Tongues AfireWhen have you recently endured the wound of another person’s words?
Top Music Videos
Called to Kindness
Julius was very kind to
The baby threw up her breakfast—all over the
kitchen. She was crying and both of us were
covered in pureed pears. Then, a telemarketer
called, followed by a prerecorded political message.
When the phone rang a third time and it was the
handyman announcing his imminent arrival, I yelled:
“Will you have to come inside to fix the vent?” As I hung
up the phone, I felt terrible for being so unkind.
As Christians, we’re called to be kind (Ephesians 4:32).
It may sound basic, but in a society that worships sarcastic
comebacks and “me-first” attitudes, kindness is a lost art.
Julius, a high-ranking Roman official, was kind to his
prisoner Paul. On their maritime voyage to Rome, Julius
let Paul “go ashore to visit with friends so they could
provide for his needs” (Acts 27:3). Julius was lenient
when he could have been strict; permissive instead of
controlling—all to ensure Paul’s comfort. Kindness lends
a helping hand.
Kindness also protects the lives of defenseless people.
At one point in Paul’s journey, powerful waves began
to shred the boat into toothpicks. The guards decided
to kill the prisoners rather than let them escape into the
water. “But [Julius] wanted to spare Paul” (v.43), so he
put a stop to their evil plot. Amazingly, everyone made
it safely to Malta. The islanders were very kind there; in
the cold and rain, they kindled a welcoming fire (28:2).
Like the people of Malta, kindness may require us to show hospitality and greet
newcomers with open arms.
Maybe kindness is calling you to feed the hungry or to protect the defenseless.
Whatever you do, remember that each selfless act reflects God’s kind heart
toward us: “[God] is so rich in kindness and grace that He purchased our
freedom with the blood of His Son” (Ephesians 1:7). —Jennifer Benson Schuldt
Read Matthew 25:35-40
to see why kindness
matters to Jesus.
In what ways has God
showered His kindness
on you? What can you
do to show kindness to
someone this week?
Jeremy Camp - The Way (Slideshow with lyrics)
- Tongues Afire - When have you recently endured the wound of another person’s words?...read more
- True Fellowship - What comes to your mind when you hear the word fellowship?...read more
- After 35 - What does it mean for you to rely on God in all things?...read more
- The Failure Wall - In what ways do you need to be prepared for encounters with spiritual enemies?...read more
- Worship 101 - What can you praise God for today?...read more
- Distance - What expectations do you have of fellow church members when it comes to meeting your needs?...read more
- Sarcasm and Sincerity - Do your words provide a safe environment for others?...read more
- Empty Spaces - What’s taking up space in your heart?...read more
- Showing the Way - How prepared are you to share your faith with others?...read more
- New Address? - Where’s the line between worrying and simply pondering a decision?...read more
- Real Stewardship - How are you using your gifts and talents to bring God to others?...read more
- Korah’s Redemption - How has God revealed His redeeming ways to you?...read more
- Stuff We Need - How can you give lavishly to God and others today?...read more
- Rising Above - What difficulties have caused you to experience distress recently?...read more
- God Our Restorer - Are you in need of God’s restorative power today?...read more
- You're Called - Are you dissatisfied with your present calling?...read more