Raise the Temperature
Top Music Videos
Called to Kindness
Julius was very kind to
The baby threw up her breakfast—all over the
kitchen. She was crying and both of us were
covered in pureed pears. Then, a telemarketer
called, followed by a prerecorded political message.
When the phone rang a third time and it was the
handyman announcing his imminent arrival, I yelled:
“Will you have to come inside to fix the vent?” As I hung
up the phone, I felt terrible for being so unkind.
As Christians, we’re called to be kind (Ephesians 4:32).
It may sound basic, but in a society that worships sarcastic
comebacks and “me-first” attitudes, kindness is a lost art.
Julius, a high-ranking Roman official, was kind to his
prisoner Paul. On their maritime voyage to Rome, Julius
let Paul “go ashore to visit with friends so they could
provide for his needs” (Acts 27:3). Julius was lenient
when he could have been strict; permissive instead of
controlling—all to ensure Paul’s comfort. Kindness lends
a helping hand.
Kindness also protects the lives of defenseless people.
At one point in Paul’s journey, powerful waves began
to shred the boat into toothpicks. The guards decided
to kill the prisoners rather than let them escape into the
water. “But [Julius] wanted to spare Paul” (v.43), so he
put a stop to their evil plot. Amazingly, everyone made
it safely to Malta. The islanders were very kind there; in
the cold and rain, they kindled a welcoming fire (28:2).
Like the people of Malta, kindness may require us to show hospitality and greet
newcomers with open arms.
Maybe kindness is calling you to feed the hungry or to protect the defenseless.
Whatever you do, remember that each selfless act reflects God’s kind heart
toward us: “[God] is so rich in kindness and grace that He purchased our
freedom with the blood of His Son” (Ephesians 1:7). —Jennifer Benson Schuldt
Read Matthew 25:35-40
to see why kindness
matters to Jesus.
In what ways has God
showered His kindness
on you? What can you
do to show kindness to
someone this week?
Jeremy Camp - The Way (Slideshow with lyrics)
- Raise the Temperature - ...read more
- Always There - Do you believe that the Lord is always with you?...read more
- Seasons of Grief - Are you going through a season of grief where you are struggling to grieve?...read more
- John's Question - What steps can you take to seek God’s perspective in a current challenging situation?...read more
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more