The Ultimate SourceGod’s goodness and faithfulness can lead us to respond in varying ways.
Top Christian Music Videos
Called to Kindness
Julius was very kind to
The baby threw up her breakfast—all over the
kitchen. She was crying and both of us were
covered in pureed pears. Then, a telemarketer
called, followed by a prerecorded political message.
When the phone rang a third time and it was the
handyman announcing his imminent arrival, I yelled:
“Will you have to come inside to fix the vent?” As I hung
up the phone, I felt terrible for being so unkind.
As Christians, we’re called to be kind (Ephesians 4:32).
It may sound basic, but in a society that worships sarcastic
comebacks and “me-first” attitudes, kindness is a lost art.
Julius, a high-ranking Roman official, was kind to his
prisoner Paul. On their maritime voyage to Rome, Julius
let Paul “go ashore to visit with friends so they could
provide for his needs” (Acts 27:3). Julius was lenient
when he could have been strict; permissive instead of
controlling—all to ensure Paul’s comfort. Kindness lends
a helping hand.
Kindness also protects the lives of defenseless people.
At one point in Paul’s journey, powerful waves began
to shred the boat into toothpicks. The guards decided
to kill the prisoners rather than let them escape into the
water. “But [Julius] wanted to spare Paul” (v.43), so he
put a stop to their evil plot. Amazingly, everyone made
it safely to Malta. The islanders were very kind there; in
the cold and rain, they kindled a welcoming fire (28:2).
Like the people of Malta, kindness may require us to show hospitality and greet
newcomers with open arms.
Maybe kindness is calling you to feed the hungry or to protect the defenseless.
Whatever you do, remember that each selfless act reflects God’s kind heart
toward us: “[God] is so rich in kindness and grace that He purchased our
freedom with the blood of His Son” (Ephesians 1:7). —Jennifer Benson Schuldt
Read Matthew 25:35-40
to see why kindness
matters to Jesus.
In what ways has God
showered His kindness
on you? What can you
do to show kindness to
someone this week?
Jeremy Camp - The Way (Slideshow with lyrics)
- The Ultimate Source - God’s goodness and faithfulness can lead us to respond in varying ways....read more
- Love in Action - How can you show Christ’s love to someone in need with both your words and your actions?...read more
- Generous Hearts - Have you ever been the recipient of someone else’s generosity?...read more
- Persecuted but Growing - Have you ever seen God use something negative or discouraging to accomplish something amazing?...read more
- Autumn Moments - What season of life are you in right now?...read more
- Where Love Flourishes - How does the love of a man and woman united in Christ reflect the love God has for us?...read more
- You're Needed - How are you serving the body of Christ?...read more
- Not Coming Back - How does Jesus’ sacrificial example inspire you today?...read more
- Everything Matters - In God’s vision for the world, everything matters....read more
- Valid! - Our value comes from God in whose image we all have been created....read more
- Cupcake Face - Do you have a sin in your life you’ve been trying to hide from God?...read more
- Four Views - Have you ever wished that the Bible was written differently or in a way that was easier for you to understand?...read more
- Perfect Peace - Are you living out God’s “perfect peace”?...read more
- Cherished Possessions - Do you share the same love, empathy, and care for sinners?...read more
- Is This Heaven? - What do you think about heaven and earth?...read more
- Another View - How can the suffering of another person be used by God to help others grow in Him?...read more