Choosing to ForgetWhat painful memory is holding you back from peace with God?
Top Christian Music Videos
Jesus told His disciples a story to show that they should always pray and never give up (v.1).
It was Henry Wadsworth Longfellow who said, “Perseverance is a great element of success. If you knock long enough and loud enough at the gate, you are sure to wake up somebody.” I don’t know if Longfellow had the persistent widow in mind when he wrote those words, but I believe he’s right.
In Singapore, where I live, 85 percent of the population lives in close proximity in high-rise apartment flats. If you knock long enough and hard enough at the door, you’re sure to wake up everybody in the neighborhood!
In Jesus’ story, the persistent widow was dealing with a judge who could be bought. Unthinkable and unacceptable! We don’t like an unjust judge (Luke 18:6). We expect a judge to have integrity, regard for justice, and compassion for people (2 Chronicles 19:6). But this judge “neither feared God nor cared about people” (Luke 18:2).
Widows were the epitome of the destitute and desperate in ancient Jewish society. Though the widow had a valid claim (v.3), the judge refused to help her because she hadn’t offered him a bribe. Too poor to pay, her only recourse was her persistence—until she drove the judge “crazy”! (v.5). Jesus wants us to learn a good lesson from a bad example (v.6).
The parable consists of a “lesser to greater” argument (12:24,28). If a poor widow used an unjust and uncaring judge to get what she deserved, how much more will God’s child who goes to the throne of grace receive good gifts from a devoted heavenly Father who loves both justice and people! (Hebrews 4:16).
The question is not if God will answer prayer, for He most certainly will do so (Luke 18:8). The question is: Will we be faithful in prayer, even in the unfair circumstances and harsh realities of life? (v.8; Romans 12:12).
What does Jesus teach you about prayer in Luke 11:5?
What prayer of yours has remained unanswered for a long time? If God is eager to give us good gifts, why hasn’t God given you what you asked for?
- Choosing to Forget - What painful memory is holding you back from peace with God?...read more
- Not about Fame - How has Jesus changed your life?...read more
- Faithful and True - What experiences have shaped your understanding of what it means to be faithful?...read more
- Living Houses of Prayer - What does it mean for you to be a living house of prayer?...read more
- Test of Courage - Read Proverbs 21:30-31 to see how true success depends on God....read more
- Calling on the Air - In what ways have you called on God for direction ?...read more
- Only the Beginning - What hope has God brought you today?...read more
- Disciplined for Freedom - Praise God and display your gratitude to Him today!...read more
- What Will We Become? - What does it mean for you to be God’s masterpiece?...read more
- Taking the Hate - Which portions of the Bible trouble you the most?...read more
- Not a Distant God - Read Romans 8:31-39 to be reminded of the intimate love God has for us....read more
- A Greater Power - Read Jeremiah 31:20-25 and consider the power of God’s restoration...read more
- Anger Management - Read Matthew 5:21-22 to see what Jesus said about anger and sin....read more
- Moving Past Memories - How can experiencing God’s forgiveness for our sin help us to extend grace to others?...read more
- There is Hope - What has caused you to lose hope recently?...read more
- Transformed! - How has God’s power helped you overcome fear?...read more