VictoryWhat battles are you facing these days?
Top Music Videos
So encourage each other with these words (v.18).
Hurry home! —Dad.
Foraging through old boxes, as my husband and I cleaned out our garage, I started to cry when I saw that brief note. Written over 18 years prior, the message had been quickly scrawled on the jacket of a plane ticket my dad had sent me when I was in college. Because I attended a school over 1,200 miles away from home, I eagerly anticipated any chance to see my family. Seeing his words again was especially poignant as my dad’s home today is no longer on this earth.
Not a mere message from my earthly father, the note held deeper reminders. Our hope rests on something far more than what we see with our eyes, and this world is not our real home (1 Thessalonians 1:13).
The price for our sin having been paid on the cross, God has “made [us] alive with Christ, for He forgave all our sins” (Colossians 2:13). In that same letter, Paul continues by saying, “Since you have been raised to new life with Christ, set your sights on the realities of heaven, where Christ sits in the place of honor at God’s right hand” (3:1).
As believers, we’re called to live in a world of paradox. What we can see, touch, and hear around us remain but a hint of what is real. And yet, we must remember that the apostle John testified of the Messiah “whom we have heard and seen. We saw Him with our own eyes and touched Him with our own hands. He is the Word of life” (1 John 1:1). Jesus became visible in the “shadow-world” that He might call us to the reality of the invisible.
Heaven is not a myth or a legend; it is reality (1 Thessalonians 4:17), and the encouraging message of the cross continues to speak, hurry home.
Read 2 Peter 3:3 to understand how our perspective of this world is to be different from that of someone who doesn’t believe God’s message.
What are some practical ways we can live out the duality of living in this world while holding on to the reality of heaven? In what ways is God calling you to speak to those who need His message?
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more
- The Narrow Door - How can salvation be a free gift simply received and yet still require our response?...read more
- Last Dance - How can you focus on thoughts that are lovely and admirable today?...read more
- Free to Forgive - How has God’s forgiveness changed your heart?...read more
- Friendly Wounds - What does it mean to “speak the truth in love”?...read more