The First Day—AgainHow does Jesus’ resurrection infuse you with fresh hope?
Top Music Videos
You must be holy because I, the Lord your God, am holy (v.2).
Holiness is perhaps one of the most misunderstood
terms of our time. A study by The Barna
Group reveals that though the Bible talks a lot
about holiness, most people are confused and even
apprehensive about what it means.
Pastor Ray Stedman observed, “Most of us associate
[holiness] with some kind of grimness or solemnity. We
think holy people are those who look as if they have
been steeped in vinegar or soaked in embalming fluid.”
No wonder few Christians aspire to be holy.
In Leviticus 19:1, we see that holiness involves more than
special ceremonies and special holy days and going to a
sacred place, the tabernacle, where rites were performed
by a special priestly class. We see a very practical,
everyday kind of holiness—honoring parents and
displaying honesty, kindness, compassion, and justice. In
essence, holiness is practiced by loving one’s neighbor
as one’s self (v.18).
In fact, we find that holiness isn’t relevant for full-time
ministers only—it’s for laypeople like you and me as well.
For we read, “You must be holy because I, the Lord your
God, am holy” (v.2). In the ultimate sense, living a holy
life is the imitation of God who alone is holy. So God’s
holiness and His gracious redemption provide both the
reason and the motivation for His people’s own holiness
Stedman writes, ”The book of Leviticus details the way by which man is
made holy enough to live in the Divine Presence and to enjoy a relationship
so close that God will delight to say, ‘You are mine.’ Don’t be turned off by the
word ‘holy’ in this passage . . . True holiness is therefore something splendidly
—Poh Fang Chia
Read 1 Peter 1:13 to understand that under the new covenant, God’s
demands for His people remain unchanged. Holiness is a requirement
for His redeemed people.
- The First Day—Again - How does Jesus’ resurrection infuse you with fresh hope?...read more
- Clueless at the Light - What would others say about my influence on them?...read more
- Stinging Words - How have you experienced emotional or spiritual captivity?...read more
- Everyone Has a Story - Who needs you to listen to them? Make time for them today....read more
- Gateway of Hope - How has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?...read more
- Philip Flunked - What specific truth about God could help you with a problem you’re currently facing?...read more
- Source of All Life - Every blessing comes from God....read more
- Trapped in Sin - How can you be set free and made right with God?...read more
- Hope Beyond Discouragement - How will you point others to the Source of Hope today?...read more
- Play Your Part - How can you encourage others to fulfill their calling?...read more
- Broken Community - How do we live out holiness without becoming judgmental of others?...read more
- Giving Out Love - How has God provided for you and those you love?...read more
- Assets that Matter - How can you submit more fully to the Holy Spirit’s refining work in your life?...read more
- The Skeptic - What doubt about God is most persistent in your thoughts?...read more
- Is God Necessary? - God is hidden but present, revealing Himself more fully to those who invite Him to stay....read more
- God's Promises - How has God kept His promises to you?...read more