Sound SensitiveJust as with Samuel, may we know the presence of God throughout the day.
Top Music Videos
Called to Kindness
Julius was very kind to
The baby threw up her breakfast—all over the
kitchen. She was crying and both of us were
covered in pureed pears. Then, a telemarketer
called, followed by a prerecorded political message.
When the phone rang a third time and it was the
handyman announcing his imminent arrival, I yelled:
“Will you have to come inside to fix the vent?” As I hung
up the phone, I felt terrible for being so unkind.
As Christians, we’re called to be kind (Ephesians 4:32).
It may sound basic, but in a society that worships sarcastic
comebacks and “me-first” attitudes, kindness is a lost art.
Julius, a high-ranking Roman official, was kind to his
prisoner Paul. On their maritime voyage to Rome, Julius
let Paul “go ashore to visit with friends so they could
provide for his needs” (Acts 27:3). Julius was lenient
when he could have been strict; permissive instead of
controlling—all to ensure Paul’s comfort. Kindness lends
a helping hand.
Kindness also protects the lives of defenseless people.
At one point in Paul’s journey, powerful waves began
to shred the boat into toothpicks. The guards decided
to kill the prisoners rather than let them escape into the
water. “But [Julius] wanted to spare Paul” (v.43), so he
put a stop to their evil plot. Amazingly, everyone made
it safely to Malta. The islanders were very kind there; in
the cold and rain, they kindled a welcoming fire (28:2).
Like the people of Malta, kindness may require us to show hospitality and greet
newcomers with open arms.
Maybe kindness is calling you to feed the hungry or to protect the defenseless.
Whatever you do, remember that each selfless act reflects God’s kind heart
toward us: “[God] is so rich in kindness and grace that He purchased our
freedom with the blood of His Son” (Ephesians 1:7). —Jennifer Benson Schuldt
Read Matthew 25:35-40
to see why kindness
matters to Jesus.
In what ways has God
showered His kindness
on you? What can you
do to show kindness to
someone this week?
Jeremy Camp - The Way (Slideshow with lyrics)
- Sound Sensitive - Just as with Samuel, may we know the presence of God throughout the day....read more
- Rich in Good Works - How can you encourage other believers in Jesus to “be rich in good works”?...read more
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more