Out of LoveHow did God show love for us through His sacrifice?
Top Christian Music Videos
Jesus told His disciples a story to show that they should always pray and never give up (v.1).
It was Henry Wadsworth Longfellow who said, “Perseverance is a great element of success. If you knock long enough and loud enough at the gate, you are sure to wake up somebody.” I don’t know if Longfellow had the persistent widow in mind when he wrote those words, but I believe he’s right.
In Singapore, where I live, 85 percent of the population lives in close proximity in high-rise apartment flats. If you knock long enough and hard enough at the door, you’re sure to wake up everybody in the neighborhood!
In Jesus’ story, the persistent widow was dealing with a judge who could be bought. Unthinkable and unacceptable! We don’t like an unjust judge (Luke 18:6). We expect a judge to have integrity, regard for justice, and compassion for people (2 Chronicles 19:6). But this judge “neither feared God nor cared about people” (Luke 18:2).
Widows were the epitome of the destitute and desperate in ancient Jewish society. Though the widow had a valid claim (v.3), the judge refused to help her because she hadn’t offered him a bribe. Too poor to pay, her only recourse was her persistence—until she drove the judge “crazy”! (v.5). Jesus wants us to learn a good lesson from a bad example (v.6).
The parable consists of a “lesser to greater” argument (12:24,28). If a poor widow used an unjust and uncaring judge to get what she deserved, how much more will God’s child who goes to the throne of grace receive good gifts from a devoted heavenly Father who loves both justice and people! (Hebrews 4:16).
The question is not if God will answer prayer, for He most certainly will do so (Luke 18:8). The question is: Will we be faithful in prayer, even in the unfair circumstances and harsh realities of life? (v.8; Romans 12:12).
What does Jesus teach you about prayer in Luke 11:5?
What prayer of yours has remained unanswered for a long time? If God is eager to give us good gifts, why hasn’t God given you what you asked for?
- Out of Love - How did God show love for us through His sacrifice?...read more
- God's Masterpiece - What does it mean for God’s people to be a masterpiece?...read more
- Prayerful Retreat - How often do you have a “prayerful retreat” with God?...read more
- Laying Down Our Lives - What sometimes holds you back from laying down your life for others?...read more
- A Little Farther - Do you hear much about lament in your local church?...read more
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more
- Big and Small - What do you do with your worries?...read more
- A Way Out - Do you have a tendency to overestimate or underestimate?...read more