Powerful PatienceHow can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?
Top Music Videos
As Jesus said “I Am He,” they all drew back and fell to the ground! (v.6).
"Operation Kiss” had commenced—the green
light given at the highest level. The target was
seen crossing the valley and entering the
olive orchard. This intel was from a mole within the
inner circle, a man who now personally led the task
force (John 18:1). Perceiving them to be armed and
dangerous, Pilate had ordered “a contingent of Roman
soldiers” (v.3)—up to 600 well-trained and equipped
men—to neutralize the threat. The Jewish authorities also
sent in their crack temple guards. This huge arresting
party came armed with “torches, lanterns, and weapons”
(v.3). There was no way the target could escape.
But Jesus was not planning an escape, nor resisting
capture (vv.10-11). Instead, He willingly offered Himself
up (vv.8,11). Stepping forward to identify Himself to
His captors, Jesus facilitated and ensured His own
arrest. He asked, “Who are you looking for?” “Jesus the
Nazarene,” they replied (vv.4-5).
Almost immediately, Jesus affirmed, “I Am He” (v.5). In
the Greek, the He is not in the original but was added by
the translators. Jesus simply said, “I Am,” twice (vv.5,8).
“I Am” is the language of divinity. It’s the covenantal
name of God Himself: “I Am Who I Am” (Exodus 3:14).
In an earlier brush with the Pharisees, Jesus boldly told
them that He was the “I Am!” (John 8:58).
At the very instant Jesus declared His identity, everyone in
the arresting party “drew back and fell to the ground” (v.6).
Even the mighty Roman soldiers, trained not to submit, bowed before Him.
Jesus was no helpless victim. On the contrary, Jesus sovereignly handed
Himself over to His captors in order to “drink from the cup of suffering the
Father [had] given [Him]” (v.11). He drank the cup that should have been our
What did Paul say about Jesus’ humiliation and exaltation in
What does it mean to you to know that Jesus is the great “I Am”? How does
it inspire you to read how Jesus faced His pain and persecution?
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more
- Awe - Where and when do you find yourself most in awe of God?...read more
- Purpose - How does the apostle Paul’s life demonstrate God’s “purpose” to you?...read more
- Broken Down & Built Up - What might God be accomplishing in your life through a recent difficult experience?...read more