Kindness and HospitalityHow are you using your God-given gifts to love and serve others?
Top Christian Music Videos
You must be holy because I, the Lord your God, am holy (v.2).
Holiness is perhaps one of the most misunderstood
terms of our time. A study by The Barna
Group reveals that though the Bible talks a lot
about holiness, most people are confused and even
apprehensive about what it means.
Pastor Ray Stedman observed, “Most of us associate
[holiness] with some kind of grimness or solemnity. We
think holy people are those who look as if they have
been steeped in vinegar or soaked in embalming fluid.”
No wonder few Christians aspire to be holy.
In Leviticus 19:1, we see that holiness involves more than
special ceremonies and special holy days and going to a
sacred place, the tabernacle, where rites were performed
by a special priestly class. We see a very practical,
everyday kind of holiness—honoring parents and
displaying honesty, kindness, compassion, and justice. In
essence, holiness is practiced by loving one’s neighbor
as one’s self (v.18).
In fact, we find that holiness isn’t relevant for full-time
ministers only—it’s for laypeople like you and me as well.
For we read, “You must be holy because I, the Lord your
God, am holy” (v.2). In the ultimate sense, living a holy
life is the imitation of God who alone is holy. So God’s
holiness and His gracious redemption provide both the
reason and the motivation for His people’s own holiness
Stedman writes, ”The book of Leviticus details the way by which man is
made holy enough to live in the Divine Presence and to enjoy a relationship
so close that God will delight to say, ‘You are mine.’ Don’t be turned off by the
word ‘holy’ in this passage . . . True holiness is therefore something splendidly
—Poh Fang Chia
Read 1 Peter 1:13 to understand that under the new covenant, God’s
demands for His people remain unchanged. Holiness is a requirement
for His redeemed people.
- Kindness and Hospitality - How are you using your God-given gifts to love and serve others?...read more
- Rejoicing in Deep Need - What happens when you choose to rejoice in God even when you’re in deep need?...read more
- Staying True - Our ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze....read more
- Write Your Epitaph - How are you growing in your faith and the proclaiming of it?...read more
- What Happens in the End - Are you feeling hopeless and weary? Be reminded of what happens in the end!...read more
- Stop Painting Your Bucket - Who you are is who you are in Jesus....read more
- What We Have - When do you feel most grateful?...read more
- God's Perspective - What has God called you to do that might appear to be too challenging?...read more
- More than Walking on Water - Do you ever find yourself focusing more on what God can do than on who He is?...read more
- The Spirit’s Wind - In what areas of your life have you been laboring in your own strength instead of God’s power?...read more
- Laying Down Your Life - What does it mean for you to embrace Jesus as the One who laid down His life for you?...read more
- Hidden Costs - What are some ways you can avoid falling prey to Satan’s hidden costs this week?...read more
- Limits - How often are you weary or stressed from church work?...read more
- Healing Prayer - Why is it important for us to bring our pain and suffering to God?...read more
- Pleasing God in the Mundane - Do you sometimes feel drained by serving God and others?...read more
- Avoiding Mean Streets - In what ways have you been entering deeper into God’s wisdom or moving farther away from it?...read more