After 35What does it mean for you to rely on God in all things?
Top Music Videos
To discipline a child produces wisdom (v.15).
Seven years ago, she stayed after Bible study to
talk about her struggles as a mom. With a child
nearing preadolescence, she was torn between
making decisions that would make her daughter feel
different than her peers and wanting the young girl to “fit
in” to avoid the social ostracism of her own teen years.
Today her daughter “fits in” a little too well. Beautiful and
talented, she’s dating the “cool” guy who is charismatic and
popular. She’s got it all. Everything, that is, but her virginity.
Having ministered to youth for many years, my husband
and I have observed a lot about parenting from the
outside. Still in the trenches with our own two children,
we’re far from having all the answers. Sadly though,
we’ve had front row seats to a few situations where
parents have relinquished their responsibility to protect
their child in exchange for the vicarious affirmation they
receive through the teen’s acceptance by others.
Before we can make truly selfless decisions for our
children, we have to go head to head with our own
insecurities. If we see things through our own scars, we
may be tempted to overlook an issue that needs to be
addressed. For we’re caught up in the fact that our child
has gained something (or someone) we didn’t have.
In Proverbs 29, Solomon reminds us of the biblical
principle that godly shepherding isn’t always comfortable
and painless (John 10:12-15). It often requires that we
risk the ire of those we love by giving them the “wisdom” (Proverbs 29:15) and
“guidance” (v.18) that will preserve their physical, emotional, and spiritual
Let’s remember the purpose and privilege we’ve been given to lead others,
as a parent or otherwise—to see them grow in Christlikeness. Leading requires
clear, not clouded, vision.
What are some of the insecurities you faced as a teenager? How
can you use the painful things you experienced to help you make wise
decisions about your children?
- After 35 - What does it mean for you to rely on God in all things?...read more
- The Failure Wall - In what ways do you need to be prepared for encounters with spiritual enemies?...read more
- Worship 101 - What can you praise God for today?...read more
- Distance - What expectations do you have of fellow church members when it comes to meeting your needs?...read more
- Sarcasm and Sincerity - Do your words provide a safe environment for others?...read more
- Empty Spaces - What’s taking up space in your heart?...read more
- Showing the Way - How prepared are you to share your faith with others?...read more
- New Address? - Where’s the line between worrying and simply pondering a decision?...read more
- Real Stewardship - How are you using your gifts and talents to bring God to others?...read more
- Korah’s Redemption - How has God revealed His redeeming ways to you?...read more
- Stuff We Need - How can you give lavishly to God and others today?...read more
- Rising Above - What difficulties have caused you to experience distress recently?...read more
- God Our Restorer - Are you in need of God’s restorative power today?...read more
- You're Called - Are you dissatisfied with your present calling?...read more
- The Art of Joy - What has hindered you from experiencing joy this week?...read more
- What a Friend! - What does it mean to you to have a friend in Jesus?...read more