Warm WelcomeHow does warm hospitality reflect God’s loving heart?
Top Christian Music Videos
To discipline a child produces wisdom (v.15).
Seven years ago, she stayed after Bible study to
talk about her struggles as a mom. With a child
nearing preadolescence, she was torn between
making decisions that would make her daughter feel
different than her peers and wanting the young girl to “fit
in” to avoid the social ostracism of her own teen years.
Today her daughter “fits in” a little too well. Beautiful and
talented, she’s dating the “cool” guy who is charismatic and
popular. She’s got it all. Everything, that is, but her virginity.
Having ministered to youth for many years, my husband
and I have observed a lot about parenting from the
outside. Still in the trenches with our own two children,
we’re far from having all the answers. Sadly though,
we’ve had front row seats to a few situations where
parents have relinquished their responsibility to protect
their child in exchange for the vicarious affirmation they
receive through the teen’s acceptance by others.
Before we can make truly selfless decisions for our
children, we have to go head to head with our own
insecurities. If we see things through our own scars, we
may be tempted to overlook an issue that needs to be
addressed. For we’re caught up in the fact that our child
has gained something (or someone) we didn’t have.
In Proverbs 29, Solomon reminds us of the biblical
principle that godly shepherding isn’t always comfortable
and painless (John 10:12-15). It often requires that we
risk the ire of those we love by giving them the “wisdom” (Proverbs 29:15) and
“guidance” (v.18) that will preserve their physical, emotional, and spiritual
Let’s remember the purpose and privilege we’ve been given to lead others,
as a parent or otherwise—to see them grow in Christlikeness. Leading requires
clear, not clouded, vision.
What are some of the insecurities you faced as a teenager? How
can you use the painful things you experienced to help you make wise
decisions about your children?
- Warm Welcome - How does warm hospitality reflect God’s loving heart?...read more
- In the Gap - What has God equipped you with to intercede for others?...read more
- Confession and Blessing - How does repentance reveal our faith and trust in Jesus?...read more
- Breaking the Mold - How are you sharing Jesus with the next generation?...read more
- Diseased Hearts - What are the implications of only God truly knowing the heart and being able to cure it?...read more
- To Make Them Better - To follow Jesus means we allow God to transform the whole of our life....read more
- Looking for Work? - Consider how God has uniquely equipped you....read more
- Out of the Blue - God intervened before we were aware of our need....read more
- Joy and Sadness - Is there sadness in your life you need to embrace?...read more
- Passion Unleashed - What gifts and talents has God given you?...read more
- Thankful for What? - How do your difficult times more clearly illustrate God’s power and redemption?...read more
- Where Desire Takes Us - What desires have you been wrestling with?...read more
- Nursing a Grudge - Why is it vital for you to bring your bitter feelings to God?...read more
- A New Person - What regret do you need to give to Jesus?...read more
- Wexting? - For what challenge do you need to seek God’s wisdom today?...read more
- A Better Question - What kinds of questions do you ask God most often?...read more