Laying Our Lives DownHow has Jesus’ example inspired you to freely give of yourself?
Top Music Videos
Jesus replied, “I tell you the truth, unless you are born again, you cannot see the kingdom of God” (v.3).
The other day I noticed a bumper sticker on the back of an SUV that read, “Born right, the first time.” I can’t be certain, but there’s a good chance the message is a reaction against being “born again” as a believer in Jesus.
The phrase “born again” originated with Jesus. In John 3, Jesus told a religious leader by the name of Nicodemus (who was interested in learning more about Christ) that “unless you are born again, you cannot see the kingdom of God” (v.3).
Jesus’ bold statement seemed to perplex Nicodemus (v.4). To be honest, I think I would have been a bit bewildered too. Turning water into wine is one thing (John 2:1), but having to return to your mother’s womb and go through the birthing process twice—that seems a bit bizarre.
Once again, however, there was a deeper meaning to Jesus’ words. Bible scholars tell us that the phrase translated “born again” is normally translated “born from above.” Jesus went on to clarify to Nicodemus that He was not speaking of physical birth. He was referring to a spiritual birth through God’s Spirit—“Humans can reproduce only human life, but the Holy Spirit gives birth to spiritual life” (3:6).
According to Jesus, entrance into God’s kingdom requires the miracle of a spiritual birth from above. We don’t know how long it took for Jesus’ meaning to finally sink in, but Nicodemus began to grasp the good news. As one Bible commentator put it, “Nothing in the Judaism he knew offered anything like this.”
Jesus further explained to Nicodemus that God sent Him to offer the miracle of a new birth and the promise of eternal life in His kingdom to anyone who “believes in Him” (John 3:16). Yes, we have been born twice by God’s grace!
Read Ezekiel 36:25 and note how God used the prophet to point to the day when people would be born again.
Why do some people vehemently disagree with the idea that we need to be born twice? How has being born again changed you?
- Laying Our Lives Down - How has Jesus’ example inspired you to freely give of yourself?...read more
- "Brutiful" - How has God worked in “brutiful” ways in your life?...read more
- The First Day—Again - How does Jesus’ resurrection infuse you with fresh hope?...read more
- Clueless at the Light - What would others say about my influence on them?...read more
- Stinging Words - How have you experienced emotional or spiritual captivity?...read more
- Everyone Has a Story - Who needs you to listen to them? Make time for them today....read more
- Gateway of Hope - How has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?...read more
- Philip Flunked - What specific truth about God could help you with a problem you’re currently facing?...read more
- Source of All Life - Every blessing comes from God....read more
- Trapped in Sin - How can you be set free and made right with God?...read more
- Hope Beyond Discouragement - How will you point others to the Source of Hope today?...read more
- Play Your Part - How can you encourage others to fulfill their calling?...read more
- Broken Community - How do we live out holiness without becoming judgmental of others?...read more
- Giving Out Love - How has God provided for you and those you love?...read more
- Assets that Matter - How can you submit more fully to the Holy Spirit’s refining work in your life?...read more
- The Skeptic - What doubt about God is most persistent in your thoughts?...read more