Rejoicing in Deep NeedWhat happens when you choose to rejoice in God even when you’re in deep need?
Top Christian Music Videos
Tears in a Bottle
I have been praying out of great anguish and sorrow (v.16).
Lisa Linehan is on her way to the altar. She’s booked a wedding location, purchased a dress, and has even set the date. Unfortunately, she doesn’t have a groom, even though she has “been out with 70 different guys” to find one. Here’s a peek into her thinking: “I get so excited thinking about this wedding. And I still hold on to the hope that my soul mate is out there somewhere. He has to be, right? I want to find him. I want to love and be loved . . . even more than I already do and am. I want a family of my own.”
Lisa’s blog entry reveals her deep longing for a husband, and it reminds me of another woman who desperately wanted the security of additional family ties. Praying at the temple, Hannah tried to cut a deal with God. She said, “If you will look upon my sorrow and answer my prayer and give me a son, then I will give him back to you” (1 Samuel 1:11). Making promises to God is one sign that our desires are desperate.
Another indicator that we’re in deep is when our emotions are involved. Eli the priest noticed Hannah’s feverish prayers—her lips were moving, but she wasn’t making a sound. He thought she had been tipping the bottle, but she said, “Don’t think I am a wicked woman. For I have been praying out of great anguish and sorrow” (vv.16-17).
Many of us know the heartache that comes from unfulfilled longings (Proverbs 13:12). But in the valley of that pain, we don’t have to submit to despair. The faithful love of the Lord never ends (Lamentations 3:22). And the same God who collects our tears in a bottle (Psalms 56:8) also causes everything to work together for the good of people who love Him (Romans 8:28).
—Jennifer Benson Schuldt
How might deep desires for things that might not be in God’s plans affect our relationship with Him? What unfulfilled longings do you need to discuss with Jesus?
- Rejoicing in Deep Need - What happens when you choose to rejoice in God even when you’re in deep need?...read more
- Staying True - Our ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze....read more
- Write Your Epitaph - How are you growing in your faith and the proclaiming of it?...read more
- What Happens in the End - Are you feeling hopeless and weary? Be reminded of what happens in the end!...read more
- Stop Painting Your Bucket - Who you are is who you are in Jesus....read more
- What We Have - When do you feel most grateful?...read more
- God's Perspective - What has God called you to do that might appear to be too challenging?...read more
- More than Walking on Water - Do you ever find yourself focusing more on what God can do than on who He is?...read more
- The Spirit’s Wind - In what areas of your life have you been laboring in your own strength instead of God’s power?...read more
- Laying Down Your Life - What does it mean for you to embrace Jesus as the One who laid down His life for you?...read more
- Hidden Costs - What are some ways you can avoid falling prey to Satan’s hidden costs this week?...read more
- Limits - How often are you weary or stressed from church work?...read more
- Healing Prayer - Why is it important for us to bring our pain and suffering to God?...read more
- Pleasing God in the Mundane - Do you sometimes feel drained by serving God and others?...read more
- Avoiding Mean Streets - In what ways have you been entering deeper into God’s wisdom or moving farther away from it?...read more
- The Presence of Jesus - What past or current sinful choice has caused you to experience shame?...read more