Cleansing and CallingWhat does it mean to follow God’s calling in your life?
Top Christian Music Videos
As Jesus said “I Am He,” they all drew back and fell to the ground! (v.6).
"Operation Kiss” had commenced—the green
light given at the highest level. The target was
seen crossing the valley and entering the
olive orchard. This intel was from a mole within the
inner circle, a man who now personally led the task
force (John 18:1). Perceiving them to be armed and
dangerous, Pilate had ordered “a contingent of Roman
soldiers” (v.3)—up to 600 well-trained and equipped
men—to neutralize the threat. The Jewish authorities also
sent in their crack temple guards. This huge arresting
party came armed with “torches, lanterns, and weapons”
(v.3). There was no way the target could escape.
But Jesus was not planning an escape, nor resisting
capture (vv.10-11). Instead, He willingly offered Himself
up (vv.8,11). Stepping forward to identify Himself to
His captors, Jesus facilitated and ensured His own
arrest. He asked, “Who are you looking for?” “Jesus the
Nazarene,” they replied (vv.4-5).
Almost immediately, Jesus affirmed, “I Am He” (v.5). In
the Greek, the He is not in the original but was added by
the translators. Jesus simply said, “I Am,” twice (vv.5,8).
“I Am” is the language of divinity. It’s the covenantal
name of God Himself: “I Am Who I Am” (Exodus 3:14).
In an earlier brush with the Pharisees, Jesus boldly told
them that He was the “I Am!” (John 8:58).
At the very instant Jesus declared His identity, everyone in
the arresting party “drew back and fell to the ground” (v.6).
Even the mighty Roman soldiers, trained not to submit, bowed before Him.
Jesus was no helpless victim. On the contrary, Jesus sovereignly handed
Himself over to His captors in order to “drink from the cup of suffering the
Father [had] given [Him]” (v.11). He drank the cup that should have been our
What did Paul say about Jesus’ humiliation and exaltation in
What does it mean to you to know that Jesus is the great “I Am”? How does
it inspire you to read how Jesus faced His pain and persecution?
- Cleansing and Calling - What does it mean to follow God’s calling in your life?...read more
- Finding Refuge - What does it mean for God to be your true refuge?...read more
- Why Pray? - What do you need to ask God for today?...read more
- Love and Adoption - What does it mean to you to be adopted by your heavenly Father?...read more
- Worship and Service - Why is it so vital for you to worship God with all you are?...read more
- Holy Desperation - Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus?...read more
- Insisting on Joy - What would it look like for you to insist on joy this week?...read more
- Hot Water - Where in your spiritual life have you become complacent?...read more
- Remade - Do any areas of your life need to be remade?...read more
- God’s Renewing Presence - What can you do to experience God’s renewing presence today?...read more
- Enduring Hope - Have you lost hope and become disillusioned with life?...read more
- Grasping Grace - What does God’s grace mean to you?...read more
- Clear View - How can you seek God’s wisdom and direction today?...read more
- Led by the Spirit - How do you distinguish between the leading of the Spirit and the whims and desires of your own heart?...read more
- No Longer Lost - Where have you seen God’s love and mercy in your life?...read more
- Grace that Motivates - How can we avoid the temptation to try and earn God’s approval by doing good deeds?...read more