calling you to speak to those who need His message?
- Running the Race - How deliberate are you in your spiritual training?...read more
- Out of Love - How did God show love for us through His sacrifice?...read more
- God's Masterpiece - What does it mean for God’s people to be a masterpiece?...read more
- Prayerful Retreat - How often do you have a “prayerful retreat” with God?...read more
- Laying Down Our Lives - What sometimes holds you back from laying down your life for others?...read more
- A Little Farther - Do you hear much about lament in your local church?...read more
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more
- Big and Small - What do you do with your worries?...read more