Another OptionWhat wisdom from Scripture can help you in a dilemma?
Top Christian Music Videos
So encourage each other with these words (v.18).
Hurry home! —Dad.
Foraging through old boxes, as my husband and I cleaned out our garage, I started to cry when I saw that brief note. Written over 18 years prior, the message had been quickly scrawled on the jacket of a plane ticket my dad had sent me when I was in college. Because I attended a school over 1,200 miles away from home, I eagerly anticipated any chance to see my family. Seeing his words again was especially poignant as my dad’s home today is no longer on this earth.
Not a mere message from my earthly father, the note held deeper reminders. Our hope rests on something far more than what we see with our eyes, and this world is not our real home (1 Thessalonians 1:13).
The price for our sin having been paid on the cross, God has “made [us] alive with Christ, for He forgave all our sins” (Colossians 2:13). In that same letter, Paul continues by saying, “Since you have been raised to new life with Christ, set your sights on the realities of heaven, where Christ sits in the place of honor at God’s right hand” (3:1).
As believers, we’re called to live in a world of paradox. What we can see, touch, and hear around us remain but a hint of what is real. And yet, we must remember that the apostle John testified of the Messiah “whom we have heard and seen. We saw Him with our own eyes and touched Him with our own hands. He is the Word of life” (1 John 1:1). Jesus became visible in the “shadow-world” that He might call us to the reality of the invisible.
Heaven is not a myth or a legend; it is reality (1 Thessalonians 4:17), and the encouraging message of the cross continues to speak, hurry home.
Read 2 Peter 3:3 to understand how our perspective of this world is to be different from that of someone who doesn’t believe God’s message.
What are some practical ways we can live out the duality of living in this world while holding on to the reality of heaven? In what ways is God calling you to speak to those who need His message?
- Another Option - What wisdom from Scripture can help you in a dilemma?...read more
- He Will Handle It - What burden will you give to Him today?...read more
- Always Loved - Even before he made the world, God loved us and chose us....read more
- Run with It! - Jesus is the author of life....read more
- Sacrificial Love - What does it mean for you to carry your cross?...read more
- Autograph of the Ordinary - Do you accept the truth that God is in your ordinary work?...read more
- The Gift of Love - How should you respond to such a great love?...read more
- Warm Welcome - How does warm hospitality reflect God’s loving heart?...read more
- In the Gap - What has God equipped you with to intercede for others?...read more
- Confession and Blessing - How does repentance reveal our faith and trust in Jesus?...read more
- Breaking the Mold - How are you sharing Jesus with the next generation?...read more
- Diseased Hearts - What are the implications of only God truly knowing the heart and being able to cure it?...read more
- To Make Them Better - To follow Jesus means we allow God to transform the whole of our life....read more
- Looking for Work? - Consider how God has uniquely equipped you....read more
- Out of the Blue - God intervened before we were aware of our need....read more
- Joy and Sadness - Is there sadness in your life you need to embrace?...read more