Staying TrueOur ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze.
Top Christian Music Videos
To discipline a child produces wisdom (v.15).
Seven years ago, she stayed after Bible study to
talk about her struggles as a mom. With a child
nearing preadolescence, she was torn between
making decisions that would make her daughter feel
different than her peers and wanting the young girl to “fit
in” to avoid the social ostracism of her own teen years.
Today her daughter “fits in” a little too well. Beautiful and
talented, she’s dating the “cool” guy who is charismatic and
popular. She’s got it all. Everything, that is, but her virginity.
Having ministered to youth for many years, my husband
and I have observed a lot about parenting from the
outside. Still in the trenches with our own two children,
we’re far from having all the answers. Sadly though,
we’ve had front row seats to a few situations where
parents have relinquished their responsibility to protect
their child in exchange for the vicarious affirmation they
receive through the teen’s acceptance by others.
Before we can make truly selfless decisions for our
children, we have to go head to head with our own
insecurities. If we see things through our own scars, we
may be tempted to overlook an issue that needs to be
addressed. For we’re caught up in the fact that our child
has gained something (or someone) we didn’t have.
In Proverbs 29, Solomon reminds us of the biblical
principle that godly shepherding isn’t always comfortable
and painless (John 10:12-15). It often requires that we
risk the ire of those we love by giving them the “wisdom” (Proverbs 29:15) and
“guidance” (v.18) that will preserve their physical, emotional, and spiritual
Let’s remember the purpose and privilege we’ve been given to lead others,
as a parent or otherwise—to see them grow in Christlikeness. Leading requires
clear, not clouded, vision.
What are some of the insecurities you faced as a teenager? How
can you use the painful things you experienced to help you make wise
decisions about your children?
- Staying True - Our ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze....read more
- Write Your Epitaph - How are you growing in your faith and the proclaiming of it?...read more
- What Happens in the End - Are you feeling hopeless and weary? Be reminded of what happens in the end!...read more
- Stop Painting Your Bucket - Who you are is who you are in Jesus....read more
- What We Have - When do you feel most grateful?...read more
- God's Perspective - What has God called you to do that might appear to be too challenging?...read more
- More than Walking on Water - Do you ever find yourself focusing more on what God can do than on who He is?...read more
- The Spirit’s Wind - In what areas of your life have you been laboring in your own strength instead of God’s power?...read more
- Laying Down Your Life - What does it mean for you to embrace Jesus as the One who laid down His life for you?...read more
- Hidden Costs - What are some ways you can avoid falling prey to Satan’s hidden costs this week?...read more
- Limits - How often are you weary or stressed from church work?...read more
- Healing Prayer - Why is it important for us to bring our pain and suffering to God?...read more
- Pleasing God in the Mundane - Do you sometimes feel drained by serving God and others?...read more
- Avoiding Mean Streets - In what ways have you been entering deeper into God’s wisdom or moving farther away from it?...read more
- The Presence of Jesus - What past or current sinful choice has caused you to experience shame?...read more
- When We See Jesus - Do you long to see Jesus?...read more