Rich in Good WorksHow can you encourage other believers in Jesus to “be rich in good works”?
Top Music Videos
The first Easter morning didn't start out well for the disciples. The one thing they knew for sure, when they woke up that day, was that Jesus was dead. The precious Master and Friend they had followed for three years, hanging on His every word, was gone, having been brutally executed on a Roman cross. His death must have been a crushing blow. Imagine their emotions. Disbelief. Disillusionment. Despair.
Until that morning, the disciples had operated from the understanding that normally death was final. That's the way the program worked. It wasn't until the disciples saw the empty tomb that they finally "believed" and understood "the Scriptures that said Jesus must rise from the dead" (John 20:9).
Suddenly, Old Testament passages such as Psalm 16:10, which predicted Christ's death and resurrection, made sense. Weeks after Resurrection Sunday, on the day known as Pentecost, Peter quoted that very passage to a crowd in Jerusalem as he testified to the dramatic turn of events surrounding Jesus (Acts 2:22-32).
Speaking of His own impending death, Jesus said, "I tell you the truth, unless a kernel of wheat is planted in the soil and dies, it remains alone. But its death will produce many new kernels" (John 12:24). In other words, death is the way to life.
Yes, it's a paradox that death can be an unlikely route to life and joy. Only Jesus could lay down His life "as a ransom for many" (Matthew 20:28). Our path to experiencing His life involves daily crucifying anything that would lead away from Him.
Lord, help us to see what needs to die in us so that Your life can be our all. , Jeff Olson, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Rich in Good Works - How can you encourage other believers in Jesus to “be rich in good works”?...read more
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more