Prayerful RetreatHow often do you have a “prayerful retreat” with God?
Top Christian Music Videos
As Jesus said “I Am He,” they all drew back and fell to the ground! (v.6).
"Operation Kiss” had commenced—the green
light given at the highest level. The target was
seen crossing the valley and entering the
olive orchard. This intel was from a mole within the
inner circle, a man who now personally led the task
force (John 18:1). Perceiving them to be armed and
dangerous, Pilate had ordered “a contingent of Roman
soldiers” (v.3)—up to 600 well-trained and equipped
men—to neutralize the threat. The Jewish authorities also
sent in their crack temple guards. This huge arresting
party came armed with “torches, lanterns, and weapons”
(v.3). There was no way the target could escape.
But Jesus was not planning an escape, nor resisting
capture (vv.10-11). Instead, He willingly offered Himself
up (vv.8,11). Stepping forward to identify Himself to
His captors, Jesus facilitated and ensured His own
arrest. He asked, “Who are you looking for?” “Jesus the
Nazarene,” they replied (vv.4-5).
Almost immediately, Jesus affirmed, “I Am He” (v.5). In
the Greek, the He is not in the original but was added by
the translators. Jesus simply said, “I Am,” twice (vv.5,8).
“I Am” is the language of divinity. It’s the covenantal
name of God Himself: “I Am Who I Am” (Exodus 3:14).
In an earlier brush with the Pharisees, Jesus boldly told
them that He was the “I Am!” (John 8:58).
At the very instant Jesus declared His identity, everyone in
the arresting party “drew back and fell to the ground” (v.6).
Even the mighty Roman soldiers, trained not to submit, bowed before Him.
Jesus was no helpless victim. On the contrary, Jesus sovereignly handed
Himself over to His captors in order to “drink from the cup of suffering the
Father [had] given [Him]” (v.11). He drank the cup that should have been our
What did Paul say about Jesus’ humiliation and exaltation in
What does it mean to you to know that Jesus is the great “I Am”? How does
it inspire you to read how Jesus faced His pain and persecution?
- Prayerful Retreat - How often do you have a “prayerful retreat” with God?...read more
- Laying Down Our Lives - What sometimes holds you back from laying down your life for others?...read more
- A Little Farther - Do you hear much about lament in your local church?...read more
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more
- Big and Small - What do you do with your worries?...read more
- A Way Out - Do you have a tendency to overestimate or underestimate?...read more
- Extravagant Love - When have you encountered God’s extravagant love?...read more
- Income vs. Investment - How will you be “rich in good works” today?...read more