Happy at YouDo you know deep down that God loves you dearly?
Top Christian Music Videos
Jesus replied, “I tell you the truth, unless you are born again, you cannot see the kingdom of God” (v.3).
The other day I noticed a bumper sticker on the back of an SUV that read, “Born right, the first time.” I can’t be certain, but there’s a good chance the message is a reaction against being “born again” as a believer in Jesus.
The phrase “born again” originated with Jesus. In John 3, Jesus told a religious leader by the name of Nicodemus (who was interested in learning more about Christ) that “unless you are born again, you cannot see the kingdom of God” (v.3).
Jesus’ bold statement seemed to perplex Nicodemus (v.4). To be honest, I think I would have been a bit bewildered too. Turning water into wine is one thing (John 2:1), but having to return to your mother’s womb and go through the birthing process twice—that seems a bit bizarre.
Once again, however, there was a deeper meaning to Jesus’ words. Bible scholars tell us that the phrase translated “born again” is normally translated “born from above.” Jesus went on to clarify to Nicodemus that He was not speaking of physical birth. He was referring to a spiritual birth through God’s Spirit—“Humans can reproduce only human life, but the Holy Spirit gives birth to spiritual life” (3:6).
According to Jesus, entrance into God’s kingdom requires the miracle of a spiritual birth from above. We don’t know how long it took for Jesus’ meaning to finally sink in, but Nicodemus began to grasp the good news. As one Bible commentator put it, “Nothing in the Judaism he knew offered anything like this.”
Jesus further explained to Nicodemus that God sent Him to offer the miracle of a new birth and the promise of eternal life in His kingdom to anyone who “believes in Him” (John 3:16). Yes, we have been born twice by God’s grace!
Read Ezekiel 36:25 and note how God used the prophet to point to the day when people would be born again.
Why do some people vehemently disagree with the idea that we need to be born twice? How has being born again changed you?
- Happy at You - Do you know deep down that God loves you dearly?...read more
- The Shepherd's Voice - Have you ever had an experience where you believe God spoke to you?...read more
- Fearless - How can you learn to trust God more deeply and follow Him more courageously?...read more
- Next Steps - Have you ever made a choice or taken an unwise risk that caused you pain?...read more
- Cleansing and Calling - What does it mean to follow God’s calling in your life?...read more
- Finding Refuge - What does it mean for God to be your true refuge?...read more
- Why Pray? - What do you need to ask God for today?...read more
- Love and Adoption - What does it mean to you to be adopted by your heavenly Father?...read more
- Worship and Service - Why is it so vital for you to worship God with all you are?...read more
- Holy Desperation - Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus?...read more
- Insisting on Joy - What would it look like for you to insist on joy this week?...read more
- Hot Water - Where in your spiritual life have you become complacent?...read more
- Remade - Do any areas of your life need to be remade?...read more
- God’s Renewing Presence - What can you do to experience God’s renewing presence today?...read more
- Enduring Hope - Have you lost hope and become disillusioned with life?...read more
- Grasping Grace - What does God’s grace mean to you?...read more