Sometimes, holidays can be really difficult. For some, the holidays are a painful reminder of loss.
- Daily Devotional, July 22, 2011 "Invisible Fire"7/21/2011 - Marty, my hairdresser, told me about this guy she knows—he has flames tattooed on his scalp. With a full head of hair, no one can see the inferno on his skull.
- Daily Devotional, July 21, 2011 "Hurt to Help"7/20/2011 - One of professor Haddon Robinson’s seminary students once came to speak with him about her husband’s assignments. She told him that her husband was under a lot of pressure and had been working hard, but he was running behind on getting his work done. But rather than asking Haddon to cut her husband some slack, she asked him not to.
- Daily Devotional, July 20, 2011 "The Doubter's Prayer"7/19/2011 - Over the centuries, some biblical prayers have become particularly loved by Christians. The Lord’s Prayer is one them (Matthew 6:9-13). The Jesus Prayer (“Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner”), based on Luke 18:13, is highly regarded by the Eastern Orthodox Church.
- Daily Devotional, July 19, 2011 "Shredding Spaghetti"7/18/2011 - In a recent debate, Christian mathematician John Lennox argued for the reality of God with atheist scientist Richard Dawkins. In his writing and speaking, Dawkins will often talk about the “Flying Spaghetti Monster” as an analogy for belief in God.
- Daily Devotional, July 18, 2011 "Featuring Steven Curtis Chapman - Do Everything "7/17/2011 - I wrote the song “Do Everything” really to remind myself and also to encourage others that everything matters; everything we do can be done as an act of worship. 1 Corinthians 10 says, “Whatever you do, do it for the glory of God.”
- Daily Devotional, July 15, 2011 "Should I?"7/14/2011 - 1 Samuel 23:1-14 David asked, “Will the leaders of Keilah betray me and my men to Saul?” And the Lord replied, “Yes, they will betray you” (v.12).
- Daily Devotional, July 14, 2011 "New Way To Be Human"7/13/2011 - Last year, my wife Miska and I traveled to London. We enjoyed the standard sights (Westminster Abbey was a favorite), but mainly we spent our days walking the neighborhoods, visiting shops and cafes, soaking in a different way of life...
- Daily Devotional, July 13, 2011 "Featuring Matt Redman - Never Once"7/12/2011 - One of the major themes running throughout the bible is the faithfulness of God. He's constantly constant, and always who He says He will be.
- Daily Devotional, July 12, 2011 - "Starry Night"7/12/2011 - When poet, lecturer, and essayist Ralph Waldo Emerson was asked what people would do if the stars came out only once every thousand years, he replied, “If the stars should appear but one night every thousand years, how man would marvel and stare.”
- Daily Devotional, July 11, 2011 - "Having It All"7/10/2011 - New York City is known as “the city that never sleeps,” and for a time Scott Harrison was partly to blame. As one of the top nightclub promoters on the planet, his nocturnal dealings brought him notoriety, success, and wealth. In addition to his business proceeds, companies paid him thousands of dollars to endorse their stuff.
- Daily Devotional, July 8, 2011 - "Forgetting"7/7/2011 - The river bulkhead where the Augusta Canal and Savannah River meet is one of the most scenic places to go in our hometown. Swirling in giant eddies, the canal moves from placid to turbulent as it flows against the foundation of the canal works. One day as a friend and I took our children walking there, I tossed a rock into the waters’ flow.
- Daily Devotional, July 7, 2011 "Answers to Prayers"7/6/2011 - Two answers to prayer. Two perfect answers. The first came after many of us had prayed for a young adopted girl from Ethiopia. Before she was adopted, tests showed that she was HIV positive. After her adoption, however, subsequent tests revealed no signs of HIV. We rejoiced! The second answer came after a friend’s cancer returned.
- Daily Devotional, July 06, 2011 "Featuring Dara Maclean - Unreachable"7/5/2011 - I sat down at the piano one day and I was in "got to write a song" mode, which is never a good mode to be in. I started frustrating myself a bit, because I just couldn't tap into the right flow. So, I stopped and then did what I should have done from the start, I prayed.
- Daily Devotional, July 5, 2011 "Significance & Dignity"7/4/2011 - It was a night like any other night. It was David’s responsibility to tend the family flock, to take the sheep out to graze in the wilderness (Ps. 78:70-71). Having secured the flock for the night and lying down to rest, David gazed into the night sky. Inspired by the full moon and the brilliant stars (8:3), he thought of the glory of God and the dignity of humans.
- Daily Devotional, July 4, 2011 "Pray to God for Caesar"7/3/2011 - The Roman emperors demanded that their citizens demonstrate allegiance by kneeling before their image, pinching a bit of incense, and declaring, “Caesar is Lord.” Tertullian, a writer in the early church, would have none of it. He told the emperor that Christians would not pray to him as if he were a god but instead would pray to God for him.
- Daily Devotional, July 1, 2011 "Snitch!"6/30/2011 - A snitch is someone who freely gives up information about a friend or acquaintance. Because he volunteers information that often gets people arrested, evicted, or even killed, a snitch is considered one of the lowest people on the neighborhood food chain. People have a hard time forgiving a snitch.
No playlists found for this account.