Top Music Videos
Tears in a Bottle
I have been praying out of great anguish and sorrow (v.16).
Lisa Linehan is on her way to the altar. She’s booked a wedding location, purchased a dress, and has even set the date. Unfortunately, she doesn’t have a groom, even though she has “been out with 70 different guys” to find one. Here’s a peek into her thinking: “I get so excited thinking about this wedding. And I still hold on to the hope that my soul mate is out there somewhere. He has to be, right? I want to find him. I want to love and be loved . . . even more than I already do and am. I want a family of my own.”
Lisa’s blog entry reveals her deep longing for a husband, and it reminds me of another woman who desperately wanted the security of additional family ties. Praying at the temple, Hannah tried to cut a deal with God. She said, “If you will look upon my sorrow and answer my prayer and give me a son, then I will give him back to you” (1 Samuel 1:11). Making promises to God is one sign that our desires are desperate.
Another indicator that we’re in deep is when our emotions are involved. Eli the priest noticed Hannah’s feverish prayers—her lips were moving, but she wasn’t making a sound. He thought she had been tipping the bottle, but she said, “Don’t think I am a wicked woman. For I have been praying out of great anguish and sorrow” (vv.16-17).
Many of us know the heartache that comes from unfulfilled longings (Proverbs 13:12). But in the valley of that pain, we don’t have to submit to despair. The faithful love of the Lord never ends (Lamentations 3:22). And the same God who collects our tears in a bottle (Psalms 56:8) also causes everything to work together for the good of people who love Him (Romans 8:28).
—Jennifer Benson Schuldt
How might deep desires for things that might not be in God’s plans affect our relationship with Him? What unfulfilled longings do you need to discuss with Jesus?
- Red Houses - What has God given you—time, finances, ability—that you can use to help someone in need today?...read more
- Tongues Afire - When have you recently endured the wound of another person’s words?...read more
- True Fellowship - What comes to your mind when you hear the word fellowship?...read more
- After 35 - What does it mean for you to rely on God in all things?...read more
- The Failure Wall - In what ways do you need to be prepared for encounters with spiritual enemies?...read more
- Worship 101 - What can you praise God for today?...read more
- Distance - What expectations do you have of fellow church members when it comes to meeting your needs?...read more
- Sarcasm and Sincerity - Do your words provide a safe environment for others?...read more
- Empty Spaces - What’s taking up space in your heart?...read more
- Showing the Way - How prepared are you to share your faith with others?...read more
- New Address? - Where’s the line between worrying and simply pondering a decision?...read more
- Real Stewardship - How are you using your gifts and talents to bring God to others?...read more
- Korah’s Redemption - How has God revealed His redeeming ways to you?...read more
- Stuff We Need - How can you give lavishly to God and others today?...read more
- Rising Above - What difficulties have caused you to experience distress recently?...read more
- God Our Restorer - Are you in need of God’s restorative power today?...read more