Dirty LaundryWhen you need to confront someone, how do you react?
Top Christian Music Videos
You must be holy because I, the Lord your God, am holy (v.2).
Holiness is perhaps one of the most misunderstood
terms of our time. A study by The Barna
Group reveals that though the Bible talks a lot
about holiness, most people are confused and even
apprehensive about what it means.
Pastor Ray Stedman observed, “Most of us associate
[holiness] with some kind of grimness or solemnity. We
think holy people are those who look as if they have
been steeped in vinegar or soaked in embalming fluid.”
No wonder few Christians aspire to be holy.
In Leviticus 19:1, we see that holiness involves more than
special ceremonies and special holy days and going to a
sacred place, the tabernacle, where rites were performed
by a special priestly class. We see a very practical,
everyday kind of holiness—honoring parents and
displaying honesty, kindness, compassion, and justice. In
essence, holiness is practiced by loving one’s neighbor
as one’s self (v.18).
In fact, we find that holiness isn’t relevant for full-time
ministers only—it’s for laypeople like you and me as well.
For we read, “You must be holy because I, the Lord your
God, am holy” (v.2). In the ultimate sense, living a holy
life is the imitation of God who alone is holy. So God’s
holiness and His gracious redemption provide both the
reason and the motivation for His people’s own holiness
Stedman writes, ”The book of Leviticus details the way by which man is
made holy enough to live in the Divine Presence and to enjoy a relationship
so close that God will delight to say, ‘You are mine.’ Don’t be turned off by the
word ‘holy’ in this passage . . . True holiness is therefore something splendidly
—Poh Fang Chia
Read 1 Peter 1:13 to understand that under the new covenant, God’s
demands for His people remain unchanged. Holiness is a requirement
for His redeemed people.
- Dirty Laundry - When you need to confront someone, how do you react?...read more
- Tender Hearts - How can we avoid being spiritually stubborn and unresponsive to God?...read more
- The Ultimate Source - God’s goodness and faithfulness can lead us to respond in varying ways....read more
- Love in Action - How can you show Christ’s love to someone in need with both your words and your actions?...read more
- Generous Hearts - Have you ever been the recipient of someone else’s generosity?...read more
- Persecuted but Growing - Have you ever seen God use something negative or discouraging to accomplish something amazing?...read more
- Autumn Moments - What season of life are you in right now?...read more
- Where Love Flourishes - How does the love of a man and woman united in Christ reflect the love God has for us?...read more
- You're Needed - How are you serving the body of Christ?...read more
- Not Coming Back - How does Jesus’ sacrificial example inspire you today?...read more
- Everything Matters - In God’s vision for the world, everything matters....read more
- Valid! - Our value comes from God in whose image we all have been created....read more
- Cupcake Face - Do you have a sin in your life you’ve been trying to hide from God?...read more
- Four Views - Have you ever wished that the Bible was written differently or in a way that was easier for you to understand?...read more
- Perfect Peace - Are you living out God’s “perfect peace”?...read more
- Cherished Possessions - Do you share the same love, empathy, and care for sinners?...read more