Stinging WordsHow have you experienced emotional or spiritual captivity?
Top Music Videos
Tears in a Bottle
I have been praying out of great anguish and sorrow (v.16).
Lisa Linehan is on her way to the altar. She’s booked a wedding location, purchased a dress, and has even set the date. Unfortunately, she doesn’t have a groom, even though she has “been out with 70 different guys” to find one. Here’s a peek into her thinking: “I get so excited thinking about this wedding. And I still hold on to the hope that my soul mate is out there somewhere. He has to be, right? I want to find him. I want to love and be loved . . . even more than I already do and am. I want a family of my own.”
Lisa’s blog entry reveals her deep longing for a husband, and it reminds me of another woman who desperately wanted the security of additional family ties. Praying at the temple, Hannah tried to cut a deal with God. She said, “If you will look upon my sorrow and answer my prayer and give me a son, then I will give him back to you” (1 Samuel 1:11). Making promises to God is one sign that our desires are desperate.
Another indicator that we’re in deep is when our emotions are involved. Eli the priest noticed Hannah’s feverish prayers—her lips were moving, but she wasn’t making a sound. He thought she had been tipping the bottle, but she said, “Don’t think I am a wicked woman. For I have been praying out of great anguish and sorrow” (vv.16-17).
Many of us know the heartache that comes from unfulfilled longings (Proverbs 13:12). But in the valley of that pain, we don’t have to submit to despair. The faithful love of the Lord never ends (Lamentations 3:22). And the same God who collects our tears in a bottle (Psalms 56:8) also causes everything to work together for the good of people who love Him (Romans 8:28).
—Jennifer Benson Schuldt
How might deep desires for things that might not be in God’s plans affect our relationship with Him? What unfulfilled longings do you need to discuss with Jesus?
- Stinging Words - How have you experienced emotional or spiritual captivity?...read more
- Everyone Has a Story - Who needs you to listen to them? Make time for them today....read more
- Gateway of Hope - How has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?...read more
- Philip Flunked - What specific truth about God could help you with a problem you’re currently facing?...read more
- Source of All Life - Every blessing comes from God....read more
- Trapped in Sin - How can you be set free and made right with God?...read more
- Hope Beyond Discouragement - How will you point others to the Source of Hope today?...read more
- Play Your Part - How can you encourage others to fulfill their calling?...read more
- Broken Community - How do we live out holiness without becoming judgmental of others?...read more
- Giving Out Love - How has God provided for you and those you love?...read more
- Assets that Matter - How can you submit more fully to the Holy Spirit’s refining work in your life?...read more
- The Skeptic - What doubt about God is most persistent in your thoughts?...read more
- Is God Necessary? - God is hidden but present, revealing Himself more fully to those who invite Him to stay....read more
- God's Promises - How has God kept His promises to you?...read more
- Greater Meaning - How is Jesus rescuing, transforming, and giving your life greater meaning?...read more
- Time for Tea! - What situations frustrate you?...read more